Author Topic: Realizing a spell was cast on you  (Read 933 times)

Offline mtpnj

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Realizing a spell was cast on you
« on: March 28, 2014, 08:40:11 AM »
I am sure this is a topic discussed previously but I was unable to find through search.

If a spell was cast on you or you cast one on a npc and you or they resisted do you or the npc realize a spell was cast.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Re: Realizing a spell was cast on you
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 09:27:55 AM »
Mostly, it would depend on the type of spell.  For some spell types, if the RR is successful, the person realizes a spell was attempted.  If the RR fails, they may or may not know that a spell was cast, dependent on the spell type.  If it is a mental control spell, such as sleep, charm, etc., they will not realize a spell is cast.  If it is a spell that gives the caster physical, but not mental, control, then they do know the spell was cast and they failed to resist.

Other spell types would depend upon the GM.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 10:35:03 AM »
I think it could also depend on race. For example, a race more attuned to magic might be more "aware" that spells have been cast on them, even if they fail the RR. A highly-resistant race (dwarves, for example) might fall in the other extreme because magic effects them so rarely. In my game, for example, elves would be more likely to be aware that a spell had been cast on them based on their own magical nature. A caster regardless of race might also be more aware simply based on their own use of magic.

So I'd say it depends on how you view the races and the concept of magic in your game.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 11:55:10 AM »
Resist spell by 25+, know spell was cast on you.  Resist by 50+, know direction of spell user, which should make spotting them easier.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 02:17:16 AM »
We basically do something along the lines of yammahoper.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss