Author Topic: Creating a Summoning Trap, or How to Confuse Your PCs Something Rotten  (Read 2789 times)

Offline Aotrs Commander

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
As usual, lengthy context!

I once again find myself returning to dealing with Our Favourite Party. This motley collection of nutcases, whom we've been playing once or twice a year for the last fifteen years or so, always provide me with some difficulty. The trouble is, mutant bunch of freaks in reaction speed that they are (as in enemy-must-be-magic-time-ninjas to keep up with them...), and blessed with an unfortunate number of players who will roll open-ended on a regular basis, and well equipped with weapons and gear always cause me problems in how to oppose them.

The party is sci-fi, playing a Hideous Hybrid of RM and SM Editions The Likes Of Man Was Not Meant To Know (but mostly on RM2/SM2/RMC, but bits pulled from RMFP and RMSS and later editions of SM), and so on top of everything else, have shields...

They have, in recent years, come up against and got the better of a maxed-out 20th level, fully geared up, Armoured Adrenal Defenced, shielded Orc cyborg hero, duel wielding Omega-Osirsis Plasmatic Repeaters (he was REALLY strong) and on one notable occasion, two Greater Black Reavers with Sianetic Harbinger Anti-Porton Cannons and shields.

And they are level 10-11...! (There are about ten characters, though only about six-to-eight usually out and about at once.)

That last one, admittedly, is the cause of their current woes. While they ran like buggery from the Reavers (even they weren't daft enough to try and fight that), and took the Reaves out with their starship guns, the Reavers did infflict critical damage on said starship. (If it wasn't for Fate Points, they'd have blown the ship up twice...!) In any case the PC's ship is well screwed and they are right out on the fringes of the galaxy with nowhere to fix it. They have spent the last several (mis-)adventures since then pottering about and trying to find somewhere to get the ship fixed.

They will this time be landing on an abanonded alien station and looking for components. What they don't realise is that the old inhabitents are back, preparing to return to the universe from their pocket dimension, and a handful of their special forces have come to see what these creatures on their station are up to and learn what they can...

Thus, that is the premise of this advanture. The race themselves are a nominally female technolgical (i.e. in the way most robot races otherwise tend to be "male")nonhumanoid group. Highly advanced: and as with many such races, magic is not unknown. (The PCs actually ran into a spectral Undead of one of their spellcasters in their last adventure, though they may not realise it - their onw Archmage took it out eventually, but in the procress had an unfortunate encounter with Black Channels III: Uurulic Eye...!)

That fight actually kept them on their toes, since it was immune to non-magic physical attacks and had a +200 DB verses non-magic energy attacks - mostly to give the archmage a chance to shine, though the party are not without a few magic weapons.

In any case, as with my D&D games (out 3.x rules have so many modifcations that I call it 3.Aotrs, so it's not any less mutant hybrid than our Rolemaster...!), spellcasting is doing a reasonable job of countering their spellcasting (as the Archmage is fond of using Haste...!) So I wanted to throw a caster in the mix with these aliens as well.

Anyway, my nominal plan is for the Yrgynela to be sneaking around (preferrably boosted with magical stealth, though they have some natural skills in that area, but scanners are otherwise a bugger to deal with!) and prod a bit at the PCs before trying  direct confrontation.

In particualr, I thought it might be jolly to have them set up some impromptu traps - such as the old gem of a summoning trap: something that when triggered, summoned a pile of demons (because why not). (Part of the point is to NOT have something reminiscent of the Yrgynela themselves - because whay would you, human summoners don't! - so the reveal comes as a bit more of a surprise.)

And, finally, we come to the point of this post!

I am having difficulty in finding a way to accomplish that other by just DM fiat. With careful inspection, I found a Contingency spell (RoCom1), which could be with the background option Spacial Skills be moved from "self" to "touch" range. So that sets the trap option - trouble is, the summoning spells in Rolemaster leave rather a lot to be desired. The actual demon-summoning spells (Cleric or Evil Magician Base) are, well, crap. The best option is in the latter, and that gives you one demon of up to maybe type III without going well up into 20th+ level (and the inherent dangers of a high-level spellcaster's RRs being too hard for the PCs to make - they about managed against the wraith thing (which was 15th), but I wouldn't want to go much higher).

And the type III demons - unless I find something better in C&T II and III - are pretty rubbish, as about all they'll be ble to do with serious rebuilds as actuyal characters is flail ineffectively against the party's shields. Further, you can't have more than on Contingency, so you can't attempt to summon more than one - and on top of that, without being controlled the demons vanish after two rounds.

So that idea seems mostly out of the window.

I have instead been toying with the idea of Elemental summons from Elemental Companion - though the definition of the summons is a bit vague, I might be able to rationalise summoning a dragon (!) through Summon Lesser Elemental Being though again, without being high level, I doubt it'll last long as a single target!

The cleric Summon [whatever] spells would allow more numbers, but only of low-level creatures...

So, I'm at a bit of a loss. Before I give up and resort to fiat, I thought I would toss the question out to these forums and see if anyone could come up with a solution or perhaps a better idea.

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Creating a Summoning Trap, or How to Confuse Your PCs Something Rotten
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 09:12:37 AM »
I'm more familiar with RMSS than RMC/RM2, but would a Ward from Ward Mastery work?  They're triggered by external stimuli, and "store" a spell already cast.  You'd need several to summon several demons, but that may be a reasonable path.

Offline Aotrs Commander

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 10:01:49 AM »
Possibly, though that is dependant on whether I can find that spell list in my books! What book is that from?

(I don't quite have every book from the last... oh dear, four? Five? versions of Rolemaster... While I think I have Spell Law from 1st, 2nd, Of Essense from RMFRP and Spell Law Classic (all but the 2nd were mostly to reduce the wear on my twenty-year old and falling apart Spell Law - and in practise I still use that anyway!), it does not appear I have Spell Law from RMSS. (I do have every book from RM2 and SM1, plus much of SM:P - which we use most heavily - and supplemental material from RM around that era (and the core RMSS rulebook), plus a few books from RMFRP and the core books from RMC.)

On the other hand, while searching I did find that in Of Essence, the old Dark Summons list had been broken into two parts and the demon-y bit moved to Entity Mastery, which gives it a slightly higher level of utility on the elemental side (since the Strong elemental spell is only level 11, and if uncontrolled, they last 2-20 rounds).

So that is another possible option for the actual summoned creature side, at any rate.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 11:37:32 AM »
demonic gate spell with an arcane SPELL TRIGGER should do the job.  See RMCI or Arcane Companion.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 06:32:15 PM »
(a) If there are rocks available, Symbols are fine for magical traps. Wondering why a room in a space station is lined with what looks like stone might tip the PCs off, but then, good for them.

(b) It is hardly surprising that creatures designed to challenge someone with a big knife, a wooden board, and a metal shirt do not fare so well against those with force shields and automatic energy weapons. You can either enhance demonic abilities, carefully pick foes and tactics to maximize effectiveness, or let the demons have advanced gear, too. Demon cyborgs?

(c) For that matter, does the summoning have to be magical? A high-tech transdimensional teleporter would do nicely, if that technology would fit the setting.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
  • Ask me about the Rolemastery blog.
    • My homepage
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 11:48:01 PM »
If magical, remember those two essential magic words...

Spell Mastery.... :)
Formerly: ghyle.

Rolemastery blog: http://rolemastery.blogspot.com.au/

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 12:46:31 AM »
Or throw in:

- An intelligent magical item that is summoning the demons using its powers, because, well, magical items need protection.

- Summon Pale V demons, that in my campaigns are known as: Technodemons. Kit them out with some arcane variants of plasmatic repeaters, shielding and melee devices. They are capable of punching through steel, wear armor and maybe one or two have really special "siege" equipment that can finish off a starship.

- Rituals are a GMs friend: do stuff you invent on the spot; increase casting time a lot and simply create the gem you want. I call this GM fiat, by rules.

- go the other way and SUCK the PCs in the gem that for some reason holds a replica of wherever the gem is found, except PCs now lack their magical/ technological equipment, but must deal with a butt load of pale III and pale IV demons infesting the wherever, using just what they find...

- Instead of neatly summoning creatures, the magical trap could be used to create a hole in space/ time/ dimensions and demons waiting start to pour out. (Iak Sakkaak!!!)

- From the depths of the ancient space mine, a drum beat can be heard occasionally and distantly, until a small and clumsy person tosses a bucket in a deep hole, then the drum beat begins to take on frenzied and urgent pace.

- Those touching the terribly cursed gem, reveal a secondary reality filled with gnashing and threshing demons bent on protecting their gem...

- An alien contingent of explorers see the battered ship approaching the deserted moonbase they are stranded on and decide that it is their ticket for getting off the blasted moon. The PCs wander in a base (called moon gem) that is set up as a trap and filled with rampaging demons, while the aliens prepare to conquer the PCs ship using summoned and controlled demons.

Game On!

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 11:36:32 AM »
A mere glyph or ward would do the trick. There are several glyphs/wards lists, in the RoCoI, the RoCoII, the EC, etc.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Aotrs Commander

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 09:41:45 AM »
First, thanks for the responses!

Glyphs and wards would be ideal (in my initial idea, the PCs would wander into a room full of gubbins and see a big shiny thing in the middle of the floor and think "wonder that that is? Everything else around here is technogical so what is that doi-oh crap." Or something). I'll look into those first when I next get my books out (I've got a bit of time, the session is going to be our Christmas one.)

rdanhenry also mentioned rocks - I can certainly do crystals, since one of the things I intend for them to run across is a room filled with decorative crystal formations and water features (basically a display room/gardern sort of thing.)

(I'm actually wondering how long it will be before the PCs realise they are, in fact, actually at Space IKEA... As that, in fact, was the final pieces of inspiration for this adventure! I knew they got to go to the alien station, and I knew they'd be running into the aliens, but I'd stalled on everything else, so it's been nearly eighteen months since we last played. Then I went to IKEA with my Mum (for only the second time ever), and as we walking around, I made the comment that the layout was such it was like almost a biome of furniture. And then I went "huh!")

With regard to the demons, I was just expecting a bit more out of them, I think. I've used the Vlathachna (Nathnarlnachna if you don't have Dark Space...) before in sci-fi, without having to do much of anything. (Admittedly, the PCs were a bit lower level then - but there were two parties brought together for a big two-day crossover (it was my 18th). The single Carach I set on them made most of them go wibbly... Also that adventure was marked by 60% of all the permenant PC deaths of my twenty-year DMing career, 40% of them from said Carach eating their souls... One of them did go nout i style, though, trying to headbutt it, as it held him in hit's tentacles - then I rolled ridiculously open-ended on its attack roll and he less was bitten that violently splashed all over the corridor. Hell of a way to go out...)

I figured I might have to boost them a bit (by psuedo-character generation and assigning actual skills!) I just wasn't expecting them to need qite that much of a boost...! Must remember to check the later books for demons to: both C&T II and III and whichever of the companions had some in. (After all, that was where the Greater Black Reavers came from. One of RoCo III, IC or V, I think.)

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 05:02:03 PM »
RoCo I to be precise.
Game On!

Offline Aotrs Commander

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 09:40:33 AM »
Oh-hoho!

RoCoI indeed! Home of the carnivorous flying squirrel, the cause of another sci-fi party of mine to scream with frustation that they wold be better off being shot (ah, the days before Weaspons Law: Firearms!), RoCoI's Warrior Demons seem to be nearly specifically written for the job. Much beefier for the their type classification, and come in a number when summoned instead of individually!

Though I think there's something to be said for the C&T II Demonic Protoplasm as well, to start off, and then have it disgorge a load of warrior demons as it's first action... But probably not in this instance, thinking about it, since with the PCs freakish mutant reaction speeds, without fiat to give it a surprise action (already dubious when it takes two rounds of the summoned demons to form), it'll be dead before it gets to do anything! (That might be an option for an actual confrontation with the caster proper, if she's got a couple of rounds.)

A 15th level caster (Archmage) can create glyph (Glyph VII, 14th, RoCoII). Using Entity Mastery (Of Essense, RMFRP, which is slightly more flexible than the RM2/RMC Dark Summons list*), the caster can put in a Lesser Demonic Gate (5th, random chance of I-III demons, DM adjudicated to III Spear Demons), and as they come in, from a hidden location within 300' (or possible more if I look into range extension spells), the caster throws a 13th level Entity Master III (instantaneous spell), to keep from taking the criticals for summoning uncontrolled demons and two keep them from leaving after two rounds.

You could, as also suggested, replace the glyph with a similar level Ward VII from RoCoI's Warding Ways, which has better trigger conditions and lasts longer - but in this case, if the PCs realise it's a Glyph, the short duration will clue them in to the fact that it's not been here for thousands of years or even just hours. (And the glyoh is visible, so they'll likely go and have look!)

Having just checked the PCs OBs and DBs... Yeah, I'd have to be up to Sword Demons before melee was a threat to most of them (with their damn shields, most of the party's DBs are in the 175-200 range verses melee!!) That said, they don't know that. And, as I'm going to be pushing the Sword Demon's stats up a bit, it'll be into the Innate Stat Ability range, and I'll add a much needed ability to increase the effective AE (and thus shield drain). Which will at least worry them, since they don't have an unlimited supply of power cells!

*It's a big universe, and there's no reason you can't use lists from different editions to represent slightly different version of the same list from different places or updated versions of said spells - spell research and improvement shjould be no less static than technology of course!

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 02:34:53 PM »
Archmage 15th?
I'd suggest you then use, Glyph VII (important, put the glyph high on the air), Waiting Glyph VII (it adjusts the glyph to: 1. Last longer [ONE DAY PER LEVEL!!!], 2. Be triggered BY AN EVENT instead of the usual restrictive, "entering the area", condition), Invisibility I (now, the glyph cannot be seen any longer!). There.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Aotrs Commander

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 05:42:36 PM »
Archmage 15th?
I'd suggest you then use, Glyph VII (important, put the glyph high on the air), Waiting Glyph VII (it adjusts the glyph to: 1. Last longer [ONE DAY PER LEVEL!!!], 2. Be triggered BY AN EVENT instead of the usual restrictive, "entering the area", condition), Invisibility I (now, the glyph cannot be seen any longer!). There.

Ah, but I WANT them to see the glyph. (One of the other reasons I didn't use the wards.) Oh, they'll trigger it, trust me...! They'll wander up to within 10' to have a look I'm sure (and if they aren't very careful!) And if, by uncharacteristic chance, they don't, there's two NPCs who it would be totally in character to wander over to do so... (One is a maniac with a chainsaw and shotgun who lairs in the brig, and the other is a walking fish notorious for his random behavior...) It'll be the first indication that this station is not as abandoned as they thought. The shorter duration is fine, because Miss Caster Robot will have laid it just before they enter the room and will be watching from the shadows with interest what they do...

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 08:58:32 AM »
Ah, but I WANT them to see the glyph.
Ah, sorry: I misunderstood your initial statement about the matter.