Author Topic: Arcane Magic Anyone?  (Read 3778 times)

Offline sulkow82

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The truth is subversive.
Arcane Magic Anyone?
« on: August 03, 2009, 05:26:47 PM »
Hello,
How many out there actively use arcane magic in their system as a "fourth realm" of magic?  Also, what is your explanation on how arcane magic draws its power?

-Kantron
...formerly known as Kantron.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Arcane Magic Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 06:01:07 PM »
 I have one and off and the rules in the book say that Arcane magic is the combination of all of the realms. It is much more dangerous than the 3 realms and is in fact the precursor of the 3 realms but do to the ability to refine the 3 realms, Arcane magic fell mostly by the wayside.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Gladmire

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 06:47:53 PM »
I have to agree with markc. I also used arcane magic the same way and although I did not use it all the time I did use it to explain some of the more powerfull items from RMC1 (1980's publication) like "chaos dice, the singing sword and the lich crown. My storytelling revolved around the reappearance of these items through "Arcane Magic". If nothing else its a great storytelling tool to bring back some of the older stuff. ;D
Artist & Author

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 09:17:25 AM »
Well, I don't make a distinction between realms of magic, as far as spells are concerned (i.e. a spell is not part of any realm in particular), so my answer may not be what you wanted, but... To me, realms of magic merely define the magical power source and, as such, are arcanists magic-users drawing power directly from the Fabric of Reality, people whose magical energy is the energy tying together Reality itself. Needless to say, you can count them on the fingers of one hand, even across the hundreds millennia since sentient beings had existed in my world --including when taking into account the gods! ^^;;;;;
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 04:24:33 AM »
I have Arcane as a fourth realm.
/Pa Staav

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 11:20:56 AM »
We equate arcane with aessance from SW - the initial priman magic that is more versatile but more difficult to use and control.  As such it isn't so much a fouth realm as the other three realms are 'children' of the arcane or rather more specialized more easily managable forms of magic.  Conisder a Swiss army knife - one of the huge ones with 75 different gadgets on it.  Most people would end up using only a few of the tools (does anybody use the toothpick for tooth picking??).  Arcane users might use all 75 of them but might end up breaking them using the wrong tool for the wrong job and perhaps cutting a figer in the process.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 09:31:50 PM »
While I have used it as a "4th" realm / combined / yadda-yadda in the past, I have come to prefer to see it as the actual magic magic. It is essence and works just like that for RRs and all other per tinant ways.

In fact, I like to think of all magic as the same energy it is only how you manipulate it that makes any difference. Magic is magic, whether you are granted it's use through devotion to your god(s), have an inner-power, or are able to tap into the natural essence of the world. In that way, you can have a single Magic RR modifier and no have to keep track of three.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Salad Man

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 10:54:38 PM »
I developed a grudge against it as a player; the starting group of 2nd and 3rd level characters got overshadowed by 2 1st level arcane characters.  I've never thought it was balanced.  In hindsight I think the GM didn't like to let pcs die on random rolls, so the increased spell failure chance was meaningless.  Letting the dice fall as they may I suppose it might work after all, but that spell failure chance is the only balancing mechanism I can see.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss.
-RAH

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 11:31:24 PM »
 I levee a -1 or -2 level penalty for people to play Arcane spell users do to their increased functionality but that it my game only and a house rule.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 01:03:05 AM »
I have a folder with some notes tentatively title "Alternative to the Arcane Companion". Not only did ArcComp do what I did not care for (I've always preferred the triple hybrid approach to the "primal magic" version) it did not do what it did do very well IMO. Not that there's nothing there worth salvaging, but it is probably my all time least favorite Companion.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 02:10:25 AM »
We use Arcane as the primal source of all magic, i.e. magic before it was refined into different realms.
You could say it's kind of a realm of its own but at the same time a three realm hybrid. We haven't had any issues so far so I guess it's workig out quite well for us.
In RM even the mightiest of PC's may fall due to an unlucky roll of the die so we rarely have power issues and no pc is ever an army of it's own. We've never played +10 lv characters but not even the mightiest of our lv 10 pc's could have survived and made a successful career on his own. The group is always needed.
Arcane Companion is collecting dust in the book shelf.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 01:23:15 PM »
I have a folder with some notes tentatively title "Alternative to the Arcane Companion". Not only did ArcComp do what I did not care for (I've always preferred the triple hybrid approach to the "primal magic" version) it did not do what it did do very well IMO. Not that there's nothing there worth salvaging, but it is probably my all time least favorite Companion.

Are you talking about the RMSS Arcane Comp or the RM2 Arcane Comp?
MDC

Edit:
No RM2 Arcane Comp. My bad.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 02:22:09 PM by markc, Reason: Mistake »
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 01:59:17 PM »
Is there an RM2 Arcane Companion? I must have missed that one?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 02:21:37 PM »
Oop's sorry my bad I was thinking about the Alchemy Comp. Today is my birthday and I am constantly being distracted by things.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 12:47:51 PM »
Arcane as a realm was never meant to be something that could be your primary focus. The Archmage was introduced along with arcane magic and as such he was the one most naturally disposed towards arcane magics. The relatively easy access to arcane magic was balanced out by having twice as high a spell list acquisition cost as other hybrid and pure spell users. Granted this was in the original Rm2 setting. What was done with arcane companion was an incredible mistake and could it be withdrawn... well :D 

Arcane adds great flavor but if you reduce it to being a 4.th realm equal to the others with pure/hybrids or semi it looses it's charm and merit for existence.
Many of the original arcane lists were well original and able to do stuff that was not possible with the spells already out there. this is what gave it merit as a realm of magic.

As to your question Thrud there is no arcane companion for Rm2 but there is a section in spell users companion stipulating the difference between arcane magic and what they introduce as omni realm lists.

Offline Greyaxe

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Raise the Dead,
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 01:25:06 PM »
I use it, as a fourth realm but it is influenced by all three realms.  Meaning if you have an arcane spell operating and someone casts Dispel/Cancel Essence or Channeling or Mentalism it will affect the Arcane spell as though it were of the proper realm. (Arcane being more powerful but also more unstable).  I am also a big fan of corruption points and use them heavily with Arcane casting.
My motto:  Go big or Stay Home!
To win without peril is to triumph without glory.
Disclaimer: All of Greyaxe's statements are spoken and written with sarcasm and double meaning, unless the reader says the post is brilliant and insightful as written in which case it was intend that way.

Offline Fenrhyl Wulfson

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 06:59:24 AM »
I use it as described in the Arcane Companion. I never had any issue with it, since I respect each and every rule that promotes an "higher power at higher risks" approach. I don't allow wizard hunters or chaotics though, they don't fit in my setting.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 07:12:52 AM by Fenrhyl Wulfson »

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
    • ICE Roleplaying WebRing
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2009, 11:00:57 AM »
I believe the majority of the information on Arcane Magic for RM2 is in Companion 1
Brent Knorr...
Ringmaster:ICE Roleplaying Webring - http://www.icewebring.com

Offline black flag

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2009, 12:06:31 PM »
I use Arcane magic in my game sessions (RMC/RM2); Archmages are limited to Elves with their elder magic traditions. But with Arcane, game masters must work on the Ley lines and Earthnodes, without these Arcane is a non-sense! I like very much this magic related to the planet. I use the lists from the new RoCo I and others from my old RoCo.
Troll humour:
"What would You say to a Dwarf with 12 helmets on? Nothin', you just hit him in the stomach instead! Ugh,Ugh"
"Why did the Dwarf cross the road? Because I said if he didn't I'd cut off his feet and stick them up his nose!Ugh,Ugh"
From Titan the Fighting&