Author Topic: Dwellers of the Forbidden City crossover  (Read 850 times)

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Dwellers of the Forbidden City crossover
« on: May 10, 2022, 04:16:18 PM »
I have the old Dwellers of the Forbidden City module.  Yay!

But I have a dilemma.  How to convert it to RMSS or RMC (my cousin, Soulcleave, wants to play the module in Rolemaster).  It's the module that introduces the Yaun-ti.  Now, I know the old Creatures and Treasures have conversion stats for AD&D creatures.  But the module also has giant snakes, tasloi, giant yellow jackets, rust monsters, and other D&D monsters.  The module was inspired by pulp fantasy like Conan the Barbarian.

When I did the adventure for Pathfinder, I set it in the Forgotten Realms.  Can I place it in Shadow World somewhere?

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Dwellers of the Forbidden City crossover
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 04:48:38 PM »
Not knowing too much about it, but I don't think it would be difficult to find somewhere in Shadow World to set it. I think Khum-Kaan (newly described in Terry's recently released Emer III) might work best.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 05:34:06 PM »
Not knowing too much about it, but I don't think it would be difficult to find somewhere in Shadow World to set it. I think Khum-Kaan (newly described in Terry's recently released Emer III) might work best.

That's because it's a rainforest/jungle.  Yes, that might work.  I'll have to get Emer III soon.  I wonder if I can get it before Soulcleave's birthday.

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 10:11:29 AM »
I have the old Dwellers of the Forbidden City module.  Yay!

But I have a dilemma.  How to convert it to RMSS or RMC (my cousin, Soulcleave, wants to play the module in Rolemaster).  It's the module that introduces the Yaun-ti.  Now, I know the old Creatures and Treasures have conversion stats for AD&D creatures.  But the module also has giant snakes, tasloi, giant yellow jackets, rust monsters, and other D&D monsters.  The module was inspired by pulp fantasy like Conan the Barbarian.

When I did the adventure for Pathfinder, I set it in the Forgotten Realms.  Can I place it in Shadow World somewhere?

The easiest thing would be to find the equivalent in C&T (I'm sure there are stats for giant snakes in there) and for the other creatures, either create/convert them yourself, or find an equivalent creature to sub in/use their stats. Like, just use goblin stats for Tasloi with a -20 to all perception rolls to notice them when they are sneaking. Bam.

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2022, 04:53:44 PM »
I'm looking at C&T right now. :)

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 03:59:01 PM »
Take a look at this and tell me if it's balanced.  My copy of original C&T is in storage, so I'm converting this without advice.

Yuan-ti Abomination stats (human/snake hybrid with arms and hands, snake head, and body). This conversion refers to the version of Yuan ti located in Dwellers of the Forbidden City, page 27.  It also uses the python/boa constrictor stats as base.

Level: 9D; Base/Rate: 30; Max Pace/MN Bonus: Run/0;
Speed MS/AQ: VS/MD; Size/Crit: M/--; Hits: 40D;
AT(DB): 3(30); Attacks: 70 SBi, 30/60 MGr, 70/90 LGr, 80 Melee/60 Missile, Spells*;
No. Encountered: 1-4; Treasure: special; Outlook (IQ): Aggressive (Genius)

* The Yaun ti are psionic and will use the Psionics powers listed in the Spell Users Companion up to their level.  If the SUC is unavailable, the Yuan ti will use Mentalist Base Lists plus one evil Mentalist base list to their level, as in Spell Law.

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2022, 02:07:23 AM »
Take a look at this and tell me if it's balanced.  My copy of original C&T is in storage, so I'm converting this without advice.

Yuan-ti Abomination stats (human/snake hybrid with arms and hands, snake head, and body). This conversion refers to the version of Yuan ti located in Dwellers of the Forbidden City, page 27.  It also uses the python/boa constrictor stats as base.

Level: 9D; Base/Rate: 30; Max Pace/MN Bonus: Run/0;
Speed MS/AQ: VS/MD; Size/Crit: M/--; Hits: 40D;
AT(DB): 3(30); Attacks: 70 SBi, 30/60 MGr, 70/90 LGr, 80 Melee/60 Missile, Spells*;
No. Encountered: 1-4; Treasure: special; Outlook (IQ): Aggressive (Genius)

* The Yaun ti are psionic and will use the Psionics powers listed in the Spell Users Companion up to their level.  If the SUC is unavailable, the Yuan ti will use Mentalist Base Lists plus one evil Mentalist base list to their level, as in Spell Law.

Looking at the conversion notes both from the RM2 C&T and the 3.5E Notes, i dont come up with those numbers.

Did you mix up the three creature stats ?

Pureblood Yuan-Ti would be Level 9, but have other stats, Hybrid and Abominations have even higher levels.

AC4 converts to AT4(+30)

Pureblood OB ... AT#1 / HD6 x 8 + 10 = 58

and so the list goes on.
I'd swallow cthulhu whole, with sushi and soy-sauce.

Currently: [BME] [FitD]
Legacy: [d6] [Genesys] [ArsMagicka] [MERP] [HARP] [Ubiquity] [d20] [WoD] [SR] [WHFRP] [WOIN/O.L.D.] [RM2/C]