Author Topic: GM: How Long Do You Give Players to Write a Background?  (Read 1027 times)

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
GM: How Long Do You Give Players to Write a Background?
« on: October 22, 2016, 07:53:14 AM »
This just popped into me frond.

Answer: For me it depends.  Has the player had time to actually read my history handout (HH)?

If not, then I'll let the player create and start playing the character, allowing up to a week.

If they have read the HH, but no time to actually work on the CG (Character Background), again up to a week, but perhaps create a blurb, after PCGen is finished.

If they have read the HH and had a day, or two, or three, then I expect at least a few paragraphs, up to a page, or two, or three.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
Re: GM: How Long Do You Give Players to Write a Background?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 11:56:21 AM »
Between my GM announcing that he was going to run a campaign and the  first session took 19 months. I had my character with background ready within an hour of being told he would run the game. Two of the players had no backgrounds until 6 months ago and one player was still writing it when we started playing.

The moral is  that some people will only do it when nagged into doing it and others will not even start until the deadline you set.

I have  so many characters in my head that I would love to play that I could give a GM a concept with background instantly.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 02:56:19 PM »
I tend to give them a week or two...depending on a number of factors. With my fantasy stuff, they roll for origin first, so they get the cultural background info and all that prior to stat generation. Typically there's a week or so in there for them to play with. My non-fantasy stuff varies depending on setting, but normally that comes quicker.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 12:05:28 AM »
As much as they want, really. My games are an activity for fun, and if they enjoy making a backstory, that's fine, but if they don't, that doesn't diminish anyone's fun.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 12:36:46 PM »
If we are gaming immediately after we make the character, I only want something quick and verbal so I have something to work with and it gives me some ingredients to work with so I can come up with a reasonable reason as to why this collection of people are going on this adventure.  Most jot down notes and have something better by the end of the session or before the next session.

I don't really require any background, but I'll probe for a little more info as we play and I'll try to get the player to invest a little more thought into the background.  I do like a little more than "he's a wanderer, has no family, so he goes from town to town looking for work."
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 02:03:54 PM »
I want something before the game starts, but in a pinch I would have a conversation with the player, suggest some options if necessary, and work something out. Written is better but not mandatory.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster