Author Topic: Worlds to play in  (Read 1983 times)

Offline IronSoul_AMS

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Worlds to play in
« on: November 16, 2014, 05:52:17 PM »
So I am starting up my first Role Master campaign,but am having difficulty trying to create a world,and having to map it out for my players. Is there maybe a decent world setting and map that is either a  general world map,or something even more constructed?

Also since I am using the New Role Master rules for my home game,how do I go about Monsters do I just use Role Master 4th Edition books? Since this is my first time GMing my own game. ((Did a few Co-op GMing)) Any suggestions?

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Worlds to play in
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 06:22:03 PM »
If you want some really beautiful maps, go here http://ghmaps.net/: . They are for the AD&D RPG World of Greyhawk, but you can use them for your own just fine. Otherwise, I suggest just Type in "Fantasy World Maps" in Goggle Images, you will a ton. Then, when you want villages, towns, cities, dungeons, whatever, just use type in what you are looking for and viola! A whole bunch will pop up. I have done it many times and have several gigs of images (like 30-50 GB).
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline IronSoul_AMS

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 06:27:46 PM »
Thanks! But what do I do about Monsters? Should I use 4th edition monster rules?

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 11:49:25 PM »
I you're looking for ready to run adventures, not just a setting, then I'd take a look at Shadow World or Echoes of Heaven, the authors of both are around here (Terry Amthor and Robert Defendi).

(Edit) I should qualify those.... Shadow World is RM2 based, but I think it would be far easier than trying to convert D&D stuff.   Echoes of Heaven is for HARP and would be a little more difficult to convert, but still easier than D&D.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 12:51:42 AM »
EoH has been provided with many different system rules; D&D, HARP, RMSS/FRP and Hero IIRC.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 01:44:20 AM »
Shadow World is multistatted for RM2/C and RMSS/FRP

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 06:54:28 AM »
I you're looking for ready to run adventures, not just a setting, then I'd take a look at Shadow World or Echoes of Heaven, the authors of both are around here (Terry Amthor and Robert Defendi).

I second that as well. 

1) Shadow World has great "companions" if you want to look at them in that sense.  While they are part of a larger world system, the individual books are great add-ins to an existing world, or in your case, a great jumping off point. 

I picked up Quellbourne many years ago to see what a "pre-made world" for RM looked like.  I knew D&D had their own pre-made worlds and all the adventures took place inside that world and it was one of the reasons I am put off by that system.  I started to looked at the Companion and I fell in love with the world, at the very least, I fell in love with that little portion of the world.  Now that I've started GM-ing again for newbies and for my own family, I've started looking into getting more of those modules.  I can use them as stand alone adventures, or I can incorporate them as permanent locales within my own world.  You can easily run a 4-5 quests out of Quellbourne alone.

2) When I first started GM-ing back in college, I asked one of our most creative GM's how he did it.  How did he come up with all of these amazing adventures and ideas?  He said "It's simple.  Create an adventure that YOU want to be in; a world that would be fun to you, then it goes from there.  If YOU or your character want to be there, and it's interesting to you, then you start having fun.  Once you are having fun as the GM, everyone else gets into it and starts to have fun."

Once you are having fun in your own little world, it's easier and to deal with questions as they pop up.  Once you start having a blast with your creation, the players feed off that excitement and they help your world develop.

If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 10:31:28 AM »
With regard to your question about monster stats, there are some examples here:
http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=12671.0
http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=13858.0

I also found it helpful to use the character spreadsheet to make sample characters at various levels for reference as generic NPCs.

It's probably ok to use creatures out of RM2/RMC and RMSS/RMFRP. You'll have to make some little adjustments here and there (e.g. change the AT) and it wouldn't hurt to eyeball the bonuses, but should be close enough. As a general rule, start on the light side, look at how your players do, and adjust accordingly. What they can actually handle depends partly on the rules, partly on the kinds of characters they made, partly on their cleverness, and partly on how well they work together. 75% of that has nothing to do with the rules, so you'll always have to adjust.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Defendi

• Final Redoubt
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 05:50:43 PM »
I dropped my Hero License for EoH, but the others are still available.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 03:26:11 AM »
It will be hard to get your hands on now but Sanctuary - Thieves World is a fantastic setting. Its a city with maps and npcs and an extensive history with very general info about the surrounding area but to be honest your players may not ever want to leave the city of Sanctuary, it is that good.

here is a link to the thread i started recently detailing my rolemaster campaign set in Thieves World. http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=15580.0

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 06:07:19 AM »
Welcome to the ICE Forums.

I live the Thrives World fiction back in the day and I agree the setting has lots of potential.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 11:54:38 AM »
Welcome to the ICE Forums.

I live the Thrives World fiction back in the day and I agree the setting has lots of potential.
MDC

the sourcebooks for the TW rpg are gr8. maps of the city and the maze as well as many businesses in the city make your job as GM easy. The GM Guide has excellent random encounter tables which not only bring the setting to life but make its dangerous to be caught in certain areas of the city, especially at night. I was lucky enough to get my hands on TW early on and have also picked up the 3 modules they produced in support of the setting which further flesh out areas and peronalities in the city of Sanctuary.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 02:56:00 PM »
It will be hard to get your hands on now but Sanctuary - Thieves World is a fantastic setting. Its a city with maps and npcs and an extensive history with very general info about the surrounding area but to be honest your players may not ever want to leave the city of Sanctuary, it is that good.

here is a link to the thread i started recently detailing my rolemaster campaign set in Thieves World. http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=15580.0
There is also Haven (http://www.nobleknight.com/productdetailsearch.asp_Q_ProductID_E_15928_A_InventoryID_E_0), but it too is fairly rare. It has a lot of detail about the city proper, and less about the world around it so you have room to place your own stuff.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Onirim

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • DeviantArt Galery
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 03:36:54 PM »
At a GM, I use the Forgotten Realms setting, and a Celtic semi-historic setting.
RM is good for fantasy settings and historic/realistic ones :)
RM2/SM2 french gamemaster