Author Topic: how to determin the level strength of monsters for your adventures by party memb  (Read 3253 times)

Offline Althalus

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Hello,

i am starting a new campaign.

how do i identify encounter monsters level according to the parties levels to keep it challenging but not too hard/lethal.

thanks for your input!

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I usually take the level of the players as a base level of creatures to encounter + 1 for amount of players. 5 1st level characters = 10 levels of creatures encountered or 5 level 2 orcs, or one Ogre (8th Level) or a scouting party of goblins 5 Level 1 and a commander level 3 or 4. That way the characters are not entirely over whelmed but are challenged. If using big creatures like an Ogre or something that does a lot of damage, then limit the number and add lesser creatures if you think one creature will not be challenging enough. Remember that overcoming a foe does not have to be by combat, they can slip past the obstacle to earn experience to overcome the challenge too.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
I wouldn't be much help I don't think.  I'd just 'eyeball' it really.  But then, as a GM, I'll track my players characters pretty well so I can refer to them when putting together encounters ahead of time.  So I'd always have the players characters stats on-hand.

Also, IMO, it's a healthy thing for your group to realize there are times when they just need to run. :)  On occasion I'd setup a combat that they really aren't intended to overcome.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Marrethiel

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Total OB and DB is what I use. In the end all other things balance out.
If you get the players to write down their primary OB and non spell buffed DB's then compare this to the mobs. So you probably only want to put them up against half this for most fights unless they have tactical advantages like stealth or magic. You can always slowly up the ratio until you are comfortable for your group and its power level.

EDIT: You can always have more orcs come in the door or around the corner.
Gatekeeper to the Under-Dark: "Why are you seeking passage?"
Kal-El pauses in thought (briefly contemplating how to manage the Never Lie and Always Deceive curses on him), "I came to conquer all know-able universes".
Gatekeeper: You may pass.
Gatekeeper: Who are you?
Kal El: A tourist

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
In the first couple of sessions, my parties usually face human adversaries (bandits, local thugs, and so on), so it's easy to do a level-to-level comparison. As they get more comfortable with the system and develop their tactics, I start factoring in monsters and things like Orcs. Like Marrethiel I find it more useful to compare OB and/or spell lists and skill bonuses rather than the raw level numbers. And, like Cory, I occasionally put in encounters where the party had better be smart enough to know how to run.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
Initially I  do levels as well. Later I calculate the "melee" levels and "magic" levels (splitting semis accordingly) and throw in modifiers due to items carried and figure from there as some foes will be more magical than melee or I may build an opposing mixed force (a mage and minions).
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline tulgurth

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I try to match levels, but like Cory I always give my players 3 options:

#1:  They can Talk
#2:  They can Walk
#3:  They can Fight

Of course there is always the chance that one or two of the options can be removed from the equation based on how the group responds to the encounter. 

However if the encounter is a "Set Encounter", meaning the particular encounter is always there, and I do have a couple that are set up, matching to the party abilities and levels is not an option there, they get what they ran in to, plain and simple.  These are normally in out of the way locations where low level groups have no right being.

Offline Frabby

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I've long maintained that the difficulty of obstacles (including the level/strength of monsters and other opponents) should be fixed, and must never be "balanced" against the players.
What's the point of gaining a level when the world around you suddenly gains a level as well?

Our group is low-powered, and our plots are story-driven. Combat happens and is often unavoidable, but it is not the goal of our gaming and we award XP for problem solving and roleplaying, not for dice rolling as such. In this setup, the players are expected to know their place: Unless you feel your character is a master swordsman (and has the stats to show for it), picking fights may not be a good idea. Especially as under Rolemaster rules, combat has a dangerous random element and even the lowliest opponent has a real chance to land a lucky hit on you.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Frabby,
 I agree whole heartedly, IMHO plots and encounters should be story driven and not level driven.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline adanost

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Sailin' the waves
A level system like tbigness proposses work great for low levels, after that experience will tell you more than any formula. The tactics of the PCs will determine how to challenge them with more defying encounters.
Ricard
Devoted GM

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Using total levels is a start, but I have found it by itself is not enough, because a solo creatures tend not to be as challenging as groups of creatures. If the party is 5 level 1 PCs, then a single level 5 creature will generally (IMHO) not challenge them as much as 5 level 1 orcs, simply because a single high roll on an attack or critical can end the level 5 creature's career, whereas the five level 1 creatures each get a chance to land one open-ended attack or high critical. In short, the swinginess of RM combat rolls means that it is almost always better (statistically speaking) to have five +30 attacks than a single +80 attack. So the number of combatants must also be taken into account. Also, if there is only one monster and 5 PCs, the PCs can work to make sure one or two of them are in the monster's face and parrying while the rest attack, greatly reducing the chance of a solo monster winning. So if I am using a solo monster, I can make it a level equal to the total level of the party.

If I am using multiple creatures, I rarely put a number of them equal to the total party's level. A group of 5 level 1 orcs is going to be a real challenge for a group of 5 level 1 PCs, especially if those orcs have OBs similar to those of the PCs, so most battles will have a bit less than that-- say 3 or 4 level 1 orcs.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I default to make the encounter higher than the characters and let them determine how to overcome the obstacle. I even have them highly out leveled to see if they go blindly into certain death or become captive, avoid the encounter or talk their way out of it.

Just have to be creative.

Offline Moostik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Rolemaster GM since 1993.
superior tactics>superior strength. I've had my players run back to town for reinforcements, I've had them overcome their objectives through sheer force but barely crawling back home alive, I've had them flee in terror, I've even had TPK's. All for the evolvement of the group's ability to use surveillance, to plan well ahead, use extensive tactics, be creative, etc. I'm proud of my current, very creative group of players, their efforts always combine caution with proper intelligence and planning.

I say keep'em on their toes! The game should be ruthless, its mysteries scary and mysterious, it's critters unpredictable and dangerous, the lands hazardous and unknown. And that way it will never become boring.

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
I agree with those above that say the challenges should be story driven and not set against the parties levels.

When I am GMing if an adventure is being written especially for the party then I use two measures. I generally take the number of powerpoints available to the players and try and put the party under 'stress' for one round for every ten powerpoints (or equivelant). I also look at how many criticals the party put out typically each round.

It typically takes three 'E' crits to take down any one creature so knowing how your party fights and how many criticals they can put out can tell you they will handle any one encounter. Not every fight has to be to the death so a mix of encounters can keep the party under stress/duress so they have to use the resources they have and not be able to regain their powerpoints, re-equip arrows or repair armour etc.

As a player our party uses a lot of adrenal move speed,  two weapon combo with thrown weapons and one of us has haste. We are in the 15th-20th level range and on the first round of a combat, if we are the aggressors, we can put out 15 'E' criticals. That is probably 5 baddies down in round one regardless of their level. To challenge us fights have to last longer so that we are using up our resources, running out of thrown weapons, using up daily use items and spell adders. We could realistically take ourselves out in 10 seconds flat if we met ourselves in a dark alley.

So I would look at the 'burn rate' of your players and use that to challenge them.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Turbs

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Superior tactic > superior strength.

while true..try to keep the enemy within a rough few levels of the party..
no amount of tactics is going to let a 1st level rogue kill a dragon..

an open ended roll on the otherhand.......
The universe is hostile. So impersonal. Devour to survive; So it is; So it's always been.  ~Tool; Vicarious~

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
A couple of points,
 1) Never Assume the party is at full strength, unlike some games where it is easy to heal completely before encounters. And if the party is suffering from multiple wound penalties it can degrade the party's strength very quickly.
 2) Levels are not a perfect fit to determine party strength, there are quite a few other things that can go into the mix.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
I try not to take the party into consideration that much. If my bad guy chooses to hire seven samurai to defend him then that is how many there will be and how the party then deals with that is down to their ingenuity or not.

I would not send a dragon against the party as part of the plot but if the party go after the dragon that is their folly.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I try not to take the party into consideration that much. If my bad guy chooses to hire seven samurai to defend him then that is how many there will be and how the party then deals with that is down to their ingenuity or not.

I would not send a dragon against the party as part of the plot but if the party go after the dragon that is their folly.

I agree. Though if the party has only four members I would make sure those Samurai are pretty low level.

Overall, I guage the difficulty of encounters more by my Big Bad Evil Guys' combat stats-- OB, Hits, AT(DB)-- and the number of enemies. Level to me is significant (especially against spellcasters), but not as significant as OB, DB, and hits. If your players are level 3, it would be rather cruel to put them up against multiple enemies with an OB of 120. A few orcs with 50 hps, 50 OB and AT 2 (RMU) or AT 5 (RM2) is more what I'd be looking at.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
I wouldn't even adjust the levels. I would probably make the party aware of the reputation of the samauri. If they have killed 'hundreds' of adventurers already or they are famed for being fearsome warriors then that should tell the party that they may be out classed.

There is just as much fun to be had in a running battle lasting days and geurilla tactics and 'set plays' as there is standing toe to toe and bashing it out. Any party worth it its salt should be able to turn the tables on a foe far higher than themselves.