Author Topic: Anti-Morgoth gear  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Anti-Morgoth gear
« on: March 08, 2020, 12:19:59 PM »
You're in Middle Earth and looking to fight spawn of Morgoth. What sort of magical weapons, armor, etc. do you want?
No pre-written adventure survives contact with the GM.

Offline Ruffie

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Anti-Morgoth gear
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 09:27:43 AM »
All of it...…

But seriously, in orde of importance:
1. Anything which raises my resistance against magical attacks of any sort
2. Anything which raises my DB / AT without encumbering
3. Anything which gives me haste
4. Anything which raises my OB and enables me to damage these beings.

When I play I'm a dwarven fighter.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 11:05:47 AM »
Any weapon that is "... of slaying"
Any PP+ is great, PPx is even better
Stored spells in Rune Rocks or Scrolls... anything to save PP and doesn't require rounds of prep
Stored Healing spells in a wearable item (ring, helm, brooch) or a hearty supply of herbs
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 11:17:33 AM »
Is there anything specific? I'm especially interested in any unique items from Middle Earth. Like how Frodo had Sting, Aragorn ad Anduril, etc..

I'm not terribly concerned with power level, either. The basis for the campaign is that Morgoth is on the verge of escaping the void. Sauron doesn't want that to happen and is, in his usually nefarious way, working to prevent it. Part of that is hunting down troves of powerful magic his minions can use. The party, of course, stumbles into the mix. The way Sauron works (infiltration and assault) doesn't lend itself to them figuring out he's actually the good(ish) guy this time around. So, of course, they go about trying to stop his plans. Part of that includes getting to the troves before his minions can.

Eventually they'll end up going against Morgoth's spawn and minions themselves, either with or without Sauron's help.

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 04:14:41 PM »
Dragons and war trolls. Maybe a Balrog

A scroll to escape to a different universe.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 07:46:00 AM »
Is there anything specific? I'm especially interested in any unique items from Middle Earth. Like how Frodo had Sting, Aragorn ad Anduril, etc..

I'm not terribly concerned with power level, either. The basis for the campaign is that Morgoth is on the verge of escaping the void. Sauron doesn't want that to happen and is, in his usually nefarious way, working to prevent it. Part of that is hunting down troves of powerful magic his minions can use. The party, of course, stumbles into the mix. The way Sauron works (infiltration and assault) doesn't lend itself to them figuring out he's actually the good(ish) guy this time around. So, of course, they go about trying to stop his plans. Part of that includes getting to the troves before his minions can.

Eventually they'll end up going against Morgoth's spawn and minions themselves, either with or without Sauron's help.

Well, it is strongly implied in Tolkien's writings that you simply can't (and my nickname should be an example  ;D)...
But anyway, since in "History of Middle Earth", specifically in "Morgoth's ring", there is trace of a second profecy from Mandos about the end of the world (Dagor Dagorath) where Morgoth is confronted by Tulkas, Eönwë and Tùrin Turambar reborn, and ultimately slained by Tùrin's black sword Gurthang, I would search for that sword if I had to fight him.

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 08:04:08 AM »
Note: they'll be facing Morgoth's spawn: demons, maybe a dragon, powerful cultist sorcerers and the like.

Not Morgoth himself. If things go horribly awry and Morgoth is in the verge of escaping then the prophecy of Dagor Dagoroth kicks in and all sorts of doodoo hits the fan.

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 10:19:25 AM »
A potion of Dance of Lúthien.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2020, 10:30:37 AM »

Or as one of my players recently put it (and this is a direct quote):

"I hate to say it, but we could actually use a Bard right now."
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 11:49:36 AM »

What's that?

Offline foilfodder

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2020, 11:22:52 PM »
Add a few bottles with light from the Star of Eärendil.

As far as more accessable items lots of baddies (except dragons and balrogs) hate fire.
- torches
- burning arrows
- burning oil/pitch

And healing herbs...there is never enough healing!

Offline Ruffie

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2020, 08:12:13 AM »
As a dwarf I would love the united hammer of the Dwarves. There is a sourcebook: "Treasures of Middle Earth." Which contains the most powerful items in ME. The dragon helm which Hurin and his son had would also be extremely welcome.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2020, 08:38:20 AM »
The dragon helm which Hurin and his son had would also be extremely welcome.

It is pretty nice indeed. That's why I put it in my icon  :)
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline JakeM.

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Formerly an Angelic elven warrior, now a dad.
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2020, 01:36:47 PM »
+30 Blue Laen Holy two handed great sword with additional crush and cold criticals.

Location: Don't know. But if your DM liked his GoT then somewhere up north might be good idea?

We had this kind of items when we played. But then again our DM was about entertainment ( And power metal ) rather than realism.
Dibs on that broadsword!