Author Topic: Stun Removal at -50?  (Read 1631 times)

Offline eskla

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Stun Removal at -50?
« on: October 27, 2018, 10:43:05 PM »
Is the penalty for being stunned (-50 or -75, mitigated by 3xSD) intended to be applied to Stun Removal maneuvers?  I'm playing using the FRP ruleset.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Stun Removal at -50?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 12:03:06 AM »
Given that the Stun Removal skill explicitly lists modifiers for the number of stun rounds already, I would assume you are not supposed to also apply the maneuver penalty for being stunned. Also, the -50/-75 penalty for being stunned only applies to "movement and maneuvering", which I take as meaning actually moving around, not all "maneuvers" in the RM sense of skill checks. Most actions don't have a penalty because they are simply impossible while stunned; stun removal skill is of course an exception to that.

System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 09:46:55 AM »
Confirmed that this was how we played it.
Stun Removal had no malus/mods against it due to stun effects.

Offline Micael

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2024, 06:33:55 PM »
I would assume, that you need stunned maneuvring to decrease the -50 bonus to 0- otherwise it's to easy in my opinion to ignore stunning. In FRPG it's easy to get +50 in low levels especially with talent boni. Then a medium level char is effectively immune to stunning with this skill alone...the malus from stun removal is for more the one round of stun and is much less then -50. If you ignore the -50 you in fact make stun manoeuvring skill obsolete.

Offline katastrophe

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2024, 10:34:07 AM »
Given that the Stun Removal skill explicitly lists modifiers for the number of stun rounds already, I would assume you are not supposed to also apply the maneuver penalty for being stunned. Also, the -50/-75 penalty for being stunned only applies to "movement and maneuvering", which I take as meaning actually moving around, not all "maneuvers" in the RM sense of skill checks. Most actions don't have a penalty because they are simply impossible while stunned; stun removal skill is of course an exception to that.

We have always applied the negative from being stunned to all maneuvers, including skill rolls, such as casting spells. We have never only limited it to movement.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2024, 04:03:20 PM »
I think the -50/-75 to movement was added because originally (RM2), movement was the only action (other than parrying at half OB) allowed when stunned. All other actions were forbidden.

It might also be helpful to note that the original description of the Stunned Maneuvering skill in RM Companion 2 specified a -10 penalty to the skill roll per cumulative round of stun. Companion 2 also (confusingly) had its own Static Action table which noted both the -10/round penalty and gave additional difficulty penalties for number of rounds of stun accrued. E.g. 2 rounds of stun made the base Static Action manuever a Hard (-10) check. I say this his confusing because these difficulty levels don't line up with the simple -10/round that is mentioned both in the verbal description of the skill and in this very chart I am referencing on p. 92 of Companion 2.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2024, 04:20:13 PM »
I think the -50/-75 to movement was added because originally (RM2), movement was the only action (other than parrying at half OB) allowed when stunned. All other actions were forbidden.

It might also be helpful to note that the original description of the Stunned Maneuvering skill in RM Companion 2 specified a -10 penalty to the skill roll per cumulative round of stun. Companion 2 also (confusingly) had its own Static Action table which noted both the -10/round penalty and gave additional difficulty penalties for number of rounds of stun accrued. E.g. 2 rounds of stun made the base Static Action manuever a Hard (-10) check. I say this his confusing because these difficulty levels don't line up with the simple -10/round that is mentioned both in the verbal description of the skill and in this very chart I am referencing on p. 92 of Companion 2.

Let me check that, I happen to have a copy of RM Companion II.

Well, Hurin is right.  At least for the original description of the skill.