Author Topic: Kier Ianis' Fate  (Read 5893 times)

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
Kier Ianis' Fate
« on: September 15, 2007, 04:23:34 PM »
Hi,
I recently discovered that when we played that campaign, which was years ago and several characters in the past, we somehow managed to flood the Forge or Arion.
As I am the GM now I was wondering what the effect of this would be. The water alone probably wouldn't destroy the crown room, right? And if we destroyed it, my memory is a bit hazy on that matter, what would the effect be? Would Kier have died in his battle against Lorgalis because the crown would have lost its special REALM powers?

Would be nice to hear some ideas and maybe an official comment from you, Terry.
Thanks in advance.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
Re: Kier Ianis' Fate
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 01:02:22 AM »
IIRC, the crowns keep several powers even if the Forge is destroyed.
The power to 'feel the realm and it's borders' ( and anything associated to it ) is lost, but all the other powers are left.

In the campaigns I played ( as a player and as a DM ) even if the forge was not destroyed, it was disabled, so the power of the crown failed too.
In one case Kier was defeated in a battle, but managed to escape and started to do some skirmishing maneuvers around Helissa, in another case, he won and drove Lorgali's forces back into Xa'ar, but he still had to wrestle internally with the remnants of the Yarthraak priests and a few people that would have prefered to be under Lorgalis rule.
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline Roland

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • SW addict
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 12:58:08 PM »
As Guillaume said, disabling the forge woulnd't destroy all the powers of the crown but only the main power : control the very land inside the border of the kingdom.

In the Sea drake campaign i ran, Kier Ianis defeated Lorgalis and his army, then the players disabled the vault powers and saved Kier from Madness. He lost his ultimate power over the land but retained the "basic" powers of the crow and became Helyssa King.

IMHO, even if the whole vault is destroyed the crown still keep it's magical powers, like any artefact :)
Durandal

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 04:35:01 PM »
OT, but the Emperor of Rhakhaan prefers that Kier be referred to as the Duke of Cynar.  (Otherwise, he'd have to give back some of the territory he took)

:hm:
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 04:35:51 AM »
(Otherwise, he'd have to give back some of the territory he took)

Actually no, because the boundaries were modified by somebody that has access to the Vault of Arion. Kier is not going to attack Rhakhaan to get back the lost territories... they are Rhakhaan now, and the only way for Kier to have the idea of trying to get back is for him to drop the Sea Drake crown.
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline fac

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Shadow World's aficionado
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 12:34:49 PM »
OT, but the Emperor of Rhakhaan prefers that Kier be referred to as the Duke of Cynar.  (Otherwise, he'd have to give back some of the territory he took)

Emperor Faslurin prefers to call him king of Helyssa for the reasons you gave, but probably Kier has his hands full trying to strength the western border while he plays diplomacy in the northeast with the Warlord of Saralis.

So I don't think he wants to recover the so-called "western marches" by Rhakhaan.

In my game, I thought that Kier could want to have a seaport in the south like Norek without fighting against Rhakhaan, so I wrote an adventure (still not finished) where the players have to go to a former duchy of U-Lyshak and ask them to join again. This duchy is now full of dark pirate elves, but the Duke could reconsider his position if Rhakhaan decides to get rid of these nasty pirates.

You must feel the thought and think the feeling

Offline metallion

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Winterdream Online
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 06:45:36 PM »
If Jerrin ever, ever, referred to King Kier as Duke of anything, the consequences would be disasterous.  Such an utterance would constitute nothing less than an outright denial of the legitimacy of Kier's rule.  Wars are fought over less provocation.  What's worse, Jerrin would be the one who looked like a fool in the exchange -- Kier is Crowned.  To undermine that undermines the legitimacy of his own rule.

If such an insult got back to the Helyssan ambassador, he would have little choice but to immediately depart in protest.  And you could forget any prospect of Kier marrying Tatiana.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 04:01:34 PM »
I can't see how being able to "feel" a large portion of a large aggressive neibours realm would be a problem.  In fact, it may prove to be a huge advantage depending on what "feeling" is.  Kier would be able to ignore the border completely except for policing, because he would know of any threat, and have time to react to it.  A huge boon.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline Moloch

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Tocardo Connardo Inside
    • Aventures en Tanara
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 02:33:05 PM »
In my Campaign, Kier is a Player Character...
Who knows what he will achieve...

(But I try as possible to play "canon" with the settings and the Great Campaign/Tanara/Jaiman timeline.)
I am the one you warned me of.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 07:32:24 AM »
We've used Kier as PC/NPC a lot, where guest players will use him for a session or something.  It's actually quite fun to see different people get into the role.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 10:49:21 AM »
I happened to run in this pretty old thread nevertheless their are some implications of interest at least for me as GM.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 05:53:16 AM »
I happened to run in this pretty old thread nevertheless their are some implications of interest at least for me as GM.

(click to show/hide)

In the novel Loremaster Legacy, there is an extended scene where Tethior encounters Andraax in the Forge of Arion, and the Essænce Lord is tinkering with the Crown programming.
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 08:49:04 AM »
So help me out, at which time is this supposed to happen?