Author Topic: Adapting EoH for RM2/RMC  (Read 10412 times)

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
Re: Adapting EoH for RM2/RMC
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2007, 09:09:20 PM »
The Church has banned all witchcraft.  Other churches have other rules.  Players can certainly play them but making them state condonned is iffy.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2007, 09:38:04 PM »
And we all have more reading to do.  I, for instance, realized this morning that I never declared geography, city names, resources and other general national structure as World Threads.  Someone pointed it out in a review about Ludremon, which I intended, but I never did it on the other nations either, which I didn't.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2007, 02:53:35 PM »
The Church has banned all witchcraft.  Other churches have other rules.  Players can certainly play them but making them state condonned is iffy.

Druids would also make good Atavists.
Another thing to take into account is if the initial teaser is played as in Heaven there was no Church so more classes would have been available, or at least more accepted.  Necromancy however I think would still be 'frowned upon' to say the least.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2007, 11:31:03 PM »
Yes, I agree with everything Mocking Bird said.  :)

Offline Grafton

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2007, 08:07:11 PM »
Yes, I will be using the teaser as a way to justify the spell using characters without having them being hunted down initially. It should make for some interesting roleplaying for this to happen, going outside the adventure for a bit.

They will receive a general pardon by the Church cardinal due to their history, but with the promise that the magic is not overtly used when not necessary. Of course, there will probably be some witch hunters along the way in the campaign that never got the memo...

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2007, 08:33:13 AM »
They will receive a general pardon by the Church cardinal due to their history, but with the promise that the magic is not overtly used when not necessary. Of course, there will probably be some witch hunters along the way in the campaign that never got the memo...

[Cough]Society of Sinnius[Cough]...[Cough]Knife in the Dark[Cough]...
Better get a cup of coffee.  My throat is parched from posting.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline GerikGnome

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2007, 10:11:20 AM »
Without giving spoilers, I'd recommend not giving a general pardon.

The character I'm playing is a banned spell user.  He's covered his spell book to look like scriptures and has a bunch of ranks in spell trickery.  When he has to cast in front of anyone who's neither party nor going to be dead soon, he does so with an eye toward looking like he's using church (non-banned) magic.  Works well with lay folk. 

People who can tell the difference (after a successful spell trickery and judicious spell choice) are far between.  Those who can tell the difference (Knights Lonnuso, Society of Sinnius, etc.) tend to be easily identifiable as such (and can easy get on the "dead soon" list).

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2007, 01:07:49 AM »
Yes, I've always made sure Gleann doesn't ask any questions he might not want to know the answers to.

Offline Grafton

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2007, 05:22:11 PM »
I am assuming that the ban on non-channeling magic does not apply to items. Is this correct?

Or maybe the Church is also trying to destroy items that produce these types of spells as well?

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2007, 07:17:42 PM »
It depends.  Things like magic swords could have been made by the church.  Things like a magician's staff that spits fireballs would probably be witchcraft.  Anything made by the Wizard King is grandfathered in as he made a lot of magical treasures held by the Church (such as the elemental weapons that show up in the Moving Shadow).

Offline Grafton

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2007, 10:31:37 PM »
Thanks, so its kind of pick and choose. I admit I haven't read enough of the adventures to know if you have magic items in them or not that the PCs can acquire. I'm guessing at some point it will come up during the game, and it already did during character creation.

Offline Grafton

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2007, 09:16:41 PM »
What is the outlook for herb use in the EoH/Moving Shadows campaign?

I am inclined to say that herbs/poisons listed in RM2 are good to use and available based on availabily. I don't see anything in the written material against them, after all they were made by God. :)

It may become an issue if a PC takes healer, thus Lifegiving can be a problem.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2007, 09:29:05 PM »
Herbs are fine.  I think 3 and 4 both have herbs as treasure in the RM versions.

Offline Grafton

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2007, 09:45:08 PM »
Thanks for the advice Defendi. I may not always adhere to what you say, but your input is valuable.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2007, 04:24:17 AM »
Heh.  :)