Author Topic: Adapting EoH for RM2/RMC  (Read 10420 times)

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Adapting EoH for RM2/RMC
« on: February 26, 2007, 07:41:03 PM »
There's a thread open on RPGRM on it, a GM looking into using EoH but trying to get a handle on what in EoH would require conversion. (And how much work that would entail.)

Any help?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 12:15:29 PM by LordMiller »
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Adapting EoH for RM2/RMC
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 12:58:57 AM »
I tried to post but I got a error message that the topic was offlimits to me or was closed.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 05:59:01 AM »
Me too.  I tried to find the thread manually, but couldn't.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 06:20:16 AM »
Let me know where this thread is, and how to find the message if it's on one of the 10+page threads.  :)

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 12:15:11 PM »
just saw it's a locked thread. . .it's in a hidden area. Sorry about that.

I'll go in there and re-post the questions out here.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 02:38:02 PM »
  I think thier is an article out thier on coverting RMSS to RM2 and the areas to look out for but I do not have it. Is it on the RM-C board?

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 06:27:17 PM »
Don't send them  to that.  They'll think it's difficult!  :)

No, the only thing that really changed were professions.  Even the skill rank system is more or less the same (at least if you develop cat and skill together you get the same rank bonuses).  So the only thing they really have to do is maybe play with level bonus skills a touch, make sure the PP look right for the rules options they use in RM2, ignore Corey's additional spell lists from Channeling Comp and use the common professions in the religious section as a guidleline for what professions to use in their own characters (which it's all that it's meant to do anyway.)

Lord Miller, feel free to quote that and post it over there so the guy can find it.

Offline Grafton

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 06:28:20 PM »
Hi all, I'm the one that posted the original question. Yes, I believe there is a conversion article and I think I have it. The question I had was more relating to rules differences between the different systems more than creating characters. I was thinking of allowing SS/FRP characters to increase potential players, but am concerned about people getting upset at what my rules are for RM2 versus those for SS/FRP.

Edit: Secondarily, I guess if Defendi could clue me in on anything within EoH that is specifically FRP-related with regard to rules and such, that would be useful.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 11:50:22 PM »
  I do not now but I think RM-C people would be fine.

The areas I think that can cause a problem are:
  1) Stat bonus, stat gain,
  2) RMSS get high bonus at 1st level and balnce out at 10th then RM2 quickly out powers RMSS.
  3) RMSS spell users get 1 spell for a price and do not get rank 1-5.
  4) how skill bonus's are devised
  5) the number of skills
  6) # of DP's

I can say in a game of 3rd to 7th level I can see characters of RMSS and RM2 being playable but it really depends on what house and RoCo rules you use.

OTOH, I would have very little problem saying that Echos can be used with RM2 with minor adjustments that a good GM would have no trouble figureing out.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 11:54:23 PM »
Grafton,
  One side note I forgot to mention was that the setting IMO is very generic from a system point of view. You should ask Robert but I would say that maybe 98% of the material is the same no matter what setting you use as it relates to game setting fiction and not rule setting material.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 12:17:00 AM »
Yes, I tried to keep it rules sparse.  I don't like stepping on other people's house rules, and all the games I'm designing for have a wealth of rule books.

Grafton, off hand the only things I can think of that have any RMFRP specificity are:

NPC write ups.  There are 1-5 per adventure.  As I said, I think you can more or less use them as is.  Just ignore skills you don't use and eyeball the PP and skills with level bonuses in RM2 and adjust them slightly.

In the Religion section, I list common professions for the order (I think I do that for magical groups as well, but they aren't very set, more broad terms like "what professions do we mean when we just say necromancer").    Most of these should cross over as is, at least enough that you get a feel for the order.  Since that's all it's meant to do in FRP, that doesn't really need adjustment.  You might want to ask if you run into a profession you don't recognize, like a Mythic (channeling assassin).

Also in the religion section, I list spell lists from Channeling Comp that you can take as base lists if you belong to that order.  You can 1) ignore them completely, or 2) get Channeling Comp if you can find it.  Since spell lists only changed in details, not concept, you could easily use them in RM2.

I might look into RMC character sheets and see about doing quick write-up of the NPCs for downloads.  I wonder if Jonathan Dale has done one yet.

The big problem with RM2 versions is the optional rules you use are likely to make it so you need just as much conversion as an RMFRP character.  :)

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 12:22:23 AM »
I should add there's some new stuff in Product 3.  The Dwarven Runecasting rules work of RMFRP SCSM manuevers.  Basically, you'd need to convert the bonus differences to any under or overcasting rules you use.  If you don't use them, the rules should work as is (you can just ignore high end stuff, like making runes with materials that give bonuses.)  Other than that, there is one profession and 2 TPs in that book.  You'd probably just ignore those.  The profession would need converting, but you could just ignore it an use cleric for the profession costs of rune priests, basically swapping out spell lists (I think they are all in RM2 as well).

Offline Grafton

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 01:36:52 AM »

I should add there's some new stuff in Product 3.  The Dwarven Runecasting rules work of RMFRP SCSM manuevers.  Basically, you'd need to convert the bonus differences to any under or overcasting rules you use.  If you don't use them, the rules should work as is (you can just ignore high end stuff, like making runes with materials that give bonuses.) 

This is an example of what I was concerned about - SCSM manuevers. The difficulty has somewhat to do with the play-by-post format where things move slowly, thus not very conducive to long rules disagreements. I haven't decided if I'm going to advertise for it yet. I would like to do it because I love the material, just not sure if I want to put in the effort of GMing 2 games instead of 1.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 02:11:57 AM »
Well, as I said if you don't do overcasting and the like, it's not an issue.  The only thing the SCSM actually does it make it slightly easier to try to cast fast, so it you wanted, you could give a on level break on one of the prep round tiers (changing the last from 6 levels below to 5 levels below for instance) or just not allow the character to cast without the proper prep.  Do you allow that normally in PBP?

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 02:12:37 AM »
One advantage of PBP is that you probably won't catch up with my production schedule.  :)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2007, 04:00:02 PM »
  The other thing is maybe ignore the SCSM and do it like RM2.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2007, 05:18:11 PM »
Ah, yes.  I hadn't thought of that.  You can just adjust the penalty by the same amount.  I don't know off hand what that is.  :)  Five or ten better, I think.

Offline Grafton

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2007, 07:37:53 PM »
I've posted the recruiting thread for RM2/RMC.

The first question that came to mind was professions. So far, I've included the following as possible PC professions (in addition to those listed in the sourcebook) that I would like opinions on if they would seriously break the game:

Dervish - semi channeling
Houri - semi mentalism
Nightblade - semi mentalism
Noble Warrior - semi mentalism
Warrior Mage - semi essence
Druid - pure channeling
Wizard - pure essence
Necromancer - hybrid channeling/essence
Witch - - hybrid channeling/essence

Not sure if dervish fits in the world. Nightblade would be spell using assassin types. Noble Warrior would be non-religious paladins under the charge of the political structure (as opposed to religious structure for paladin).

Thoughts?

One potential problem may be the addition of a number of mentalism professions, which appear to have some difficulties in this world. Off hand I think they can be used close to what was intended but would need to watch out for mind-reading type spells.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2007, 08:27:34 PM »
Do you mean balancewise or settingwise?

Setting wise, those are all banned spellcasters in Human lands.  Witches.  Not a problem with good reason, but saying the Noble Warrior is under the charge of a Human political structure is saying that structure is directly opposed to the Church.

It's been a while since I've read the Dervish, but I don't see a problem with it.  In the Mortal Realm it would come from the "Desert Kingdoms" in the south.

Offline Grafton

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2007, 09:03:15 PM »
I was referring to setting wise. You say the list above are all banned in human lands? I didn't get that drastic an impression from the material so far, only that certain professions are suspect and viewed with suspicion as well as potentially being pursued by witch-hunters.

From the comment about noble warrior, does that mean the Church is the only power in the area and country leaders are subservient to It?

Obviously, I have more reading to do.