Author Topic: Livestock & mounts on cyradon...  (Read 2706 times)

Offline ReaperWolf

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Livestock & mounts on cyradon...
« on: February 13, 2011, 12:53:37 PM »
While reading through Cyradon, specifically the info on the Stionoir which fill a number of roles ranging from food, to herdbeast, to mounts, are there horses on Cyradon?

How'bout other livestock such as goats, sheep, cattle, etc.?

I imagine the refugees from Anais brought all sorts of new beasts to Belynar. Some might also have brought with them seeds and nuts allowing them to bring a taste of "home" with them.

>>ReaperWolf

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Livestock & mounts on cyradon...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 01:02:21 PM »
While reading through Cyradon, specifically the info on the Stionoir which fill a number of roles ranging from food, to herdbeast, to mounts, are there horses on Cyradon?

How'bout other livestock such as goats, sheep, cattle, etc.?

I imagine the refugees from Anais brought all sorts of new beasts to Belynar. Some might also have brought with them seeds and nuts allowing them to bring a taste of "home" with them.

The only horses would be those brought through with the refugees, and there likely aren't a lot of them, considering that they were fleeing through the mountains before being transported to Cyradon.

There are likely sheep on Cyradon, since it is the primary source for wool. As for other livestock, that is always possible, though Stionoir also fill the role of cattle as well.

It is quite likely that the refugees lost any sort of slow-moving critters and mounts early on in their run from the city (afterall, they did have an enemy army chasing them).

Those that were brought through were also likely used up early on feeding everybody before the ritual that restored part of the devastation...

Just some things to keep in mind...

Offline ReaperWolf

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 02:37:54 PM »
One idea I developed for my own campaign setting was there were no horses. Somewhere Mother Nature tool a left instead of right and as a result the role of horses was filled by an off-shoot of antelopes but instead of having a single hoof they have a splayed hoof in effect having three toes.

I took it pretty far creating elephantine, camelid, and sure-footed big-horned sheep versions as well. Much of the livestock in the setting were hybrids of goats and antelopes. Seems like an easily transferred idea and there's something that fits imagining Orsai mounted archers wheeling and firing their bows from the backs of swift-moving gazelle-like beasts.

>>ReaperWolf

Offline ReaperWolf

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 01:50:46 PM »
Are there domesticated dogs & cats in Cyradon?

>>ReaperWolf

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 02:58:15 PM »
Are there domesticated dogs & cats in Cyradon?

That is up to you. When we wrote Cyradon, we didn't think about including them.