Author Topic: Anthropomorphic races In Shadow World  (Read 933 times)

Offline Syssiah

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Shadow World Addict
Anthropomorphic races In Shadow World
« on: January 28, 2023, 01:31:16 AM »
Hi all,

What are the anthro races walking on the surface of Kulthea ?
Is there a list somewhere ?
I heard about lizard-men (name ?) kind, Krylites' mostly npcs), centaurs and fauns.
But are there Anthro-cat humanoids, canines? Others ?
What are they called and where can I read about them please ?

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Anthropomorphic races In Shadow World
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2023, 05:26:19 AM »
Hi all,

I heard about lizard-men (name ?) kind, Krylites' mostly npcs), centaurs and fauns.

The cat-like are the Idyyva <sp>.  A player created a PC of that race a long time ago.  They have retractable claws.  The races are found through out the myriad of books.  We play RM2 and I made my own GM folder for PC creation.  I copied the pages of all the races that a player can choose from to make things more streamlined.  As for a single location with all of the races, I don't recall ever seeing one.

You can check these books for additional races:
Character Law & Campaign Law
All of the Companions
All three Creatures & Treasures.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 10:50:10 AM »
Also the Master Atlas of course.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Syssiah

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Shadow World Addict
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2023, 12:41:45 AM »
thank you :)

Offline cdcooley

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2023, 02:02:48 AM »
Rolemaster is meant to be setting neutral and while a GM can choose any race from any of those the game books, the official races of the Shadow World are in the Master Atlas.

Kulthea has a number of unusual races, but not really any anthropomorphic types. Yes, you have the basic Fauns, Centaurs, and Mermen/Mermaids that are half-man, half-animal. There are also Krylites (insects) and Saurkur (lizards) but they really aren't very human-like in their natures. Basically, all of those live in one home region or in small isolated communities, and don't mingle with others. In fact, like the Nomari (dwarves), they mainly seem to be a holdover from the early days of development when it was just the World of Loremaster or they've crept into the setting through the modules published while Terry wasn't in charge.

The Shadow World is a very human (and to some extent elf) focused world with diversity coming from the genetic experiments by the Lords of Essence leading to human groups with extra eyelids, claws, wings, green skin, and various other exotic features.

Offline foilfodder

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2023, 10:59:21 AM »
Hi all,

As mentioned, Kulthea is a very "human" world. Shadow World Master Atlas races you might be interested in:
  Gark - furry ape-men
  Hirazi - humans with feathered wings
  Mermen - fish tail for lower torso, some can shapeshift into legs

If building your own campaign you could always create a small enclave or settlement, perhaps a small group lost/transplanted/created on Kulthea by Lords of Essaence, Orhan or Charon deities.

Offline Syssiah

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Shadow World Addict
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2023, 02:28:37 PM »
Thanks alot for all your answers.
 I just discovered a race of dragon like individual, in the Star Crown Empire and the Sea of Fates book. The Ruechei : is there more information about them somewhere please ?

Offline cdcooley

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2023, 11:37:31 PM »
That's one of the modules which introduced unique races that were later classified as non-canon, so the only information that exists on them is what you find in that book. And basically they are just another variant of dragon unique to that particular location.

Offline Syssiah

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Shadow World Addict
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2023, 02:33:52 AM »
Thanks again :)

They seems perfect since they are not described to be used as "Argonian-like" PCs.

Offline kmanktelow

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2023, 03:25:04 AM »
Most races in Shadow World are of humanoid stock - from Space Master (1st/2nd editions) it's almost certain that some race transplanted Humanity on several worlds within a distance of Earth. They also genetically modified the Altha and probably imported races for different purposes: giving rise to Elves, Lugrôki, etc. Due to the presence of half-races I would tend to think they all come from the same genetic stock which allows interbreeding. Other non-human races are imports.

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2023, 04:24:50 AM »
Most races in Shadow World are of humanoid stock - from Space Master (1st/2nd editions) it's almost certain that some race transplanted Humanity on several worlds within a distance of Earth. They also genetically modified the Altha and probably imported races for different purposes: giving rise to Elves, Lugrôki, etc. Due to the presence of half-races I would tend to think they all come from the same genetic stock which allows interbreeding. Other non-human races are imports.
They can be the result of genetic engineering as well - you don't need many alterations to make races genetically incompatible. And we know that the K'Taa'Viiri were master geneticists and experimented with bizarre combinations, using local stock as well as stock from other dimensions. It wouldn't be far-fetched to have centaurs, for instance, being the result of K'Taa'Viiri gene-splicing.

It's a fairly classic story of would-be gods making slaves in their own image (more or less). The only question is which races are a direct result of K'Taa'Viir gene-splicing, and which are by-products. We know that elves have been created by the K'Taa'Viiri for specific purposes. The big question is whether human races have been created for a specific purpose as well, or they are by-products.

It is also interesting to note that some of the extrasolar visitors (namely, the Taranians, the ancestors of the Aldari of Emer) are completely human-looking and genetically compatible with them, suggesting a common origin as well.

And when you see what Ulya Shek and Jenkyna are doing, there's no real limit of what is actually possible with K'Taa'Viiri technomancy.

But while you can have any bizarre specimen as the result of an experiment, having a whole race requires more - it requires a purpose. No one makes tens of thousands of people and make them capable to breed truly just because - it is a waste of resources that could be used to create a race that fits a purpose. Which means that all created races that became widespread must have had a purposqe, even if that purpose is lost not. And races that do not have a purpose either exist on a very small scale or are by-products or transplanted races.

And that kind of world plot (as a race, you were created by the Lords of Essaence to be useful slaves. But why were you created ?) can be the focus of a very long campaign with major repercussions.

It also justifies the basic Shadow World premise: races were not created equal, and some races are intrinsically "better" than others, especially better in a particular field. Just like the transhuman types in the SM Imperium, some (especially the Kashmere variants) are better than others, and much better than the baseline human. And I wouldn't  balance that - if Laan are better than Shay, there is no reason to try and rebalance them in game terms - Laan are better than Shay because they were created to be better at many purposes. Genetic Engineering and Eugenism have ugly consequences and side effects, but they *do* exist in Shadow World and I find it much more interesting to deal with the consequences and make them a campaign feature than try to erase them and transform Shadow World into a generic, 'everyone is equal', kind of world.

You just have to run a campaign with only Shay characters sometimes, just to give your players a taste of what it means to be of a 'lesser' race :D

Offline Syssiah

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Shadow World Addict
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2023, 07:29:47 AM »
Interesting development !

So Ruechei could be draconic experiments, maybe for purposes of just experimentating and get look-alike servant for dragons, interbred with humanoids.
I'll keep the idea in my mind, while I introduce that new PC :)
Our new player found a nice picture of an Argonian so.

We are using a set of rule derivated from the Torg Eternity System and cards, developped by a friend. It's an enormous amateur project, but it allows me to create easily and without needing to look at infinite listing of things for levelling or spells.