Author Topic: Thinking about reworking the Magician base lists. Reactions?  (Read 5690 times)

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Thinking about reworking the Magician base lists. Reactions?
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 08:18:29 AM »
.... and put all the damage spells on one list. No one else see's a problem with this?

Sudden Light, Cold Ball, Fire Ball, Water Bolt.....None of those are on the new Wind Law.  I'm not trolling, I'm just saying I didn't put ALL the damage spells on one list.  The magician base lists as a whole make him kind of support artillery anyway.
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 10:07:23 AM »
I'm not trolling, I'm just saying

It is your bridge, brother dutch206.  ;D

The magician base lists as a whole make him kind of support artillery anyway.
It would be nice to see more versartillery choice in Base Lists.

(Do you allow Spell List Specialization?)
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 12:41:46 PM »
Vas is das "Spell Specialization" of which you speak? ???

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 03:47:38 PM »
Es ist eine,
If you believe this is totally unrelated, we can ask the powers that be to move this to another forum.
I thought it related to the subject of Magician versatility and changing Base Lists.

Maybe I read it in EssCo..(?), there is a good chance I misunderstood it too.
Although SOHK states that you can't Specialize in Spell Lists, let's say "you can".

Now if you Spec in one of your Base Lists, then for the DP spent for 1 Rank, you develop 2.
 Pure Casters   3/3/3 = 1Rank/1Rank/1Rank
Spec Base List 3/3/3 = 2Ranks/2Ranks/2Ranks 

So 6 Ranks in one Base List/level is darn powerful! The caveat is that ALL other Base Lists are now Restricted (!)

If you Specialize in one Own Realm Open List, then all other Own Realm Open Lists are Restricted. The same applies if you Spec in one Own Realm Closed (my favorite so far). IIRC, you can't Spec in a Other Realm or Other Profession List.
You have to make sure that you track the DP's more closely; if you jump from one cost 4/4/4 to 6/6/6 or 8/8/8, for example.

This will create the potential for extremely powerful casters in one List, while greatly retarding advancement in others. Having ~18 Ranks in Fire Law at 3rd Level is pretty cool, but you could only have a handful of Ranks in all other Base Lists, at best.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 03:53:34 PM »
providence 13;
 IIRC I think that is in the SoHK with the other skill specializations info. But I could be wrong.
MDC

Modify:
 Also another thing Rasyr often says is why not just cut the DP cost in half instead of giving 2 ranks and double the cost for restricted ranks. That can make things easier if you do not want to track EOR skills.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2010, 04:13:05 PM »
There's an issue of the ranks/level limit also. if you may purchase 3, and 3 count as 6, then you get 6, while if it's just 3 at half price, you only have 3, just at half price. That's only true if playing with a ranks/level limitation in place, but it is a significant difference in that the E not only gets you the ranks at effectively half cost, it allows you to purchase twice as many at a time.

This is mixing up RMC/RMFRP rules like mad though, so it's already well off the RAW.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2010, 04:39:04 AM »
All the damage spells on one list would be like Elemental Ways for the Warrior Mage in Comp2. The limitation of that list is the range (5`/lvl) as well as the spells are a few steps higher than normal.

As for me I think it is a great idea to have more spell lists as it does provided versatility and is in general more fun ^^
Now Lava/magma Law is something I always wanted to see though I cant remember if one of the old companions had the combination already (Mana conduits from comp5 maybe?)

Keep it up Dutch :D
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2010, 10:00:24 AM »
It almost brings to mind the old Para-elements from "The world's most popular RPG".  (mud/ooze, lava, etc.....)

I really don't want to see any more elements added to RMC, however.  'Elemental Companion' and 'Fire & Ice' make my head hurt.

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2010, 12:15:37 PM »
In one of the old supplements there was a list Pirates Ways I think which had Steam Bolts which could be lookd upon as a combination of a water bolt and a fire bolt. So a lava bolt would be a fire bolt plus an earth bolt combined presumably doing impact crticials as a primary and heat as a secondary critical type.
And when one dreams dark dreams dark days shall follow

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2010, 11:56:57 AM »
On a lava bolt; Impact/heat crits, with unbalance as a secondary crit.  Heats crits last one rnd per severity of initial crit, reducing one each rnd. i.e. C crit 63 becomes B crit 63 next rnd, then A crit 63 next rnd, then fizzles.

Lava hurts.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2010, 12:31:03 PM »
Oh yes don't forget to check for combustion of items given the average temperature of lava, it is molten rock afterall. Metal may lose temper as well, depends how "evil" you want to be as GM.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2010, 01:20:29 PM »
That would then make the combination of Earth/Water a Mud bolt...

It gives new meaning to the term - "Mudslinging"...  ;)
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2010, 12:25:24 AM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthpicturegalleries/7606679/Iceland-volcano-the-latest-spectacular-pictures-of-the-volcanic-eruption.html

awesome Lightning and Lava/Ash pictures..

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2010, 01:14:48 AM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthpicturegalleries/7606679/Iceland-volcano-the-latest-spectacular-pictures-of-the-volcanic-eruption.html

awesome Lightning and Lava/Ash pictures..

I saw some on CNN that were unbelievable. I am going to look at your pic's right now, but if they are anything like the CNN photos they are out of this world.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2010, 01:41:41 AM »
High Level Spells (Make sure you have a good range for these)

Ignite Active Volcano: An already active volcano can be caused to erupt. The type of eruption depends on the class of Volcano, Vesuvian, Shield etc.

Wake Dormant Volcano: A dormant Volcano can be brought up to the active stage and will then either erupt naturally or can be the subject of the Ignite Active Volcano Spell.

Wake Extinct Volcano: Will cause an extinct volcano to reconnect with the nearest magma souce.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2010, 11:47:32 AM »
Mud bolt I; Medium bash with Impact/unbalance crits.

Mud Bolt II; Large Bash with Impact/Unbalance crits.

Mud Bolt III; Huge Bash with Impact/unbalance crits.

In Space Master, Robotics Manual, there is an EXCELLENT table for a glue gun and the rules for breaking free from its sticky attacks.  This could make an excellent Earth/Air para elemental attack.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2010, 12:56:16 PM »
Imho lava stuff could probably fit on the earth law if reworked.
Earthquakes, volcanoes... it's all the same. ;)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2010, 04:34:10 PM »
The problem with the volcanoes is the range of the spell and if you can survive long enough to cast it and after casting it.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2010, 11:55:03 PM »
The problem with the volcanoes is the range of the spell and if you can survive long enough to cast it and after casting it.
MDC

The problem with volcanoes is where they fit in the story. If players can cause the enemy city to disappear in a vulcano then you have given them the equivalent of deus ex machina. I can clearly see vulcano manipulation from artifacts or epic rituals...but from ordinary spells...nope...that will just break far to many stories.
/Pa Staav

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2010, 06:02:42 PM »
This is totally OT now, but since we are here.....I watched a documentary about volcanoes last night.  IT is far more likely that you will die from starvation caused by crop die-off than you will from the actual explosion. 

That, or a really rare kind of cancer called Silicosis caused by inhaling volcanic ash.