Author Topic: Anyone tried to Re-create Cyradon in 3d?  (Read 7229 times)

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
Re: Anyone tried to Re-create Cyradon in 3d?
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 09:58:05 AM »
Ok, here's a lamer question: how do I load the map after unzipping it in the Sauerbraten/packages/base folder?
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Darkeen's Battlefield - still going strong.
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 07:07:45 PM »
The first item could be achieved with a Co-op map creation system (multiple people can already edit the one map, making mapping tasks a LOT easier). I dont know/I dont believe that you can reactivate the monsters/move characters (defeats the purpose of a realtime 3d game really). Using the map as a 3d gaming environment for tabletop RPG's would be difficult as you couldnt use the monsters as they are designed to autoreact to PC's thus they would attack you in game mode - not in rpg mode. map creators/GM's cant autokill monsters either...

The second item is virtual impossible. While I have used one "square/cube" as being roughly 2.5 feet, thus 2 cubes is a 5 feet wide doorway! But keeping this scale exactly the entire way through the map is so hard that it would make the entire map creation an exercise in futility... It could be done but would take exponentially longer... There is a forum for Cube2 that points out how hard creating to scale maps is. If you had the time you could do this but since the Sefnar map does not have a scale any scale you artificially create is bound to be in error in someway. The other task is that there is no height scale to the map - so how high is each section of the ruins walls? These details have had to be guessed...

That said there is a project to make an add on to Sauerbraten for an RPG environment. I think this may be for computer game roleplayig as opposed to using it as a table top supplement but hey, maybe when it is released you might be able to use it for some extent?

----------
Hint: in the map.cfg file, if you add/change:

thirdperson <0/1>

then you can change the view from the standard quake view (first person) to "tomb radier view" (third person).
The rpg maps have thirdperson turned on but I find it easier to use firstperson for these maps.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 07:13:51 PM by jasonbrisbane »
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer
Author of "The Ruins of Kausur"
http://roleplayingapps.wordpress.com

Offline twh

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Aaarrrgggssshhhh!!!
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 11:22:27 PM »
I've spent the past few days poking around in Sauerbraten and I'm very impressed.  I think the active area of my game world will wind up as a Cube 2 map.

I also am concerned about scale, but not overly so.  I haven't dug far into their forums yet but I too had originally thought that 2.5 feet per default grid square was about right; now I'm not so sure.  If the default player model "Mr. Fixit" is assumed to be average height, say 5' 10", then the default grid is more like 3 feet.  From what you're saying, Jason, it sounds like it's up to the mapper to decide.

A bigger concern for me is that I have yet to figure out how to keep up with where I am.  If I'm doing a few square miles of outdoor map, and I've figured how to convert my own hex map coordinates to their square grid, how do I find a particular location on the grid?  I'll figure out something.  Every day I play with it a while and figure out something else.

I think it will help my players' immersion to actually walk down the roads their characters have traveled and recognize the locations they've visited.  I think I'll enjoy that myself.

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2008, 09:35:53 AM »
Hi twh,

You've discovered the problems of mapping a tabletop map to a 3d fully immersive environment.

The only reliable method I can find is to map the ground with different textures for every certain # of feet - ie 30 feet is 10 cubes @3feet each.
Alternatively you create a Line of Differing texture at the smallest Cube size every 30 feet.

At least it will be a start.

Arioch,

If you in the game then

press ~
type /map sefnar

Or alternatively you could bring up the Load map option, select rpg tab and sefnar should be in the list.

Or create an icon for Sauerbraten and add '-lsefnar' to the end (that is Minus L <mapname>)
When you doubleclick the icon it should load that map.

I've taken a break from adding to the map this week but I'll get back into it next week (I've OD'ed on Sauerbraten in the past week!)
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2008, 10:18:26 AM »
Arioch,

If you in the game then

press ~
type /map sefnar

Or alternatively you could bring up the Load map option, select rpg tab and sefnar should be in the list.

Thanks!
Probably I did something wrong because the map didn't show up in the rpg tab... but now it's all ok and I can say that looks pretty cool!
Very well done! ;D
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline twh

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Aaarrrgggssshhhh!!!
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2008, 10:36:23 AM »
I had thought about doing a checkerboard pattern using a large gridsize in order to orient myself to distances, then once an area was roughed in I could add the final textures.  Once I'm a little more familiar with the program I'll probably create a template map with such things already in place and use the template as the starting point for actual maps.

I had the same problem as Arioch did, Sefnar did not show up in the map list.  The files were placed in ../packages/base and I'm not aware of any config settings that are needed.  Loading from the console worked fine, however.

I don't suppose there's an easy way to add text--just floating notes--to a map?

Offline twh

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Aaarrrgggssshhhh!!!
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2008, 12:19:58 PM »
Okay, just found it: http://cube.wikispaces.com/Script+Demo+-+Map+Menu

The map menu does not autoupdate, you have to add new maps manually.

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2008, 09:03:19 PM »
Sorry, that looks familiar so I must have done that prior to starting the map itself (LOL!)
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2008, 09:28:28 PM »
Just an Update:

Have done three quarters of the Sefnar map but may have to redo some parts due to scaling issues (oops).
Wil finish it and upload as soon as I can. (I might need it for my game in either Saturday or a fortnight after so it should be available shortly before or after!)
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2008, 04:10:20 AM »
Update:
7/8ths complete. Just got 3-5 buildings to complete.
Added trees and a few bushes in workers housing, streetside, etc

The view down main street from West to east is absolutely fantatsic!
 8)
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2008, 10:04:37 AM »
Just an update:

Sefnar is finished!

It has been listed as Version 0.5 as the scale is a little off (it doesnt help when you realise this after you've reached the edge of the map!) and the bottom right corner buildings are built entirely using corners. While this still looks ok to makwe the map EXACTLY as per the Sefnar pic would take a phenominally long time and I'm too tired to contemplate it.

On the good side the trees and bushes that would have grown after the Re-Awakening have been inserted and as you enter the town you can glance past the trees on the edge of the market square to the hazy image of the eastern gate...

It looks just as I imagined!!

I hope you like it too!
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer