Author Topic: Have you seen me?  (Read 3916 times)

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Have you seen me?
« on: November 28, 2007, 08:01:38 PM »
Missing:  One badly needed facet of the RMSS rules concerning the use of martial arts.  Please find me as I have been kidnapped by evil terrorists:

http://www.icewebring.com/ICE_Products/RMSS/RMSS_5602_Martial_Arts_Companion.php

If you find me, send me to the Guild Companion folks for immediate reprinting!
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Have you seen me?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 08:05:58 PM »
Martial Arts and Channeling Companions, best work ICE has ever done to supplement RM.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 08:50:28 PM »
The new Combat Companion will be very usable in RMFRP, and will be better then the Martial Arts Companion.

Offline Fatman

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 04:53:19 AM »
The new Combat Companion will be very usable in RMFRP, and will be better then the Martial Arts Companion.

Sorry for the semi hijack, but does someone know when this book is due to be released? I for one use Martial Arts Companion, a tad modified, and I have to agree with Yammahoper that it is one of the best books around (Castle and Ruins is a about as good; yes, I know, I'm different).
-= Don't mistake lack of talent for genious =-

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 08:00:24 AM »
LOVE Castle and Ruins too.

It will not be a simple task to beat out Martial Arts Companion.  I will wait and see, but doing so IS a tall order.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 09:34:51 AM »
It does me good to see I'm not the only one who wants this.

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 09:43:16 AM »
I loved MAC as well, though over time I found I had several big issues with the Styles.   Styles in MAC add too much complexity and skill bloat by adding several new skills but leaving the old skills.   Now not only did you have weapon skills but you had "Style" skills, which conceptually is a bear - what exactly is a Style?   What is fighting without a style like?     Why wouldn't you learn a style when you learn your weapon, rather then separately?

Additionally, there are problems with the way styles are costed.   Many Style abilities (init bonus, crit adjustment, bonus to skills) are static regardless of how many ranks there are in the Style skill.   The break of Basic/Advanced style gives an inordinate amount of 30 pt and 60 pt styles.   The restricted nature of Advanced styles means that fighter's, in many cases, have an incentive to fight "style-less" to get the larger OB (especially when fighting tough opponents).

In my view, the Styles as presented in the Combat Companion fix all these issues (yes, I've read it).   I admit however the MAC does still have useful information on historical Styles, and I still praise the MAC for taking that first step toward styles.   It was definitely a step in the right direction, and the Combat Companion takes it to the next level.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 09:47:32 AM »

Sorry for the semi hijack, but does someone know when this book is due to be released? I for one use Martial Arts Companion, a tad modified, and I have to agree with Yammahoper that it is one of the best books around (Castle and Ruins is a about as good; yes, I know, I'm different).

Early next year is the current working time frame. I am going through a series of editorial changes right now.

Some things that it contains:

3 new semi-spell using, combat oriented professions.
--Champion (channeling - sort of a generic Paladin)
--Elemental Warrior (essence - as the name implies, however he focuses on a single element)
--Venturer (mentalism - kinda of a Warrior Mentalist, but most of his spells are geared for enhancing himself).
(RMC only)

Armor by the Piece rules -- 20 Armor Ratings, in a mix-n-match system. This requires new attack tables (also included in the book) however, because it also involved a shift in how armor is thought about by the system. Includes learning armor as a single skill, not multiple skills (EA4 for gives a variant of this for use with current ATs) (for both RMC and RMFRP)

Combat Styles - get rid of all those weapon skills, DP costs are determined by the complexity of the style and the profession's original weapon costs. (EA4 actually contains something like a tiny preview of this in that it give basic weapon styles (i.e. attack and parry as per normal).
(should work well for both RMC and RMFRP)

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 10:02:19 AM »
Will it also contain revised spell attack tables?
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 10:32:30 AM »
yes

Offline Fatman

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 05:17:48 PM »
Armor by the Piece rules -- 20 Armor Ratings, in a mix-n-match system. This requires new attack tables (also included in the book) however, because it also involved a shift in how armor is thought about by the system. Includes learning armor as a single skill, not multiple skills (EA4 for gives a variant of this for use with current ATs) (for both RMC and RMFRP)

I'm I correct to assume that these rules will be somewhat similar to, what I feel was one of the best parts of HARP, namely the mix'n'match armour rules?
-= Don't mistake lack of talent for genious =-

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 07:10:54 PM »
I'm I correct to assume that these rules will be somewhat similar to, what I feel was one of the best parts of HARP, namely the mix'n'match armour rules?

Yes. The cuirass or shirt determines basic Armor Rating. Then other pieces of armor add to overall DB. Thus, you could have a soft leather cuirass with metal greaves and bracers and a fur helm.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 04:18:49 PM »
Wow.  Looks like I should have named this the "Let's pump the Admin for information" Thread.   ;D

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 04:38:02 PM »
I gave you a laugh point for that one...

:D