Author Topic: Can Elemental Bolts be parried?  (Read 10846 times)

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Can Elemental Bolts be parried?
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2007, 08:04:50 AM »
In RMFRP, missile parry REQUIRES 50% action.  It is just different math.

Lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2007, 08:47:37 AM »

It does in RMC as well. However, there are other comments and statements scattered through the RMFRP book that, when taken together, say that Missile Fire Parry does not work on Elemental Bolts in RMSS/FRP.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2007, 08:51:10 AM »
If'n the rules were unclear, and you don't particularly like the idea, why officially rule it incompatable with FRP instead of clarifying on the side of making the rules parallell. (I'd think nudging the RMC and RMFRP rules slowly closer together would be a positive goal in and of itself.)
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2007, 10:13:53 AM »
Elemental bolts do a physical attack.
Shields can protect against elemental bolts (granted, not as efficiently as arrows or melee attacks).
Therefore, the same rules that allow for "parrying" an arrow also apply to other similar physical attacks.
Bolt spells are considered a similar physical attack.
This does not grant new abilities to other spells.

Quoting the earlier reasoning behind the ruling, the main problem those opposed seem to have is with the italicized statement, i.e. they don't consider bolts a similar attack, or at least not similar enough.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2007, 10:32:14 AM »

It does in RMC as well. However, there are other comments and statements scattered through the RMFRP book that, when taken together, say that Missile Fire Parry does not work on Elemental Bolts in RMSS/FRP.

Yes, but rules can be changed if it's necessary, I agree with LordMiller that if RMFRP and RMC rules could be moved nearer little by little it would be better...  :)
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2007, 11:11:55 AM »
If'n the rules were unclear, and you don't particularly like the idea, why officially rule it incompatable with FRP instead of clarifying on the side of making the rules parallell. (I'd think nudging the RMC and RMFRP rules slowly closer together would be a positive goal in and of itself.)

Because to us, it isn't unclear at all.

We may not like the ruling we made, but it IS there and this clarification of the rule was made because it was felt that the clarification was needed thanks to there being a difference in opinion in the discussion in which this first topic arose.

In RMFRP, on pages 215 & 219, there are DB breakdowns specifically for missile fire and for directed spell attacks. The one for missile fire includes parrying, the one for directed spells does not, thus that, along with a few other things, implies no parrying of directed spell attacks in RMFRP.

In RMC, the same is not true. In RMC Spell Law we say shields can effect elemental bolt attacks, and that they are treated and resolved like other physical attacks.  The way that the statements are phrased gives you the right to use the Missile Fire Parrying rules against elemental bolt attacks.

And even if we disagree with the ruling that we ourselves made, it is there in the rules, and ICE is NOT in the habit of making rulings to take away something that the rules gives you. If we had realized this BEFORE the RMC books came out, things may have turned out differently.

Quoting the earlier reasoning behind the ruling, the main problem those opposed seem to have is with the italicized statement, i.e. they don't consider bolts a similar attack, or at least not similar enough.

Then a GM can house rule it. That simple.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2007, 11:19:05 AM »
I did not mean to imply bolt parry is possible in RMFRP, but only that missile parry is a 50% action, so FULL OB can be used to parry with if 50% activity is used.  Since no lower range is listed, I demand 50%.  Less available activity means no missile parry.  Also, no attack can be made unless hasted, as attacks require at least 60% action in RMFRP, and suffer a -1 mod per point of activity used below 100%.

Whew.  It IS simple, but explaining it makes it seem complicated.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2007, 11:23:25 AM »
In RMFRP, on pages 215 & 219, there are DB breakdowns specifically for missile fire and for directed spell attacks. The one for missile fire includes parrying, the one for directed spells does not, thus that, along with a few other things, implies no parrying of directed spell attacks in RMFRP.

???
The DB table for melee/missile attacks 02-02 on page 13 of RMC AL lists parry, as does the OB table for melee/missile attacks 02-09 on page 17 of RMC AL. While the EAR modifications table on page 267 of RMC SL does not list parry. . .Am I missing something, or does that not exactly parallell what you're saying about the FRP book? The only difference seems to be that the RMC items are in two books, since FRP is a "unified" system in one cover.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2007, 11:28:34 AM »
No, it is not the same thing as what I referred to.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2007, 11:29:45 AM »
okay, the ruling was made.

If you don't like it, you can always "house rule" it. However, official discussion on this topic is now over.

Note: you can start another thread to discuss this if you like, but don't expect official participation in that discussion.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 11:36:53 AM by Rasyr »