Author Topic: [RMC] Food Poisoning  (Read 3491 times)

James McMurray

[RMC] Food Poisoning
« on: September 05, 2007, 09:33:33 PM »
Can someone tell me if the equipment or services tables in RMC have chances for getting food poisoning if you skimp on a meal, and whether they're labelled optional or not?

Thanks!

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: [RMC] Food Poisoning
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 09:52:30 PM »
Ah...the inevitable rpgnet thread that declines into edition wars...sigh...guilty as charged...none the less...food poisoning rolls are pretty awesome...I'd use 'em!

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 08:01:50 AM »
I recall these percentages were listed on some old services table, but dang if I can recall were.  So much for my one time perfect recall.  Dont use it, lose it.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 01:37:33 AM »
If memory serves, the equipment lists listed meals as something like the below:

Light meal, 3% chance of illness.
Normal meal, 2% chance of illness.
Heavy meal, 1% chance of illness.

Week?s rations, Normal spoilage.
Trail rations, 1 week. Preserved.

Normal Spoilage would equate to: 0% first day, with +1%/day after the first.

Preserved always depended upon preservation.  Even the Neanderthals had fairly good preservation techniques such smoking/drying meats, vegetables, and fruits for the long haul.  We used the rule of 0% first week, with +1%/week after the first.

We used the "Chance of Illness ? 3" to indicate the "Chance of Food Poisoning."

Maybe lame, but that is what my wife and I used.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 01:49:51 AM »
Now to add some further info.  I think some of this comes from my reading the National Geographic collection started by me dad in 1952.  I have every issue from March 1952 to present.  (NOT FOR SALE!)

Totally dehydrated meats, vegetables, and fruits are basically preserved almost forever unless they are hit with water or high humidity.

There have been excavations of meat and vegetables that were 1000s of years old, but when rehydrated, proved to still be edible.  There was even a frozen Mammoth in the Siberia that was 10s of thousands years old, but the meat was still so well preserved, it MAY have been edible.  Though no one volunteered to prove it.  Needless to say, I would not have volunteered.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 03:07:01 PM »
Gotta love the NG collection!

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 04:23:37 PM »
There was even a frozen Mammoth in the Siberia that was 10s of thousands years old, but the meat was still so well preserved, it MAY have been edible.  Though no one volunteered to prove it.  Needless to say, I would not have volunteered.

So it is a rumor that the leader of the excavation-expedition ate mammoth steak ?
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 10:04:33 PM »
Heh!  Of course, if Rolemaster has a food poisoning chart it's a horrible, offensive complication, but if Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay has one it's brilliant genre emulation.

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 01:09:56 AM »
in RMC it might hardly have been noticed as it is just one of the charts, in other games it would probably as you say be thought of as genius and make people wonder why no one have done it before
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame