Author Topic: Which version of RMC to buy?  (Read 6007 times)

Offline shnar

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Which version of RMC to buy?
« on: September 05, 2007, 11:33:17 AM »
PDF, Softcover, Hardcover, or LE Hardcover?

I've been wanting to pick up RMC but I'm not sure which ones I should buy. It's looking more and more that my local gaming company won't carry RMC (claims their distributor can't get them), so I'll be buying online. Money is really no object when it comes to Rolemaster, you should see how much I've spent on old MERP products, but I'm curious as to A) how the different versions look compared to each other and B) how they will stand up the test of usage. In other words, if I buy a hardcover, will I be satisfied, or should I just get the softcover?

Anyone have any photos of the different RMCs I could look at to compare?

-shnar

Offline Michael Petrea

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Which version of RMC to buy?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 11:49:03 AM »
Hardcover.  They stand up better on the book shelf  :)

and PDFs.  You can re-order pages, bookmark and print exactly what you want.  Also, searching is easy.

Offline shnar

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 11:55:43 AM »
Which is why I wish I could get a bundle pricing on PDFs + Hardbounds. I mean $130 + $45 seems a bit much...

-shnar

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 01:56:34 PM »
Purchase PDFs now to get immediate use of the product. Save up your money and go for hardcover in the future.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 01:57:06 PM »
I like PDF's because I can print any page for reference or to creat my GM screen but I prefer hardbounds as they hold up longer.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline shnar

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 02:01:15 PM »
I like 'em both, and want them both, again I just wish there was a little better deal on purchasing both :)

-shnar

Offline Monteblanco

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 02:21:13 PM »
I plan to buy the hardcover edition. However, I am not sure if it is the best option to Arms Law, which have to be heavily consulted during any game session. In the end, I might keep using my old copy -- if there aren't many changes in the tables -- or buy a pdf copy from which I can make prints of what I need.

Offline shnar

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 02:29:00 PM »
Which hardcover edition though? Normal or LE? I'd love to see some real photos of the two types to compare...

-shnar

Offline Setorn

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 03:15:32 PM »
Well, I have the pdfs and should be getting my Hard Cover ed on Monday.  I  will let you know what I think of the Hard Covers.  I my group will be getting a set of soft covers as well.  I will not be getting the LE.  I wont be able to talk to that.  I start my new RMC game this Saturday, and will let all know more.   
Rev. Scott

It all started with two men vs. three-hundred thousand orcs.

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 10:11:23 AM »
Got the pdf's and waiting for the LE Hardbacks to arrive...
1. Get the pdf
2. Get the hardbacks

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 10:46:11 AM »
I first got the PDFs to check out the edition changes and layout, liked it enough to want it as a hardbound
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Solmage

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 12:25:20 PM »
Hi everyone,

I used to have an old boxed version of RM which I loved but got lost during a move (sniff..) and I thought about getting a replacement. RMC sounds like a good idea, but I had a few questions:

Besides the faux-leather cover, which doesn't sound particularly appealing, is there any difference between the limited edition and the regular one?

I understand that RMC changed the way turns are handled. Are the old rules still listed as an optional rule somewhere?

Lastly, some questions & comments about Rolemaster Express:

This sounded like a really great idea to try to get some friends of mine to try out the system, but after downloading the preview, I realized I would be missing several things which are 'what defined RM as truly great for me', among others:

- potential stats
- variable DPs based on stats
- possibly the armor system
- The rest I'd have to see it to see how much I could live with/without  ;)

Now, the question: Are there any plans to release stuff like those rules in the form of expansions for the express system? I mean, at $5 for a PDF and say another $5 to get potential stats with DP costs I could see myself taking the gamble to introduce some friends into the system :)

Anyway, thanks in advance for any replies.

Offline Setorn

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 12:32:41 PM »
Well RMX (Rolemaster Express) will have bridge information released in Express Editions.  Express Editions are $2 pdfs to slowly add in RMC rule.  Two have been released already (check out the home page). 
Rev. Scott

It all started with two men vs. three-hundred thousand orcs.

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 12:34:34 PM »
Solmage, the old turn sequence is a free download in The Vault (follow the Downloads link in the top left)  Look under RM2 it is called "RM2 Tactical Combat Sequence".

RMX is missing out on some of the really cool things, but that was necessary to make it simple.  You can always get RMC instead which would have all those rules.    As far as future expansions of Express, there already is such a thing:   Express Additions which is a small newsletter available as a PDF in the ICE store.   There are currently #1 and #2 available.  Can' remember what is in #1, but in #2 there are some new races, weapon kata rules, and something called Adventure Rewards (which are like Talents).   The idea is that Express Additions can be used to expand upon RMX and to a lesser degree RMC also which currently doesn't have some of these rules either (katas, Adventure Rewards).

As far as content goes there is no difference between the regular and Limited Editions of RMC.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 01:14:48 PM »
Hi everyone,

Welcome to the ICE forums!

I used to have an old boxed version of RM which I loved but got lost during a move (sniff..) and I thought about getting a replacement. RMC sounds like a good idea, but I had a few questions:

Besides the faux-leather cover, which doesn't sound particularly appealing, is there any difference between the limited edition and the regular one?

The only difference between the various versions of RMC is the covers. The faux leather ones are for those who want a collectible, special product that they likely will never use.  ;D If you are planning on using them a good bit, I would go with the soft covers or the regular hard covers.

I understand that RMC changed the way turns are handled. Are the old rules still listed as an optional rule somewhere?

As Vroomfroogle pointed out, you can get those from the download section. Here is a direct link to the Download entry where you can get it from: http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item578

Lastly, some questions & comments about Rolemaster Express:

This sounded like a really great idea to try to get some friends of mine to try out the system, but after downloading the preview, I realized I would be missing several things which are 'what defined RM as truly great for me', among others:

- potential stats
- variable DPs based on stats
- possibly the armor system
- The rest I'd have to see it to see how much I could live with/without  ;)

And these are all things that you can easily add back in if you have RMC. The idea behind RMX is to be an introduction, an easy way for folks to try RM without overwhelming them. it is FULLY compatible with RMC, and you can add bits of RMC to the RMX rules gradually as your players become more used to the system.

It'll be much much easier to get them interested in trying a game that takes up 88 pages, than it would be to try a game that takes up 574 pages spread over 3 books.

Let's look at the thing you listed...
  • Potential Stats -- that is just a straight add to what is there.
  • Variable DP based on stats -- Guess what, easy to do. RMX is set up so that we give you a group of numbers to assign to your stats. If you were using the variable DP based on stats, you would get 35 DPs, which is exactly the number of DPs we give to players. We took THIS issue into account and then rigged it to make simple to put this int RMX if the players/GM wanted it.
  • Armor System -- RMX uses a Condensed Combat System (CCS), so the armor system is condensed as well. It would be nothing to just replace the  CCS with RMC Arms Law (which includes th armor descriptions)
  • The Rest -- As I have said, RMX was designed specifically to allow you to start with it and then move on up into RMC with no hassles at all.

Now, the question: Are there any plans to release stuff like those rules in the form of expansions for the express system? I mean, at $5 for a PDF and say another $5 to get potential stats with DP costs I could see myself taking the gamble to introduce some friends into the system :)

Again, as Vroomfroogle pointed out, Express Additions already does this to some degree, as well as introducing things that are new to both RMC and RMX.

;D

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2007, 01:17:43 PM »
As stated above:
The Express Additions provide professions, races and rules to expand RMX to RMC.
(And beyond, because they are also playground for new rules like Adventure Rewards *)

Welcome to Express Additions, the first in a series of PDFs intended to expand upon the material found in Rolemaster Express (RME), to bring it closer to the Rolemaster Classic line of products.

So you could purchase RMC with nearly everything you know from RM2, but in a clean up version.

* The Adventure Rewards will be part of a companion to be released in the future.
(Working title: Gift Companion as announced in this newsletter)

You may follow the links to the Express Additions:

Express Additon #1

In this, our first issue, we will give you 4 more races (High Men, High Elves, Half Elves, and Lesser Orcs), 2 more professions (Rogue and Mentalist), and all of the spells needed for using the realm of Mentalism with RME.

Express Addition #2

Races -- 4 more races to fill out your RMX game, including the Half Orc.
Professions -- Beware the Warrior Monk and the Monk! .
Spells -- We can't give you the Monk without giving you his spells.
Skills -- Adrenal Moves, Adrenal Defense, and Martial Arts. Everything your budding young martial artist needs for RMX
New Rules & Options: Weapon Katas -- An all new take on weapon katas. Not a reprint of earlier rules.
New Rules & Options: Adventure Rewards -- With these rules, your players can really work on making their characters unique!
New Adventure -- Are you brave enough to face the Wizard's Apprentice?

Welcome to the forum Solmage
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com

Offline Maldroth

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2007, 03:29:15 PM »
Okay I can chime in here a bit and offer some feedback as I have recently purchased the RMX and plan to run it for a group, then later switch to RMC.

RMX is a good intro system however...

there are quite a few things that are different as such it will seem like relearning the system all over again. Combat, Spell List aquisition, Potential stats, Development Points from stats, and a few other things.

I'm just hoping it won't confuse players too much.

Please don't take these things as negatives however there are plenty of things in RMX that make starting characters easier and more fun to play for those just starting out. Increased starting Hits and SP will help make the game seem less lethal at those early critical levels. Most veterans know what to do so it isn't a problem anymore, new players its a little more difficult to make those critical decisions not knowing the system well enough.

For the $5 I paid for the PDF RMX was more than worth it. If you forsee your group playing it for a length of time I even recomend folks chipping in $5 for the 6-pack of the printed RMX rules then you save rather than paying $10 for each individual printed copy.

Oh the Express Additions are pretty handy as well not a bad bargain either.

Offline frnchqrtr

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2007, 03:42:50 PM »
My SnD softcover set arrived the other day, and I give that option a waaaay big thumbs up.  I haven't been over them with a microscope yet, but if I didn't know they were SnD, I would probably have attributed the exceptionally minor dinged corners to the shipping agency.

I definitely recommend adding SnD softcovers to your list of options.
"If one would give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest man, I would find something in them to have him hanged." - Cardinal and Duc de Richelieu

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" - Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis

Offline Ranger

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2007, 04:47:52 PM »

I ordered the Softcover version over the weekend, and I received them today.  The quality appears to be very good and though reorganized the system is still easily recognized. I am avidly reading the books and plan to try to get a game started soon on either PBEM or PBP.
 Good job of reintroducing an excellent game. I was very disappointed in RMSS and RMFRP compared to the older system. now I have my favorite game back, Thanks. :D ;D :D ;D

Offline shnar

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2007, 05:32:58 PM »
Hey, if you need players for a PBEM game, I'm game...

-shnar