Author Topic: Demonic gates  (Read 3431 times)

Offline Finwe

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Demonic gates
« on: August 29, 2007, 04:24:42 PM »
Some questions about summon of demons:

1. Do you use some type of restriction at the time of summon demons of great power? According to the rules, a sorcerer can have controlled up to 2 entities without concerning the level of each one of them.

2. Do you use ?spell mastery? combined with the invocation of entities? Of being thus it can happen that they use it to multiply the probabilities % of the spell and appear demons of great power. This, added to which he commented in point 1 causes that a sorcerer of level 15 can take controlled 2 ?balrogs? of level 50 !! , but that has happened to me.

3. Do you give PXs gained by a controlled entities directly to the sorcerer? And in the case of undeads or familiar trained tie with the user?

All these points have happened to me during my campaign and there are decompensated enormously the adventure. Any suggestion??

Thank you and excuse my english.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
Re: Demonic gates
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 05:09:31 PM »
3. Do you give PXs gained by a controlled entities directly to the sorcerer? And in the case of undeads or familiar trained tie with the user?

I can only answer on this one. We don't track the Critical Points, Spell Points or Maneuver Points of summoned creatures. But we do hand out the Kill Points to the summoner. We also have a house rule to distribute all Kill Points among all PCs, so that in our case all characters participate evenly from these XPs.

Welcome to the forums!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 06:45:13 PM »
I use different summoning rules so I cannot answer #1 or #2 but #3 I do not give the summoner XP's for things the summoned creature killed. I do not give XP's now but when I did each creature had its own XP's to keep track of.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 01:24:38 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

1. We don't have restrictions besides those on the spell lists. But, demons are surely not happy to be controlled by others and, the more powerful they are the more unhappy (and usually the more intelligent) they are. So keeping under control two very high level demons should be a very dangerous thing: at the first error or the first mispelled order you'll find you hoping for a swift death...

2. I let players to use SM to multiply the number of entities summoned, but not to choose which type to summon, neither to reduce the % that the demon will break control.

3. No, summoner gain no XPs from the actions of the entity. He only gain XPs for summoning/controlling it.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 09:31:11 AM »
2. I think the answer to this is to use the summoning skill (Essence Companion).

3. Not, caster and summoned creatures are only linked by mental control, not by soul link.

And about point 1, there are no rules about this, but I think you could use some (summoned levels / caster level) ratio if you like. But if you require 'summoning' skill to determine the summoned creature level, I think this is not necessary becuase now it depends on summoner skill instead using directly the level. This rewards to caster that effort in summoning developing the skill, using the level is too generic IMO.

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 12:03:02 PM »

An aside related to item 1 - in RM2 I introduced what I called "Will to Control." Take the casters Will, divide by 10 (or even 20) and that is the max levels they can control/master at once. You can then, if you wish, add X levels per level of caster depending on whether they are a summoning class (say a Mage gets 1 extra control level per mage level) or not (a Paladin gets 1 control level per 4 of his levels... ).

Ciao,
Old Man
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 12:55:21 PM »
We have always allowed the used of Spell Mastery to only determine which type AND race of demon summoned (You want a N`ng then now you can choose to get one) instead of just hoping for blind luck and GM`s kindness. I think in RMSS/RMFRP there is a skill specific for this skills as mentioned above.

As for XP, though we dont really use XP that way, I would properly only allow Kill Points to go to the Master. Here I guess I think along the pattern of the many MMORPGs, but else I would leave it up to you.

As for number of Beasts/Entities controlled, isnt that described under the notes of the different spell lists? I wouldnt allow Spell Mastery to change this parameter, though
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 11:39:54 PM »
Thinking about it now you could  also use the cleric turning guidlines as summoning guidlines. But IMO it is not just some spell you learn and then you can summon anything. You have to learn different names, use rare spell componets etc to sommon more powerful entities.

But if you game is summoning based like Elric for example you GM may have other rules for you to follow. I always try and ask the GM first but if you are the GM now is the time to make some rulings.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.