Author Topic: Classic Arms Law hardcover  (Read 5195 times)

Offline Monteblanco

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Classic Arms Law hardcover
« on: August 26, 2007, 07:37:24 PM »
I'm planning to start a Rolemaster campaign later this year and, as such, I'm considering to update my old RM2 books with a set of RMC hardcovers. However, I'm not sure how Arms Law binding will hold the kind of usage I am expecting during actual game play. Does anyone have some experience to comment about it?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 12:01:41 AM by Monteblanco »

Offline shnar

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Classic Arms Law hardcover
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 10:21:05 PM »
I'm actually curious about this as well. I'm looking at all my old RM2 books and noticing the wear and tear, I'm wondering if investing in RMC hardbound is a bad idea and should just stick to the softbound/less expensive books. The only hardbound book I have that has some use is the old Minas Tirith city book, but I didn't use that anywhere near as much as the core rules (or RMCII for that matter, that's one thrashed book).

-shnar

Offline Monteblanco

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 12:00:12 AM »
I recall that Bruce once said something that he was planning to use stapples in Arms Law as he thought this would be more convinient to the kind of usage the book was supose to take.

Offline Setorn

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 10:08:52 AM »
Well My players are going to by soft covers for themselves.  I always strongly suggest that the PCs have each a copy of Arms Law.  I bought hard covers.  My PC's bought pdfs as well.  This is helpful as my computers are right where we play. 
Rev. Scott

It all started with two men vs. three-hundred thousand orcs.

Offline Monteblanco

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 08:04:18 PM »
Well My players are going to by soft covers for themselves.  I always strongly suggest that the PCs have each a copy of Arms Law.  I bought hard covers.  My PC's bought pdfs as well.  This is helpful as my computers are right where we play. 

I like the idea of buying Arms Law as a pdf file and then print the tables for the weapons being used by the players. Still, I would like to know if the hardcover edition is worth of its price or it would not be able to keep up with the usage.

Offline Setorn

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 11:39:30 AM »
I can tell you later, when I have gotten it.  It is to ship tomorrow from what Bruce told me.  They have add a few issues getting them out right way but I believe that is solved. 
Rev. Scott

Offline Monteblanco

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 03:39:09 PM »
I can tell you later, when I have gotten it.  It is to ship tomorrow from what Bruce told me.  They have add a few issues getting them out right way but I believe that is solved. 

Great! I lookk forward to hear your comments.

Offline Setorn

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 11:45:09 AM »
Just to let you know my order has been delayed again (not angry).  Still, will let you know. 
Rev. Scott

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 05:46:38 PM »
I do know that Bruce beats the living crap out of the prototypes before he accepts them, doing such things as spilling water on them, back folding the binding, testing to see if pages tear out of the binding or just seperate out, and winging books binding first into the wall at the back of the office.

Some of the delays in books relate to Bruce being dissatisfied with the results of his tests to destruction, so I'd presume that once they actually get shipped, they should be fairly sturdy.

The one upside of PDFs or having access to a photocopier is the ability to produce single sheets of attack and crit tables. . . .once my group started photocopying all tables relevant to their PC, so that the books only saw use by the GM for tables, the lifespan of our copies of SL and AL went way up. . .it's all that "Book bent open to Broadsword" that kills them.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Setorn

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 05:58:31 PM »
Honestly, I am not angry Bruce has kept me informed, and I hope to get them before we start this coming Saturday, but if not oh well I have the pdfs, and one copy of Character Law. 
Rev. Scott

Offline shnar

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 04:15:51 PM »
We did the same thing, photocopied all the relavent charts. In fact, in the RM2 + RMCII hayday, our character sheets were 4 pages long (the front summary, back page, and 2 pages of skills). We photocopied that onto a large sheet of paper folded in half (about 16x11, so when folded in half was an 8x11) and this booklet then held the extra charts (i.e. spelllaw copies, armslaw tables, crits as well). This way, each player had their own little booklet to play with. Seems like a lot, but really saved time once combat started.

-shnar

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 08:47:22 PM »
Big time. . . .if you don't have at least one copy of Spell Law per pure caster, you get occasional disputes over the book to go over the lists. . . . .all handily fixed by having the copies handy. . .

OTOH about 2 years ago, we had a session with 5 people, and three had laptops open. . .I found that kind of irritating, mostly due to the "Folded open" screens breaking up line of sight and eye contact. . . but those people had all their stuff handy, and then some.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Monteblanco

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 09:14:20 PM »
[...]OTOH about 2 years ago, we had a session with 5 people, and three had laptops open. . .I found that kind of irritating, mostly due to the "Folded open" screens breaking up line of sight and eye contact. . . but those people had all their stuff handy, and then some.

That's the main reason why I think laptops have no place in a gaming table. Without eye contact, the whole event becames dull.

Offline Setorn

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 03:20:29 PM »
Well,  I will be getting my Hard Cover around Monday Bruce told me.

As for Lap tops (personally I hate using them), one play gets everything pdf and used his lap top.  We play next to my three PC's and I have the pdfs & books.  So computers in game no biggie to me. 
Rev. Scott

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 04:50:30 PM »
personally I dont think they (computers) belong at a gaming table. Personally I prefer everything on paper, but that is maybe for that nostalgic feeling. They are great though for character generation and for reading books for when not at home.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Setorn

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2007, 04:26:50 PM »
Well, My hard covers arrived today.  I quick look over the hard cover makes me think that it will hold up to use during play.  We will not play RMC again until the 29th.  I still feel that having the pdfs is a good ideal, as well.  We have the paper perfect bound and they appear durable too.  I will have more as we play with them.
Rev. Scott

Offline shnar

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2007, 05:00:45 PM »
Which hardbounds did you get? RMC or the Limited Editions? (debating on that as well)

-shnar

Offline Setorn

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2007, 12:06:11 AM »
RMC not LE, but as former book store manager (before my ordination), I must note normally hard bound is hard bound. 
Rev. Scott

Offline Monteblanco

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2007, 04:45:09 PM »
Setorn,

Does they open flat over the table or this would push them a little too much?

Offline Setorn

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 10:18:45 PM »
I think that I understand the question.  Yes, they sit flat on the table.  The pages bow and they are flatter than the paper back ones (my group no longer sits around a table.  We sit in a living room setting).  I am very please with their quality.  I hope to know more when we use them in play. 
Rev. Scott