Author Topic: What's your favourite Archmage combo?  (Read 3599 times)

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
What's your favourite Archmage combo?
« on: August 20, 2007, 03:59:43 AM »
Yeah, what's your favourite collection of baselists for an Archmage (RM2)? (6 lists, no restrictions)

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
Re: What's your favourite Archmage combo?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 04:21:06 AM »
Definitely
"Power Words" from the Magus set - such a versatile utility list was seldom found in the base list sets of any profession.
"Body Renewal" - Then the healing list of the monk - if you don't go for the open and closed healing lists.
"Flesh Destruction" - is what I would go with nowadays, in the past Plasma Mastery was my attack list of choice.

... to be continued when I'm back ... will just edit this post
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Balhirath

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 01:05:11 PM »
Power Words from the Magus (C3) (the same reasons as munchy)
Lores Master from the Sage (C2). (Besides having some good spells for players with a less-than-perfect memory, it also have two constant and free spells that gives +20 reasoning and +20 memory)
Combat Enhancement from the WarriorMage (C2) OR The Fist from WitchHunter (C7) (In a perfect world, Archmages dont have to enter melee.. but with a GM, it's rarely a perfect world :) )
Wizard Staff from the Wizard (C5), Druid Staff from the Druid (C1) OR WarriorBlade from ArmsMaster (C7). The choise depend on the GM and the weapon. If you use a QStaff, take Wizard Staff IF the GM allows the Adder to work for Arcane spells and not just Essence spells. If not, take the druid staff, which have no such restrictions. If you use a blade, then WarriorBlade is very good.
Spirit Runes from Magus (C3). (It's always nice to be able to help the party with making magical weapons on the road)
Words of Power from RuneMaster (C2). (Versatile AND instantatious)

The greatest problem is as always that without knowing the style of play and the campaign, it's hard to say what lists would be best :)

I'm new here, but have played RM2 on and off for 20 years. :)

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 05:09:55 AM »
Interesting choices.
Looking forward to the follow up Munchy. :)

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 06:37:07 PM »
I never allowed other prof base list as base list.  Arcane list were base list.  Other base were learned as closed list.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline zorfwaddle

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Stuck in Pensacola
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 08:22:09 PM »
Ditto yamma.  I let them have four lists at the start, usually randomly chosen.  They would need to find the other lists in arcane tomes or learn them from ancient powers/scholars/archmages. To me, harnessing that sort of power is difficult, and it is hard to find documentation on how to use the stuff.  Could lead to tons of adventuring hooks :-)

George
"I throw my crossbow at him!"

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 11:31:13 PM »
Isn't the arcist the "Make your own lists" one? That would be more time consuming, but ultimately the most mind bogglingly absurd.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 12:54:40 AM »
Yes well... we all know Arch Mages can be scary but that wasn't the issue here.
This is the favourite combo with no holds barred.

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 02:04:53 AM »
Yes, the Arcist is the one with the "make your own 10 base lists" option. As for the Archmage I wouldnt allow him to start with Arcane lists unless he had the background option Lore, just like everyone else. As for lists ...

Definitely Shield Mastery and Lofty Bridges, possibly Fire and Light Law as well. Then Creations, and for healing Self Healing or Body renewal.

The last ones I will get back to later, which is the problem with the Archmage, so many damn options.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 09:57:15 AM »
A lot depends on your goal. If you want to create an elementalist, one direction, a melee monster, another. . .etc etc.

Like, you could create the GM nightmare information gatherer merging the realms. . ."Detect plot, Detect Plot, Detect Plot" . . . .
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Balhirath

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 02:10:28 PM »
*Shivers*
I would never allow it, but a Archmage with Time's Sense and Sleuth's Sense from Sleuth Base, Path Mastery from Ranger Base, Furture Visions from Seer Base and a few open Detection lists, could more or less spoil any plot or at least make life VERY difficult for the GM.

I'm new here, but have played RM2 on and off for 20 years. :)