Author Topic: Questions about Rules to learn spells  (Read 2277 times)

Offline Vince

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Questions about Rules to learn spells
« on: August 17, 2007, 08:47:41 AM »
I am not satisfied about our way of learning spells . Would someone tell me about how you do that in your games? All replies will be appreciated.

This is not about development points by profession, it's about time consuming, and material avaliable.

So,in you opinion:
  *1.-you can learn a spell list without spell books? you can learn only with a master?. If it is posible learn with a master without books, if takes more time than studying?

*2.-How many time you have to spend normally studying a spell list, before you can roll the percentage to try to learn it?

*3.-The semi-spell users have to spend more time studying that pure and hybrid users?

Order of the Iron Crown

(RM2+ Shadow World+ GM)

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
Re: Questions about Rules to learn spells
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 09:05:40 AM »
IMHO:

1.- You can learn spell lists from a book and/or from a master.

2.- Learning it from both "sources" (you study the book and the teacher show you how to do it) is the fastest way possible: 2 weeks and you can develop the first level spell of the list (just as the research time for a 1st level spell). If you have access to only one "source" you'll have to spend more time. Only from the book is IMHO the slowest way to learn something, so double the base time. Only from a master is base time x1,5.

3.- No, all users use the same time.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 11:17:56 AM »
RMSS rule book has a nice learning table in it.  It list time required in training/study to gain a rank, be it rank one, two, three, etc.  Just go to the table and add up the time required, then demand time spent in study, training, etc roleplayed in game.

Essense Companion list price of spell books and neat optional rules on use of spell books, learning without spell books, increased and decreased time with books and teachers, etc.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Balhirath

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 03:54:33 PM »
There are exellent rules for learning spells in Spell Users Companion and as far as I remember, also some in Comp 5. :)
I'm new here, but have played RM2 on and off for 20 years. :)

Offline Vince

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 12:37:27 PM »
Thank you all for your responses.

Just one more question before spend money:

For example the table in RMSS , with book and proper material and without a master, what's the average time can spend a Pure User and a SemiSpell User to learn a spell list?

Order of the Iron Crown

(RM2+ Shadow World+ GM)