Author Topic: All spellcasters-need some advice  (Read 4123 times)

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
All spellcasters-need some advice
« on: August 04, 2007, 09:02:35 AM »
I have started a new campaign using the Echoes of Heaven setting.  They are in Ludremon and are all spellcasters (Arcanist, Animist, Illusionist).  I am going to off of the concept that they will eventually form a coven in the mountains to the NW and help and aid against the ulcers of the world.  They are having a great time doing research and discovering things.  I want to keep things fun and exciting so what better place to come then the great ICE forums.

A.  What other things have you used to keep spellcasters int he game
B.  Any special creatures that are fun to play against spellcasters
C.  Any unique puzzles or riddles that are fun to explore?
D.  How many books of plain average knowledge would it take to aid in resarch (100 for a +5)?

So far they are playing it safe and are rooting out an ulcer north of Belm.  It is a small one with a node that is growing, there are some small villages around it and they have discovered the churches way of getting rid of ulcers (kill everything in an 8 mile radius).  Anyway they are investigating this as we speak and being only 2nd level it is quite tense since any hand to hand is likely to kill them.  They have hired three foreign mercenaries (they are going to stay loyal and not rat them out) to do some hand to hand.   

Thanks for all of your help in advance.

Offline Balhirath

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: All spellcasters-need some advice
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 04:28:13 PM »
A: That depend on the spellcasters and their skills :)
B: Constructs. They dont bleed. Dont take stun and cant be affected by spells that target the mind.
C: Hmm dont know.
D: Companion V have rules for research ans SUC have some as well :)

I'm new here, but have played RM2 on and off for 20 years. :)

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
Re: All spellcasters-need some advice
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 01:27:05 AM »
Just wave after wave of Knights Lonnuso.  :)  (I stole this line from GerikGnome today.)

Seriously, though, I think a lot of the fun in that game would be hiding that you cast magic.  Of course members of non-human races might get a break if they can convince people they are clergy of their church (it's bad diplomacy to burn elven clergy at the stake if you want elven goods next spring and Ludremon trades with Ingrast).  GerikGnome never casts anything but shockbolt when others can see him, just because he knows human clerics can cast shock bolt (in RM of course).  I've told him that Gnome clergy often practice arcane type spells, but he still plays it safe.

My legendary first customer sends me game updates as he plays.  They had a very difficult battle in Felric's Redoubt because half the party were spell casters and none of them dared cast for fear of the Witch-Hunters.  GerikGnome, on the other hand would have used his Spell Trickery skill and shockbolted them into remembering the name of God.  (In fact, I think that's what he did in the playtest).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 06:19:14 AM by Defendi »
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com