Author Topic: Madness  (Read 2578 times)

Offline frnchqrtr

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Madness
« on: August 03, 2007, 02:14:17 PM »
Has anyone ever published official, or unofficial, rules dealing with madness?  I'm looking for something Lovecraftian and preferably RM2/C.  I developed something myself, but if there's anything already out there, then it's likely better than what I've cobbled together.

Maybe there's something in a Companion or a Guild Companion?
"If one would give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest man, I would find something in them to have him hanged." - Cardinal and Duc de Richelieu

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" - Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Re: Madness
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 02:17:15 PM »
At work, away from my books, but the Mentalism Companion, Creatures & Treasures 2, and Darkness of Mine (That last title right?) come to mind.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline frnchqrtr

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 02:28:30 PM »
Thanks LM, I'll see if I can pick up those titles.

I've seen mechanics here and there using RRs with failure resulting in insanity, but I'm looking for something a little more slow acting.  More of a slipping into madness rather than fail a roll and go nuts.
"If one would give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest man, I would find something in them to have him hanged." - Cardinal and Duc de Richelieu

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" - Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis

Offline Fenrhyl Wulfson

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 02:31:08 PM »
I believe it was "nightmares of mine"

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 03:17:41 PM »
that is correct, "nightmares of mine"
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 04:31:16 PM »
Gamemaster Law does touch on this topic under mental diseases.  A nice table to roll on with various mental illnesses listed.  I have used it before, though it requires some extrapolation on the GM's behalf.  Basically, disorders have degrees of severity, from minor cleptomania to extreme cleptomania, as an example.  Once, this table destroyed a PC after he suffered an extreme rr failure and then roled pedophilia.  He absolutely refused to even attempt playing it and wouldnt let me reroll, but rather made a new PC.  Admittedly, I wanted to go with necrophilia instead, but he didnt like that either.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Fenrhyl Wulfson

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 02:56:14 AM »
I do not like random tables for mental illnesses. It's just like you roll on a physisal disease table after crossing a cold river and obtain "small pox" has a result. It does not make any sense.

I rather like the mentalism companion approach for this matter. Disorders are linked to their causes. The downside is that it requires an actual ressource about nevrosis and psychosis in order to be played effectively.