Author Topic: No Stat Rolls?  (Read 1987 times)

Offline shnar

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
No Stat Rolls?
« on: August 01, 2007, 05:49:19 PM »
I've only just purchased RME and started perusing the manual, but almost right away I noticed that there are no Stat rolls, just assignments. I know this is a quick-n-dirty version of RM, but no Stat rolls? Kinda seems... um... non RM? I would agree that for a fast version of RM, no Potential Stats, but no Stat Rolls at all? That's part of half the fun of creating a character is rolling for stats :D

-shnar

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: No Stat Rolls?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 06:57:06 PM »
There was a specific purpose behind no doing stat rolls for RME. While rolling for stats may be fun, a number of folks also dislike that stats also influence DPs available. So, by giving static stats to assign, we could also control the number of DP, and thus make sure all the characters were equal in that regard, while still allowing for some flexibility.

Doing it this way also allowed us to avoid the entire issue of DPs based on stats. We did not have to explain how deriving DPs from stats worked and/or replace the core rules with an option. If you look at the stats given, you would end up with the same number of DP as we give (35).

Offline shnar

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: No Stat Rolls?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 07:26:24 PM »
I figured the DPs would add up to the assigned stats, it just shocked me that the flare of rolling dice for stats was taken out "for the greater good" ;)

But I understand removing the complexity of DPs to make everthing fit into such a tight, affordable book. I've been able to review the rest and it's pretty impressive for such a lofty goal. Reminds me of the game-that-shall-not-be-named, but still well done :)

-shnar