Author Topic: Question about Flying spell  (Read 132 times)

Offline alloowishus

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Question about Flying spell
« on: May 03, 2024, 09:09:38 PM »
The spell says that the target can fly up to xx ft/rnd. A "target" can be defined as an person or an object. The spell has a duration, if the caster casts on a willing person, is it the caster that controls the person flying or can they fly themselves?

Offline Elrich Maltah

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Question about Flying spell
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2024, 11:06:13 PM »
We always played it that the target is under their own power. Hopefully they took some ranks in Acrobatics to be able to control their maneuvers...

Offline rsarres

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2024, 08:21:15 AM »
I have never thought about the need of acrobatics for flying. Do you ask for acrobatics rolls on basic flying or only if the target is trying a complex maneuver when flying, like attacking?
I have always thought that basic magical flight is easily controllable.

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2024, 01:24:04 PM »
I have never thought about the need of acrobatics for flying. Do you ask for acrobatics rolls on basic flying or only if the target is trying a complex maneuver when flying, like attacking?
I have always thought that basic magical flight is easily controllable.
I would say basic magical flight (i.e. flying in a fairly straight line under decent conditions) requires a bit of practice, like learning to ride a bicycle. After all, you are moving by force of intent, not by muscle power.
On the other hand, flying in combat conditions would require a dedicated combat style. And flying in poor weather would certainly require some kind of manoeuver roll, and unless you have a Flying skill, Acrobatics is as good a candidate as any.

Offline alloowishus

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2024, 04:08:08 PM »
I use the similar skill rules from RMCII and I consider flying a 1/4 acrobatics ranks.

As for the effect, I usually say that a person can fly themselves, but the confusing part is a "target" can be an object. So what happens when cast on a chair? Does the caster control it or does it not do anything? It says in the spell "the same as levitate" but I would think levitating an object makes more sense than "flying" an object.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2024, 04:29:02 PM »
It would only work on an intelligent object. If you want to move something else under your control, that would be telekinesis.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.