Author Topic: Anyone run/play RME yet?  (Read 4001 times)

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Anyone run/play RME yet?
« on: July 10, 2007, 12:43:59 PM »
Just wondering if anyone's had the chance for a test run in the outside world yet?
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
    • ICE Roleplaying WebRing
Re: Anyone run/play RME yet?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 05:40:06 PM »
Apparently not ....
Brent Knorr...
Ringmaster:ICE Roleplaying Webring - http://www.icewebring.com

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
    • The Aecyr Grene Campaign Setting
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 07:16:23 PM »
I might convince Akrasia to run a campaign (assuming having me as a player doesn't put him off)

Otherwise, one of my other players intends running HARP SF ...

Can't say we don't support ICE !

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 07:32:53 PM »
I'm running a game of RMC, but I'm contemplating an RME game now. . .hmm.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 02:22:25 AM »
I'm still reading it...  My FtF players also look it over when we get together...

So far, we like it.  But haven't tested it yet.

We may do so next week and will let ya know.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline thiha

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Peace
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 05:46:14 AM »
     I've just launched a RME game, doing everything online.
     IMO, it keeps the essence of the RM in a smart manner, and still lite enough to be managed by a newbie GM like me. I really appreciate the "advent" of RME in such timely manner for me, coz it had been so annoying to adjust the choices/preferences among GM&PLs, and I really felt like drowned in the sea of Options :-\
     Furthermore, one of the players who I drafted ;D from a D&D community said, the RME's way of creating characters was well matched with the current prevailing styles such as point-buy system (i.e. fixed and averaged in total ability scores but still flexible and adjustable for each player).

The only thing still annoying for my group is....it's not written in our native tongue ;D

We are planning to switch to the RMC "Law" books after reaching 10th level in the future.

(The setting is Minddle-earth, in the late 3rd Age - early 4th Age, though. I hope someday, probably after the expiration date of the copyright, the large volumes of old ICE middle-earth modules will revive in the public again. It'll be definately more than the icing on the cake.....but decades later. )
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 12:26:42 PM by thiha, Reason: Correcting grammatical errors. Oops. I hate it. »

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 03:19:04 PM »
RME might work as a "Draw in the noobs" game on RPGRM or similar boards. . .how to work it though.

Offline Bubba Ho-Tep

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Kentucky Fried Gamers
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 03:48:22 PM »
I am going to run some of my Boy Scouts through it this weekend to see how the younger group can grasp it.  This will be my judge as to compare it to D&D.  My oldest son is almost 12 and has been playing D&D for several years with me, but there have been several boys ask me when I was going to runn again, so what better time that on an overnight campout.  I'll let you know how it goes.
Life is like a dogsled team, unless you are the lead dog, the view never changes.

Offline Bubba Ho-Tep

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Kentucky Fried Gamers
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 08:38:08 AM »
The game when very well.  They were aged from 11 to 14 and grasped ahold of the RME system very quickly and they all enjoyed it.  They kept asking me when they would run into some dragons, I just laughed. 
Life is like a dogsled team, unless you are the lead dog, the view never changes.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 09:39:16 AM »
heh. . ."In about 20 levels". . . .you could drop the wyvern or the cave drake on them sooner, especially if they have a chance to flee.

Offline Michael Petrea

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 02:03:09 PM »
I find one of my problems with converting players from d20 to RM is getting it through their heads that sometimes fleeing is the correct option.   :)  They are accustomed to the relatively safe combat and the balance-calculated encounter and they miss the hint that this encounter is for flavor and atmosphere and not everything exists for the party to kill.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 02:38:57 PM »
Yeah, I hear that. . .

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 05:22:57 PM »
Ok, so the party wont run...

Have a group of war trolls fall on them.  After three to five melee rounds they should be in HORRIBLE shape.   Thats when the dragon shows up and eats the trolls for lunch.  Out of the frying pan, the dragon gathers up our hapless heros and explains its child is being held by the now dead trolls masters, in a place to small for her bulk to get into.  having saved their miserable lives, she wants them to find her child and with a charm she will provide, free her kid (the charm will teleport the young dragon, but not the players..err...dont tell them that).  After they free the child, such a task will prove them worthy of reward beyond saving their necks (of course, the dragon doesnt think she will ever see them again).

Into the fire.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Bubba Ho-Tep

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Kentucky Fried Gamers
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 11:08:34 AM »
Good idea.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 02:48:14 AM »
Since I am now coming back.

FtF group like the RME.  ALL say good job.  Better than DnD.

I must say they are biased to DnD since that is all they played since 2000.  I introed them into RM about four months ago.  One gave me permission to use the below (copy & paste):

"Man.  DnD don't know anything about critcals.  A Broadsword does 1d8 hits with a ?2 for criticals.  That's only 2-16 points.  Hell, a broadsword in RM, that's a critical.  Doing a 16ES hit means a world of difference.  This meant I hit the monster once and it was dead.  Heck, my GM said I hit so well, I killed my opponent and moved on to the next.  In DnD, I'd've been lucky to hit my opponent for half his hit points.  I love Rolemaster.  Until my character gets killed.  Then again.  I'll still love it.  Realism is the bomb."

Not bad for a review...

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Balhirath

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2007, 04:36:21 PM »
That is by and large the same as my players are saying: Combat is deadly in RM, but in a fun way :)
I'm new here, but have played RM2 on and off for 20 years. :)