Author Topic: A Memory From Your Past  (Read 881 times)

Offline Frewfrux

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
A Memory From Your Past
« on: July 20, 2021, 06:32:57 PM »
The boney finger slowly reached under one of the lute’s taunt strings and tugged, but it did not let go.

“All of magic,” came the hoarse, low voice, “can be summed up in the act of plucking a string.” The finger tugged some more without releasing, but your gaze was fixed on the shallow, empty eyes. “All any Mage or Wizard ever does is find a particular strand of Essence,” the voice continued, “and pulls on it to create tension. The more they pull,” the long, thin arm lifted slightly as the pale hand pulled back the finger holding the string, “the greater the effect when they release.”

But the string was not released. You watched with an unblinking stare as the string was slowly let back down. “Do you know what else?” It was not meant as a question, and you did not take it as such.

In the pause you watched thin lips part and come together again as if working out what to say next. “What else indeed,” the mouth finally said. “What else is just this.” For the first time the eyes looked into your eyes and you realized that the whole universe was behind the emptiness that was there.

“It is that some whisper of rare, great abilities to pull on the essence of the universe, not releasing it but leaving it permanently altered.” There was slight sense of awe in the voice now, and the smell of death. Or, maybe of infinite life? “Don’t believe it. I tell you the truth, even the simplest of Alchemists do just that in every creation they make.”
Another pause.

“In every creation,” the finger rose up and pointed at you, “that you will make.”

“AURORA!!!” The call came from a different world, but it shattered the one you were just in and broke the spell.
“Aurora, where are you?!?!”

“Quick,” Aurora said in a panic as your childhood friend packed up her father’s magical lute and handed it to you. “Put this back where we found it while I stall him.”

Offline Frewfrux

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: A Memory From Your Past
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 06:35:20 PM »
Just a snippet from one of my character's backgrounds. Not sure why I posted it, other than she was an alchemist and I've been thinking of alchemy lately.

Offline Frewfrux

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 08:11:48 PM »
Looking over some posts in other parts of these forums, I think I should have posted this under Players Corner > General Discussion.

I can't seem to move it, though. Can a mod move this one for me? Thanks in advance. 😁

Offline Colin-ICE

• ICE Business
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 09:42:54 AM »
I think that has worked.

Let me know if not.

Colin