Author Topic: Gaze Attacks  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Syssiah

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Shadow World Addict
Gaze Attacks
« on: June 06, 2021, 08:53:49 AM »
Hello

How do you manage to use the Petrification gaze attack from Basilisk or Gorgonas ?
The Creature and Monster book doesn't present any method nor attack for that.

Thanks in advance

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
Re: Gaze Attacks
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 06:19:26 PM »
If you look at it, you make a resistance roll and apply the listed effect. It doesn't need to make an attack. It triggers upon sighting the creature. The description of the Gorgon provides some rulings on fighting the creature while attempting to not look at it.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Syssiah

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Shadow World Addict
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 10:15:20 AM »
Ok, thanks.

So it is assumed that any people looking at the basilisk triggers the petrification power, even if they look at it from a direction they couldn't normally see its eyes ? (oddly ?)

Offline chook

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 01:38:01 AM »
I don't know if there are any official rules but my first take is if you are in any of the three hex facings that constitute the front then you make a RR while the flank and rear don't have to make the RR.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 10:24:48 AM »
Looking at the creature descriptions, I think "gaze attack" is a bit of a misnomer. It's not a beam coming out of the creature's eyes (which you would probably just handle as a spell). It's the target seeing the creature. If a gaze is involved, it's the gaze of the victim, not the gaze of the creature.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline chook

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 10:08:57 PM »
Looking at the creature descriptions, I think "gaze attack" is a bit of a misnomer. It's not a beam coming out of the creature's eyes (which you would probably just handle as a spell). It's the target seeing the creature. If a gaze is involved, it's the gaze of the victim, not the gaze of the creature.
I agree with this.  I tend to think of it in the sense of ye olde Medusa where if the individual looks into Medusa's eyes they are petrified as opposed to Medusa firing eye beams.  The idea of using the three front hexes is really just some kind of mechanic that allows for there to be a bit of a way the players can try to deal with the situation within a set of defined boundaries, i.e. game rules.

You could also perhaps use the flank/rear attack bonus as a modifier to the RR because the creature would be moving its head however is more likely focusing on the people in front of it.