Author Topic: Director's Briefing - March 2021  (Read 1988 times)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Director's Briefing - March 2021
« on: March 07, 2021, 10:22:17 AM »
Welcome

To the one hundred-and-seventeenth Briefing and third scheduled Briefing of 2021. I hope that you and yours are staying well.

Website

The forums have now safely migrated to the “backup” site at www.ironcrown.co.uk, and appears to be working well.

HARP and HARP SF

Nick Morawitz has been beavering away on HARP Bestiary. It’s huge. Really, it’s huge. We are expecting it to be around 450 pages. It’s more animals, more monsters, more werecreatures, more dragons, more undead, more elementals, and more demons. Nick has undertaken a full first pass layout, I have undertaken a full check, and it is back with Nick for a second pass. Once we are happy, we will release it in pdf first, and then to print editions in the customary fashion.

All of the artwork and cartography for HARP Garden of Rain is now in the bag, so Joel is now working hard to complete HARP SF Poseidon Gambit.

Terry is still lost somewhere in HARP Subterfuge – but I am sure he will emerge.

Shadow World

Somewhere beyond the Subterfuge event horizon, Terry is still tinkering with mini-adventures.

RMU

Aaron Smalley and Jonathan Dale continue to work on Creature Law. Following on from updating the Elementals to be more consistent in their levels across the various types, there has been some reining in of Demons, extraplanar creatures and Undead for better alignment with creating, summoning and repelling spells. Aaron is back to checking descriptions match tables and talents.

Until next time

Please stay safe.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Director's Briefing - March 2021
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 10:35:40 AM »
Thanks for the update.

Any word on whether the DB-display issue in RMU Creature Law has been resolved? You mentioned it last briefing.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 10:41:01 AM »
I haven't seen what it actually looks like, but Aaron's intent is to break out ranks and bonus so you could determine the DB for whatever situation (e.g. passive, partial, or full block or dodge).
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Caom

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 12:17:50 PM »
I just wish I knew when RMU is coming out and how much has changed since beta2  ;D
I can't wait  :-\

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 03:08:20 PM »
I haven't seen what it actually looks like, but Aaron's intent is to break out ranks and bonus so you could determine the DB for whatever situation (e.g. passive, partial, or full block or dodge).

That would be helpful. Absolutely crucial though is being able to tell the passive skill ranks bonus from the other bonuses (e.g. item bonus for a shield), seeing as the passive ranks don't apply when you're flatfooted, and the passive ranks bonus from Running/Dodge does not apply vs. missile weapons. So anytime a character is flatfooted or facing missile attacks, we'll need to be able to strip out that passive ranks bonus to DB.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 10:36:13 AM »
Just had a thought: could the list of DBs include not just passive/partial/full but also Surprised/Flatfooted? Because we kind of also need to know or be able to figure out the Surprised/Flatfooted DB, since my Dragon might be caught unaware by the characters.

Flatfooted would be especially important, because it doesn't include the passive ranks bonus. Flatfooted characters 'cannot benefit from a shield' (as says ArmsandCharacterLaw, p. 113, 'Surprised or Flatfooted'), which I assume includes passive ranks bonuses. I am also assuming that this means flatfooted characters cannot benefit from passive Running/Dodge ranks (?). The Flatfooted DB then is essentially the core DB stripped of Quickness and any passive ranks in Dodging/Shield. So, if I had that information, I could perhaps infer (with some calculation) what an Ancient Red Dragon's DB was vs. Missile in normal circumstances: I would just add the Quickness bonus to the Flatfooted DB.