Author Topic: Dragons in MERP  (Read 2119 times)

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Dragons in MERP
« on: March 10, 2020, 08:02:06 PM »
Are there any MERP setting books or adventures which include drakes, dragons, or the like?
No pre-written adventure survives contact with the GM.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Re: Dragons in MERP
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 12:09:53 AM »
You just looking for stats?  Creatures of Middle Earth has them in it, but it's not really a setting book or adventure.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 05:06:27 AM »
You just looking for stats?  Creatures of Middle Earth has them in it, but it's not really a setting book or adventure.

No. I'm looking for locations and names.
No pre-written adventure survives contact with the GM.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 09:02:49 AM »
Empire of the Witch King has a description of Scorba the Worm (see p. 15).

I expect some other modules do too.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 11:56:52 AM »
The Grey Mountains has a bunch of dragons (including Smaug), probably your best bet. There are sand drakes in Harad (exactly which module, I'm not sure off-hand). IIRC, there are ash drakes in Gorgoroth.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 12:21:34 PM »
A sand drake is on the cover of Warlords of the Desert, set in Harad; that might be the one you're thinking of.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Aspire2Hope

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Rediscovering the Joys of MERP
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 02:08:32 PM »
There is one in The Phantom of the Northern Marches (marshes? can't remember the exact title) last adventure. I know because I left it as a doom/fate for one of the characters of one of my earliest players. Need to play that with the aged and retired version of the character at some point.

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 01:44:51 PM »
The Grey mountains has the most, it is pretty much all about dragons. In addition to the modules others have mentioned, there is a smaller, more cunning dragon in the dunland module.
There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away -
                                                   Emily Dickenson

Offline Curtis

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2022, 04:30:38 AM »
There is one in The Phantom of the Northern Marches (marshes? can't remember the exact title) last adventure. I know because I left it as a doom/fate for one of the characters of one of my earliest players. Need to play that with the aged and retired version of the character at some point.

Northern Marches — it's a faux-Arthurian adventure that our group had great fun with.  We got three groups together with 21 level 5-8 characters.  First they had to fight their way through a section of the underdeeps, encountering half a dozen drakes and wyrms in three groups to weaken them and use up much of their magic (I added that), then the dragon as the final encounter.  The only fatality was the giant (also from Phantom), but three of the PCs were badly enough permanently damaged to encourage them to plan their retirement… as soon as they deal with the 'lazy dragon' from the Dunland and Southern Misty Mountains module.

They're a level higher now, but six of the 7 highest level have crossed into Mirkwood and Rhovanian to pursue independent goals.  On the other hand, this time there's only one dragon to face… but he's expecting them, so.…

Good stuff here.