Author Topic: Will RMU get the Fantasy Grounds treatment?  (Read 3844 times)

Offline pantsorama

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Will RMU get the Fantasy Grounds treatment?
« on: October 02, 2019, 03:41:50 PM »
Any idea if RMU will find it's way into FG?

Offline daboking

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Will RMU get the Fantasy Grounds treatment?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 11:46:14 PM »
it needs to. i am an ultimate license holder and would love to play in this app

Offline Siltoneous

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 03:13:41 PM »
I know there is a plan to release a CoreRPG version of FG RMC client. It's a vast improvement over the old FG codeset client, with a number of improvements.  The grapevine has it that the client been tested against the FG Unity with players, and is working quite well.  CoreRPG has a lot of nice improvements, plus I'd suspect it will be a LOT easier to maintain and modify.  Once there,  I'd suspect it wouldn't be hard at all to migrate it over to RMU once it's ready.
"All right, move on! Nothing to see here! Please disperse!" Frank Drebin, Police Squad

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 04:00:08 PM »
In somewhat related news, there was recently a request for someone to build a Roll20 character sheet, with offer of payment for it:

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=19781.msg233427#msg233427
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Siltoneous

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 07:58:30 PM »
Very true, and a great point. Roll20's character sheets can be automated, and the system is quite popular, so I wish him the best with that. May take a bunch of prior official approvals, but one can hope.

On a related note, the FoundryVTT is coming along, and IIRC was scheduled to released this month.  I've seen the community built WFRP 4th character sheet on it, and was blown away by it's abilities.  Course looking at the thousands of lines of JS and HTML, I know why too. =D

Of course there the WFRP community (and many others) has much clearer guidelines for that kind of community provided content, without all the prior mother-may-I's.
"All right, move on! Nothing to see here! Please disperse!" Frank Drebin, Police Squad

Offline chook

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 04:38:30 AM »
I think that each of these systems has their pros and cons however the ultimate thing that rules out Roll20 for me is that it is a hosted solution and the information is stored outside of my local territory where other (i.e. US) laws apply.  This immediately makes it a big nope.

Support for Fantasy Grounds would be very good.  I am bewildered why ICE support the older version of Rolemaster instead of the current RMFRP.  It seems to be a common theme across the business which makes no sense from the outside.

Online jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 11:15:28 AM »
RMC is still a current product line. And in terms of support for different RM versions in VTTs, a lot of that has used the implementation for one edition as the basis for the other, rather than starting from scratch. On Roll20, the development is being driven by people outside ICE, so it's not an issue of ICE choosing to support one thing over another. I think that is also true for Fantasy Grounds, but not 100% certain.

Isn't Fantasy Grounds also a hosted solution? You could use something that isn't, like Maptools.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline chook

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 08:42:31 PM »
RMC is still a current product line. And in terms of support for different RM versions in VTTs, a lot of that has used the implementation for one edition as the basis for the other, rather than starting from scratch. On Roll20, the development is being driven by people outside ICE, so it's not an issue of ICE choosing to support one thing over another. I think that is also true for Fantasy Grounds, but not 100% certain.

Isn't Fantasy Grounds also a hosted solution? You could use something that isn't, like Maptools.
Ah, makes sense if it isn't ICE devoting the resources.  Private individuals can do whatever they choose :).

I thought Marc was an ICE employee and the fact he was offering USD1000 for the character sheet because ICE wanted it developed.  My bad.

There may be an option for FG to be hosted but I can buy a version, put it on my infrastructure and then use it that way without having any external parties (besides the players I invite) have access to it.

Offline Dakadin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 10:07:03 AM »
FG actually runs on your local computer and runs as the server.  With FGU there is a option to setup a cloud game but it is basically a proxy so the GM doesn't have to worry about setting up port forwarding for there game.

There isn't RMFRP for FG yet because I am one individual and building rulesets in FG takes quite a bit of time.   ;)

Offline Siltoneous

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2020, 10:40:25 AM »
Depends on how far up the chain you go to determine what 'hosted' is I guess.  You certainly pull down updates and purchased products from the FG servers. That said, you can run an entire FG game with no external internet access needed. Quite a few people do that to test functionality; i.e. I often fire up FG as the GM and start a campaign, then start FG again (in a second window) and join that campaign over the 'localhost' IP (non-public IP Space) address. I could have 10 machines on my local IP space, with no external connectivity and run a game. That said, maybe there is some kind of license check required at startup? But I'm even  unsure of that.

As far as local assets, they certainly are all stored locally in the various folders of the FG software. Thus, when I want to add a new map to a campaign (as Wolfshield shows so nicely in the recent Youtube video on FG and Maps) I simply drag it to that campaign's maps folder and it shows up. I fI want to add additional portraits or tokens, I can create (or download) them, and place them in the appropriate folder where all my purchased products are.

Online jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2020, 10:47:50 AM »
Thanks for clarifying that.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster