Author Topic: How long to.....  (Read 3833 times)

Offline gog

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: How long to.....
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2019, 12:24:13 PM »
School of Hard Knocks suggests under the Awareness Skills that it takes 1 round for every 10'x10' to be examined to find a small object (p15), then it becomes a question of the difficulty and the factors effecting ( affect) it.
I think that's the tricky bit - a visual scan of the room for one round with no roll should reveal all the obvious. An easy level would reveal details not immediately obvious eg contents of a pile of clothes. Some things though you need more than visual clues. It took me 5 mins to find a missing piece of paper in a pile of documents the other day that involved looking through the and handling the objects. What if there was a trap under them? Would I visually see the trigger or part of the mechanism? How about if I felt under the table? Maybe for looking only it would take me a good 5 mins to spot it but using my hand about a minute. 

So you can see I'm trying to generate a set of mechanics to guide decisions about how long it takes to find anything. Of course, you can stare at your 10x10 bit of corridor to the cows come home but you still won't spot the trap until you feel that false stone under your foot :)

The above bit from SOHK covers all the awareness categories in RMSS & RMFRP, so is using all the senses. Thus using the Static Maneuver Table SM-7.7 (Awareness-Searching Category) or SM-7.6 (Awareness-Perecptions Category) or even SM-7.8 (Awareness-Senses Category) you have the mechanics of what is found, against the difficulty level already set (this can be set using the detection difficulty rules already mentioned from Castles & Ruins).

Not sure what beyond this you are trying to get at.

Offline Aspire2Hope

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Rediscovering the Joys of MERP
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2019, 02:20:02 PM »
Sorry, Gog I was being dense and thinking "School of Hard Knocks" as in real life, not a Rolemaster product. Ordering now sounds like it might be the source of the last bits of the puzzle.

Offline gog

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2019, 05:25:50 AM »
Sorry, Gog I was being dense and thinking "School of Hard Knocks" as in real life, not a Rolemaster product. Ordering now sounds like it might be the source of the last bits of the puzzle.

That's fine, SoHK is a very good resource book, and I think might do what you need.