Author Topic: Steampunk Fiction?  (Read 1660 times)

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
Steampunk Fiction?
« on: January 09, 2015, 01:21:17 PM »
Can anyone recommend any good steampunk fiction? It looks to be a genre I have very little of (maybe none).
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Steampunk Fiction?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 01:42:41 PM »
The Difference Engine https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Difference_Engine is maybe the classic. I read it quite a while ago but remember enjoying it. Gibson and Sterling, what's not to like?

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20021104 is fun if ridiculous and possibly not what you were looking for. :)
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 02:29:06 PM »
Depends on what kind of steampunk you want.

I just started some GD Falksen's books so can't comment on them yet.

I've tried The Boneshaker and its first sequel by Cherie Priest and found them to be a bit lacking myself. 

I've just finished the 4th book of Paul Kidd's The Effecuators series.  It is pulpy and you can practically hear the dice rolling and the GM saying "Your doing WHAT??!" with the series but I did enjoy them anyway.  The Effectuators starts off pretty decent horror and by the end of the 4th book is more pulp action.  I think they are only available on Kindle right now though.

Jim Butcher is working on a steampunk book that I have some hope for, but is not out yet.

My wife got me the two Abney Park books for Christmas, but I haven't even cracked them yet to comment on their actual quality.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Pyrotech
-Pyrotech

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 02:49:07 PM »
The Difference Engine https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Difference_Engine is maybe the classic. I read it quite a while ago but remember enjoying it. Gibson and Sterling, what's not to like?

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20021104 is fun if ridiculous and possibly not what you were looking for. :)

Okay, not quite none (I wasn't sure) I do have The Difference Engine. Comics - not really. I find they tend to be lacking in the number of words.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 02:50:01 PM »
Depends on what kind of steampunk you want.

I just started some GD Falksen's books so can't comment on them yet.

I've tried The Boneshaker and its first sequel by Cherie Priest and found them to be a bit lacking myself. 

I've just finished the 4th book of Paul Kidd's The Effecuators series.  It is pulpy and you can practically hear the dice rolling and the GM saying "Your doing WHAT??!" with the series but I did enjoy them anyway.  The Effectuators starts off pretty decent horror and by the end of the 4th book is more pulp action.  I think they are only available on Kindle right now though.

Jim Butcher is working on a steampunk book that I have some hope for, but is not out yet.

My wife got me the two Abney Park books for Christmas, but I haven't even cracked them yet to comment on their actual quality.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Pyrotech

I'll take a look at those, thanks. I forgot that Jim Butcher was working on something - I need to get Skin Game.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 12:05:20 AM »
Find Cherie Priest's books...

Maplecroft, Roc Books 2014
Fiddlehead, Tor Books 2013
The Inexplicables, Tor Books 2012
Ganymede, Tor Books 2011
Dreadnought, Tor Books 2010
Clementine, Subterranean Press 2010
Boneshaker, Tor Books 2009
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Alwyn

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 09:48:12 AM »
Try Mike Resneck's The Doctor and the Rough Rider, as well as The Buntline Special and The Doctor and the Kid.  These are more along the lines of "weird west" stories, but they are steampunkish.
Alwyn Erendil
Warden of the High Forest
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

Don't worry, be HARPy!

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 03:51:44 PM »
If you want a quick, easy, fun read... reminiscent of the TV show Firefly and the movie Treasure Planet (to me at least), you can try  The Nephele Ship - It's part of a trilogy.  (by Luke Shephard)
The nice thing is that the first book is FREE!  At least on ibooks and kindle.  The other two are inexpensive.
I enjoyed them all.  They aren't great works of literature, but they are fun and quick reads.

Give it a try, it's quick and easy and fun...
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com