Author Topic: When do i pull my sword??  (Read 7028 times)

Offline MikeG

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +10/-10
Re: When do i pull my sword??
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 12:25:11 PM »
I want to thank john and colin for their support and response in this matter. 8)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 03:19:16 PM »
I would like to see to what extent RM fans are willing to do this just as the Exalted fans were willing to.
Personally, they would likely get 300-500 USD from me for a kickstarter of RMU - assuming there are fun nuggets, of coures. For example, I just pledged $110 to the Chill 3rd Edition kickstarter and get to name a field agent, and some other stuff. Neat. (I am going to actually use an RM BlackOps character I made around 15 years ago that I barely got to play as said field agent.)

If it came on a month where I get 3 paychecks, I might go all the way to $1000.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Jaeru

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2014, 07:53:52 AM »
Ok, I'm going to give this one final go with a nice example:

Vampire 20th anniversary edition: $190k, 1,400 backers. This just screams RMU in terms of what I believe would be achievable! It has a very detailed step plan and details some pitfalls etc. it also mentions playtesting etc. Everything RMU is also going thourgh https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/deluxe-v20-dark-ages?ref=category

Offline John @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2014, 08:04:08 AM »
Jaeru:

I'm actually quite angry with you know as you have opened up a Pandora's box we thought we had closed!  ;)

So lots of emails of debate going around exploring the idea again.  No conclusions yet...
Heavy is the head that wears the Iron Crown

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2014, 08:52:50 AM »
While I've never contributed to any Kickstarter campaign in the past, this is one that I would definitely contribute to if it resulted in copies of the finished books as a reward (if the rewards are appropriate for the funds contributed, which I suspect would be the case) if it would help the process of getting them published.  And as previously stated I know of a couple of gaming stores that would likely contribute towards being able to get a small supply of the books to sell in their stores (similar to what was offered in the vampire KS mentioned above by Jaeru). 

In fact, I suspect that most of the play-test group that I run RMU with would contribute to get copies as well (nearly all of them are regular contributors to Kickstarter campaigns for other games).
Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline Colin-ICE

• ICE Business
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2014, 08:58:18 AM »
I am somewhat addicted to backing things but having been in numerous discussions with the team here at ICE, it is VERY different on the other side of the table.

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2014, 09:19:56 AM »
I am somewhat addicted to backing things but having been in numerous discussions with the team here at ICE, it is VERY different on the other side of the table.

Yup.  A lot of planning and needing to pull together pricing and setting rewards such that they are reasonable enough to attract contributions, but yet also to more than cover the costs involved (and it is difficult to include and account for all the costs that will occur).  With a business background and helping some friends get a company set up to publish some games that they have ideas for.  The first one is a card-game that we are working on and that we plan to launch through Kickstarter, I'm seeing first hand what is involved, especially since I'm handling the business end of things due to my business background (have owned/operated/managed several small businesses on the side in addition to my "day job", due to having both a business and engineering education).  Plus all the risks and legal requirements that go along with such a project.  It can certainly be a lot of work getting something organized on Kickstarter.  I had hoped to attend one of several Kickstarter presentations at GenCon last year, but wasn't able to make it to any of them.  If I'm able to go to GenCon2015 I'm definitely planing to attend a couple of them. 
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline Jaeru

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2014, 10:39:41 AM »
Jaeru:

I'm actually quite angry with you know as you have opened up a Pandora's box we thought we had closed!  ;)

So lots of emails of debate going around exploring the idea again.  No conclusions yet...

Well I aim to please  ;)

In any case I can imagine that the biggest argument against is the amount of planning and work involved such as Wolfhound indicates and on top of that actual delivery of the end product, which will at least entail hiring and managing freelancers and third parties, etc. That with everyone at ICE working part time (if I'm not mistaken) is quite a challenge.

Well in any case I'm interested in the outcome of your internal discussions.

If you guys need help and its opportune feel free to drop me a line.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2014, 04:40:13 AM »
I've seen some of the budgeting plans on Kickstarters that tell you where all the money is going to and it looks like Kickstarter fees and taxes eat up almost 25%... which seems really high to me.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2014, 10:16:20 AM »
Their fees are something like 10% if I remember correctly, and it has to count as "income" from a tax standpoint for anything that is more than the expenses that are being covered by the funding, thus the higher the amount raised, the higher the portion that needs to go to cover those "income taxes" is.  So it could easily be a much higher percentage if the funding is overwhelmingly successful.  At least that is the case here in the U.S., but with Guild Companion Publishing being based out of the U.K., I'm not sure how that will affect the tax status of those funds for them, or what can be included as an "expense" from a cost basis standpoint. 

update/correction: their fees are 5% and then there is a 3-5% fee for payment processing via Amazon Payments, so it does work out to about 10% before taxes are figured in.  Then income taxes, which will greatly depend on the country (and possibly state and local income taxes or similar locality taxes in other countries) could eat up anywhere from 15% to 40% here in the U.S.  but not sure what they are in the U.K., but I would assume they are similar since they also have a very large and bureaucratic government (may be even worse there, I'm not sure).