Author Topic: "Best" Urban Adventures  (Read 2833 times)

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
"Best" Urban Adventures
« on: October 05, 2014, 11:54:49 AM »
I'd like recommendations for good urban adventures, of the intrigue/spy/investigative/detective sort, rather than the more physical/dungeon type. Any genre (although a preference towards fantasy), any system.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: "Best" Urban Adventures
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 12:09:21 PM »
You may also want to send Terry Amthor a PM asking him what Shadow World adventure might fit your question as he may not see your request in this section.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 03:52:03 PM »
If you want to try one with a mix of detective and religious/cult activity in an urban environment...
Try the Freeport Trilogy- Death, Terror and Madness in Freeport from Green Ronin

Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 11:41:03 PM »
Find the copy of Dungeon Magazine (issue #111 I think) that had an article called "Death of an Archmage" and re-tool it for Rolemaster.

Put shortly, it's a murder mystery.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 01:11:35 AM »
Eidolon, a Shadow World module provides a city and some excellent settings for politics, gangs, crime and romance.  The canals are great for smugglers and the like.

Tharbad City of Thieves was a great city setting in northern Arnor.  It too has a river/canal.

Umbar is another great city setting, also in middle earth.  The six lords that run the city are particularly good for intrigue and danger.  Politics and romance too.  A river and the sea here.  Water is always great for adventure.

Romance.  Love interest have families.  A black sheep of the family could be a highway man, a conman, a gang member, a smuggler and many other possible adventure hooks.  Of course some may be merchants or doctors or some other nice advantage the party can use.  Love interest can be defended.  They can also betray.

Rival business and Political factions.  All will have their own goons and some may hire criminals or have underworld contacts.

Organized crime and gangs.  A must.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 08:50:39 AM »
Look for the old Warhammer stuff. You'll need to change the focus away from Chaos, but the whole "Enemy Within" (if memory serves that's the campaign name, but I could be wrong) campaign has a strong urban focus.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 10:26:50 AM »
If you want to try one with a mix of detective and religious/cult activity in an urban environment...
Try the Freeport Trilogy- Death, Terror and Madness in Freeport from Green Ronin

I've come across those whilst looking at various cities. Hadn't really looked further at them.

Find the copy of Dungeon Magazine (issue #111 I think) that had an article called "Death of an Archmage" and re-tool it for Rolemaster.

Put shortly, it's a murder mystery.

Looks like I've got a copy of that, so I'll take a look at it thanks.

Eidolon, a Shadow World module provides a city and some excellent settings for politics, gangs, crime and romance.  The canals are great for smugglers and the like.

Tharbad City of Thieves was a great city setting in northern Arnor.  It too has a river/canal.

Umbar is another great city setting, also in middle earth.  The six lords that run the city are particularly good for intrigue and danger.  Politics and romance too.  A river and the sea here.  Water is always great for adventure.

Romance.  Love interest have families.  A black sheep of the family could be a highway man, a conman, a gang member, a smuggler and many other possible adventure hooks.  Of course some may be merchants or doctors or some other nice advantage the party can use.  Love interest can be defended.  They can also betray.

Rival business and Political factions.  All will have their own goons and some may hire criminals or have underworld contacts.

Organized crime and gangs.  A must.

I've got Eidolon, but I'm really waiting for the updated version. Got the other two, but haven't read them, so I'll take a look.

Look for the old Warhammer stuff. You'll need to change the focus away from Chaos, but the whole "Enemy Within" (if memory serves that's the campaign name, but I could be wrong) campaign has a strong urban focus.

It does, especially the Warhammer City book which combined Middenheim with Power Behind the Throne, which I recently reread.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 05:46:27 AM »
 I think some of the L5R adventures fall into this category  as most of the modules I have played in are spy/thriller/political in nature.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 07:54:24 AM »
I think some of the L5R adventures fall into this category  as most of the modules I have played in are spy/thriller/political in nature.
MDC

Had to look that up, because I didn't know what it meant. I did buy the City of Lies box set from RPGNow a bit ago, but I haven't read it as yet.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 12:42:43 PM »
Sorry about that I should have written it out. :)
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.