Author Topic: Cards Against Humanity.  (Read 1351 times)

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Cards Against Humanity.
« on: May 25, 2014, 02:36:27 AM »
Wow.  If you've read the reviews of this game you've seen lots of warnings about it not being for the easily offended.  I think it might not even be for the somewhat easily offended.  We just played this game for about and hour.  Basically this is Apples to Apples but horribly, no holds barred, un-PC.  Horribly.  Nothing is off limits.  You need to be able to see some level of humor in the most awful topics (i.e. like how Firemen will sometimes joke about things that would seem terribly insensitive to be able to deal with some of the awful things they occasionally have to deal with).

Naturally our group found it freaking hilarious most the time.  Course, most of us have known each other for decades, so it's a little easy to resort to a Jr High mentality at times (since many of us knew each other that far back).  A few rounds had us laughing so hard we'd have to pause the game and had the most reserved of our group crying (out of hilarity) and saying "I just can't put this card down... but I have to... no, I can't do it..." then shaking his head as he did, indeed, put it down.

In all seriousness I'd recommend downloading the free copy of the game to be sure it's appropriate to play with any groups of people you might possibly plan to.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Cards Against Humanity.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 07:53:41 AM »
Do you have a link?
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 12:50:18 PM »
You can download it for free right off their own website...

http://cardsagainsthumanity.com/
- Cory Magel

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 01:01:07 PM »
I found that game a couple of years ago and think it is hilarious. Got a set for my sister's birthday and she says they played it and couldn't stop laughing. I think it is best played while drinking a bit...
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline BeggarKing (Thomas)

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +40/-40
    • Wandering Monster Studios
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 05:55:20 PM »
Have played this several times but my favorite session was at a bachelor party (were we took advantage of the blanks/custom cards). Its hilarious by being incredibly inappropriate - not for the prude or squeamish, but otherwise you'll find yourself laughing harder than you ever have before at a card game.
Adventurer walks into a bar with Flint and Steel. Bartender says, "Don't start anything."

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 07:50:32 PM »
I think our best combo so far has been...

Question: "But, before I kill you Mr. Bond, I must show you..."
Answer: "A bleached a**hole."

The reviews on Amazon by the people who don't like it are amusing.  But it does tell people they should look into it a little deeper if they are offended by, well, anything really.
- Cory Magel

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 09:30:16 PM »
It's quite popular with my friends and has been for a while. I hope they get over it soon. Shock humor gets old.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 10:58:15 PM »
Yes, it's not something you want to play at every get together.  Or every other.  Maybe a couple times a year.  Like I eluded to up top also, if you are offended by anything to the point that it would ruin the game for you, it will likely eventually hit a nerve.

We did a smattering of board games recently.  Some of us had played some of the games, but we did Catan, Small World, Carcassonne, Say Anything, and Cards Against Humanity this last weekend (holiday, friend was up from Cali, etc).

I have to admit Catan played better than I was expecting.  I think mixing up the board and getting one or two expansions will increase it's re-playability however.
I've always liked Carcassonne because it's really very simple at it's core and is almost entirely strategy based (very little luck involved if you play well) and is a good 'calm' thinking game.
Small World was fairly good, not earth shattering by any means, but I like the limit on the number of rounds as it keeps the game from going too long.
Say Anything is good, but there are some slight possible advantages if you have some people that know each other very well when others don't. (Which means it's good for our group - most of us go back at least 15 years or so).
- Cory Magel