Author Topic: ERA for Rolemaster - Creating characters and managing adventures  (Read 89427 times)

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
Re: ERA for Rolemaster - Creating characters and managing adventures
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2014, 05:30:14 AM »
I mean no offense, really, but could you pack the file on some website that reveals who you are and gives this random stranger' .exe some kind of authenticity?

I' rather not execute a random .exe on my PC without knowing anything about the author...

While it would be good for him to set something like that up (and while I understand that don't have any reason to trust anyone else in particular present on the forums since you are a somewhat new member here from the looks of things, unless you have had another ID in the past), he and this program are trustworthy.  I can assure you that I was one of the early beta testers (before it was made publicly available here) and that it is safe (at least the last several versions of it was).  I just downloaded the newest verson of it and my Norton installation did a check of it and says that it is safe (as it always does by default with any executable program I ever download). 
Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2014, 06:50:45 AM »
So, I can trust a random guy on the Internet, because some other random guy on the Internet sais so?  ;D (Oky, you're obviously not that random, but you get my meaning? ^^ )

Of course, there is a number of reasons why this program should be legitimate, but some antivirus program claiming so isn't one. They only can check what they know.

If I  see this correctly, the .exe is a self-extracting packed file... maybe a non-packed version with source code might be another option? That would be awesome. ^^

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2014, 06:53:47 AM »
But I'm a "trustworthy" random guy.  :o
Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2014, 07:44:18 AM »
And what's your qualification in determining whether your PC has become part of a botnet?  ;D

Let's not drive this too far, I just wanted to state that simple request.  :)

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2014, 07:54:38 AM »
As mentioned,  the executable file I offer for download is just a self-extracting RAR file. You can extract it manually if you prefer. Inside you will find a readme and a sources document specifying the licenses and third-party software used.
To start the server you still need to execute the "ERA-Server" file, but that is again just a shortcut to access a Pharo application.

I understand you are joking about the "botnet", but in any case I'll take the opportunity to repeat that ERA is a self-contained application. It does not require an Internet connection to work.

Contact me by PM if you want more technical details, I'd rather leave the thread free of tech jargon to focus on bug report and feature request.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2014, 07:47:30 AM »
ERA is now available on Mac and Linux!
Get the latest versions at:
http://goo.gl/NTMqH9 [Windows]
http://goo.gl/cq3wSL [Mac]
http://goo.gl/K7sDN8 [Linux]

The Linux version requires 32 bit libraries. So if you have a 64 bit Linux, you might need to download ia32-libs or an equivalent package (In Ubuntu, for example, this means running "apt-get install ia32-libs").

Also, this version adds improved Firefox support. All of the glitches mentioned in this thread should be fixed now. Please let me know if it works for you.

On the feature side, the maneuver window has an optional filter to show only developed skills.
There are other smaller changes that will have more visibility in future versions, so I'll wait until then to explain them.

Share your thoughts and experience, I'd like to know if it working ok in different versions of Linux and Mac.
Any other suggestions, questions, and feature requests are welcome as well.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2014, 07:35:15 AM »
After some RMC adventures with a new group, I present you with an updated version of ERA.
Aside from some general improvements, you will find now a new module to help when the party goes searching for herbs (click the Foraging button in the adventure options to access it).
The most important change, however, is a redesigned initiative interface, that allows action declarations considering the extended RMC sequence.
Remember, you can now start the ERA server on Windows, Mac and Linux.
Get it here:
http://goo.gl/NTMqH9 [Windows]
http://goo.gl/cq3wSL [Mac]
http://goo.gl/K7sDN8 [Linux]

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2014, 02:01:11 PM »
So I downloaded the version for windows from post #25 and I have the following problems:

1. All I have for races are Common Man and Wood Elf.
2. All I have for professions are Magician and Fighter.
3. None of the Body Development or Power Point Development numbers come in (or any of the RR mods).
4. I go to "Assign Stats" and no numbers show up so I don't know what to do there.
5. I have only 3 Background Options: Great Strength, Infravision, & Neutral odor.

Basically, I have just begun watching the "Character Creation" video on YouTube and it seems as though I am missing a lot of stuff for the program, even though I downloaded the most recent version (I believe).
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2014, 04:39:23 PM »
Thanks for your feedback, let's see if I can address all your concerns.

#1, #2 and #5: There are indeed some limitations between what you see in the videos and the download. This is because the configuration files are limited to a sample of what I have created so far. I am certain this is explained earlier in the thread. Because of IP issues, ICE has allowed me to offer the software for free, but the specifics (profession costs, spell descriptions, weapon tables, etc.) that are missing should be offered as a package to be purchased, just like Minion combat tables. It is my understanding that as soon as Nicholas has the time, he will coordinate for the files to be offered for purchase (there should not be much of a delay, since I have already prepared the files for all RMC professions, critical tables, lots of spells and weapons, and more). Also, eventually the RMFRP files could be offered as well, the system can adapt the ruleset when it starts.

#3: Body and Power Point Development are ignored when the ruleset is RMC, which is the default. If you are interested in sample files for RMFRP, let us know and we could ask ICE for permission to offer some sample files. I currently manage 2 campaigns, one uses RMC and the other RMFRP+House Rules. Both are completely handled using ERA.

#4: After rolling for stats don't forget to click on the arrows that indicate your choice. After rolling temporaries there are 3 arrows. They relate to the choice of selecting the lower roll and assigning it to a prime stat (thus raising it to 90). If you are not sure, just select "Keep All". Then after rolling potentials there is only one arrow to choose the set. If done right you should see the selected stats in the assign stats step. They can be dragged with the mouse to the chosen stat.
Let me know if that explanation is clear, I know the interface is a little confusing until you get the hang of it.

Did I miss anything?

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2014, 12:34:55 PM »
Thanks, I figured out the "assign stats" part about 10-minutes after sending the message (of course). But, are you saying that until they OK it and offer them for sale that the only two races will be common man and wood elf and the only 2 professions will be fighter and magician? (The same question for the talents.) When (if) that finally happens, I hope you send information on how to "break the rules" of the program, because I am just a rule-breaker; I like to use house-rules even for character creation.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2014, 08:42:46 PM »
I am both eager and frightened to know what you mean with "break the rules" of the program.
The version you downloaded contains configuration files that use a human readable format to determine a lot of the things that go on behind the scenes.
I would prefer to leave the technical jargon out of this thread, but feel free to contact me by PM and I will gladly explain further.

Offline Broedet

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2014, 09:12:21 AM »
Any news on this?
Very interested here...

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2014, 11:29:40 AM »
Actually, there are some small news I forgot to mention.
I uploaded a new version of ERA last week, that you can access from the same links.
I think apart from some minor bugs fixes, the only new feature is that the RMC ruleset allows for the stat gain process.
This means that once you click on "level up" in the character module, you will be asked for dice rolls for each stat, and the official stat gains table from RMC is applied, adjusting the new temporaries for the character. And of course, the DP are adjusted as well.
My next feature in development is a setting to configure a percentage of extra development points for the secondary skills.
Stay tuned!

Offline Haxxx5

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2014, 11:18:09 AM »
The link says it infected with virus and not allowing me to download it.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2014, 01:21:17 PM »
It seems Google has decided to change their detection algorithms or something, because those links were working before.
Apparently WinRAR's Self Extract feature is now considered a threat.
So, just in case, I've uploaded a different version for the ERA Windows server. This is not a self-extract but a normal zip file.
Download from here
http://goo.gl/fQtpOu [Windows]
Then extract manually to your desired location.
Please let me know if there are any further issues with the installation.
And thanks for the warning!

Offline Haxxx5

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2014, 01:25:30 PM »
That's working. Thanks!  :D
It was only the windows download that was broken weirdly enough.

Offline Haxxx5

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2014, 01:27:55 PM »
Found that answer as well.

Real question. In the stat rolls there are numbers besides the arrows? Do those reference anything in particular or are those for the program to work properly?

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2014, 01:58:46 PM »
Oh... those arrows... I will have to do something soon to make their function more obvious.
You might get a better idea watching this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tr1FpH7sN2A#t=147

What the arrows do is allow for the ideas mentioned in Page 24 of RMC Character Law:
"... a character is guaranteed a value of at least 90 in each of their prime requisites. Any temporary stat assigned to your character’s “Prime Requisites” may be replaced with a value of 90 – please note that this does not alter the “potential roll” associated with the temporary stat. Thus, it is often a good idea to assign the lowest temporary stats rolled to the prime requisites of the profession planned for the character..."

The first arrow is the "Keep all" option. Meaning you choose that roll set and leave them as they appeared, then continue to roll for potentials.
The second arrow ("Raise lowest") will choose the roll set, but will change the lowest roll and change it to 90, and will use the corresponding column when rolling for its potential. BUT it will be listed between square brackets. Then, when you move to the next step (Assign Stats) that roll will only be allowed in one of the character's prime stats (it will show in red and be ignored if you do otherwise).
The last arrow ("Raise 2") will do the same but for the 2 lowest rolls, allowing both prime stats to start at 90.

There is another arrow, next to each potential roll set. That is used to choose which roll set will be selected for the next step.

All of this is because a GM might allow more that one temporary roll per player, before moving on to rolling for potentials. And they might also allow, once the temporaries are chosen, to roll for potentials more than once.

Got all that?

Offline Haxxx5

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2014, 02:04:30 PM »
The arrors functionality I got, what do the actual numbers (561,612,660) reference?

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2014, 02:09:00 PM »
That's the sum of the rolls. For the temporaries in the first section, and for the potentials in the lower one.
It's meant to help players compare different rolls sets.
It was basically what my players were always doing after rolling, so I thought I might just as well do it for them in the application.
Also, the completed roll sets are presented in increasing order (again to help comparisons), but ERA remembers the order in which they were rolled, and considers it when rolling the potentials.