Author Topic: Character Names  (Read 1183 times)

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Character Names
« on: May 01, 2013, 02:48:55 PM »
I really suck at naming NPC's.  Here is a list of ten thousand plus character names for a buck and a half:

RPG Now
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Character Names
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 03:08:49 PM »
I tend to use http://www.behindthename.com/ and http://surnames.behindthename.com/ which are free.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 06:10:27 AM »
I tend to just come up with bad puns and obscure literary references. A male fighter who uses 2 swords will be named Johnny Rebeck, a female of the same type will be Julie Ann Fryes, that kind of thing.

I had an NPC needing a name recently, he was the sole survivor of an orc attack. I called him Bairleigh Conchas.

Because of its accretions from other languages, English tends to have a lot of spellings available to express a particular sound, so English is a good language for this.

It's also a mild but ongoing distraction to the players, which is a good thing for a GM trying to play monsters that are smarter than he is.  :o
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 11:17:14 AM »
Check this one out too...
http://ebon.pyorre.net/
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 07:51:47 AM »
  I was watching a sow on D-Day last night and a Sargent Harry Bear game an account. I do not know if I would let a player of mine use that name, unless they had a good story I approved of.

I can just see it, Humm Sargent Bear, H; yes sir, Sargent Harry Bear reporting for duty. Sir. Officer; what did you just say your name was Sargent?
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 08:57:34 AM »
<======== Use a bad pun for a Character name. me?  ;)

(Name of my 1st Gnome Jester)

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 10:05:33 AM »
For fantasy, I tend to name based on my game, which has some language rules for specific cultures (along with naming conventions). I find that it helps ground my NPCs and players in their specific cultures and helps with the whole experience.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 01:00:54 PM »
In many ways I can't avoid punny names because of the nature of my playing group. Most of them have been SCA Heralds at one time or another.

Heralds don't pun, they cant.

::)
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula