Author Topic: Reasonable size limit on figures  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Reasonable size limit on figures
« on: March 06, 2013, 03:32:05 PM »
I'm looking into options for figures and miniatures for a ReBoot/Wreck-It Ralph cross over I'm going to run at a convention later this year. There are some problems I have run into: Irwin Toys apparently never made a figure of Mouse (I guess whoever plays Mouse gets to use my Hexadecimal figure), I can't get Sgt Calhoun by herself without her being way too expensive ($99 starting price) and way too tall (17 inches), figures for AndrAIa and Matrix are either 6 or 9 inches tall. For WiR, I could get a Hero's Duty pack where the largest figures are 4" tall. I have some ideas for 35mm miniatures I could use for the characters: a Commander for Calhoun, a Grunt for Matrix, and a more-human-than-fish mermaid (if I can find one) for AndrAIa. Part of my concern about limiting size is so that I can still use my battlemap, but maybe I should just suck up the sizes and not use the map for this game.

Any suggestions? Thank you.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Reasonable size limit on figures
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 05:27:03 PM »
 How about just using pictures pasted onto card stock?
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 07:02:17 PM »
Pictures should be easy enough to get, and I have a tendency to like things a little more solid. Yet for another game, I merely wrote the characters names in Hiragana and English on 1" x 1" pieces of paper.

I also took a look at the Disposable Heroes line.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 08:50:09 PM »
I think metal miniatures is the way to go. Just need to figure a way to find them on very vague descriptions of what I need.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 03:52:39 AM »
We've always just had players go buy figures for their own characters.  Other than that there's a couple of us that have a fairly sizable collection of miniatures for enemies which can be more generic aside from running (re-occurring) enemies.

I have a bunch of magnetic stickers (you peel paper off the sticky side to affix it to something) that I'll be cutting into the figure base shapes and eventually getting a magnetic hex map to use with them... but that 'eventually' is probably a long ways off.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 11:22:49 AM »
I do have other things I can already use, and as this is a game I'll be running at a con, perhaps a paper name tag on various sizes of Looney Pyramids would work well. While I have found options for townsfolk miniatures, some of them aren't small enough for certain characters.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 12:42:03 PM »
I do have other things I can already use, and as this is a game I'll be running at a con, perhaps a paper name tag on various sizes of Looney Pyramids would work well. While I have found options for townsfolk miniatures, some of them aren't small enough for certain characters.

For Halflings you can always look for 15-20mm figures.  This is what I resorted to as I don't have the DnD/Tolkienesk stocky/pudgy halflings in my world (there are more like smaller humans with some differing features like the slightly pointed ears of an elf).
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 01:05:58 PM »
For Halflings you can always look for 15-20mm figures.

I did have this suggested for the children characters: Vanellope and Enzo.

Here are my vague descriptions for character needs
AndrAIa - woman with straight hair and trident
Calhoun - woman with big gun
Enzo - little boy
Felix - commoner with hammer?
Matrix - muscle man with gun
Mouse - woman with curly hair and katana
Ralph - heavily muscled man
Vanellope - little girl
#LotorAllura2024