Author Topic: Anyone going to GenCon?  (Read 1346 times)

Offline smug

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Anyone going to GenCon?
« on: January 31, 2012, 02:56:37 PM »
I assume there'll be no ICE/GC presence there? Will anyone from these boards be there (apart from me, I just sorted out by ticket and hotel)?

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
Re: Anyone going to GenCon?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 10:16:25 PM »
Smug -
Your assumption may be right, or may be wrong - we do not have a definitive answer at this time, however if you review the Aurigas Aldebaron Address you will see reference to a marketing position which may allow us to have an official ICE presence at the event.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline John @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 03:23:52 AM »
By the way - if anyone attending is interested in running ICE games, contact Thom. We have free prizes that can be shipped to you for giveaway and also something for you if you want to run a game.
Heavy is the head that wears the Iron Crown

Offline smug

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 09:23:27 AM »
I think I might be happy to run a game if I go in future years, but I'd want to scope things out first.

I am glad to hear that ICE GenCon activity is being considered, though, that's pretty cool.

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 06:50:48 PM »

My wife and I are going.

Regards,
Old Man
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 07:31:51 PM »
I've been to GenCon a few times (in Milwaukee).  I ran a multi-round tournament using RM many years ago and actually had some fun doing it.  I was worried it would be more work than it was.  Personally I'd recommend running your event after the merchant hall has closed.  There will be more people available to join your event and it will leave you with time to check out the merchant hall yourself and play in other events during the day yourself.

Put simply my event was a "no-rules" chariot race.  You picked from some pre-gen characters then selected your chariot (speed, light, med, heavy, war).  I wrote up some critical charts for chariot-to-chariot collisions.  There were two 1st Round races on Friday and Saturday and a final 2nd Round on Sunday.  I took the top three racers from each of the first rounds for the final.  You earned points for kills and placement.  Medals were 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Most Points and Most Spectacular Death.

I've been wanting to go again, but this year is almost surely out as my wedding is set for Aug 25th.

The only downside for GenCon is it pretty much ruins all other Cons for you.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 06:51:52 AM »
I wish, but wrong continent... and while the ticket and hotel prices might not be too bad, the flight is going to be pricey whatever I do, simply because I have to cross the Atlantic... but I want to go... as with SW Celebration, I want to go... but too pricey flights.
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff