Author Topic: Locating "Lost" Authors to Bring Back "Lost" Books  (Read 31083 times)

Offline Doridian

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Locating "Lost" Authors to Bring Back "Lost" Books
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2012, 08:24:01 AM »
LOL...  ;D

Thanks, just trying to help.
And i am quite good torturing google and other search engines. ;)

Btw:
Alessandro Canevese could be this guy here:
Games Owned By Year
Alessandro Canevese
(Coenedens)

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/profile.php?action=extstats&subaction=gamesownedbyyear&username=Coenedens
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/Coenedens

Last active in 2011 a PM might work there. :)

Yes I am! I've been wandering for a while here in the past but I've missed this last call. As well as someone else above, I can tell that I only contributed two small rules about martial arts to RMC4. So it would be fine for me to see them rereleased in PDF or print. And if you need anything more formal from me, just let me know.

Ciao
Alessandro

P.S.: at that time I used to write to Coleman Charlton true letters with a type writer and to send them through the mail office… Somewhere in the basement, I should also have his replies, hand written IIRC. It seems a century ago!  :o

Offline Doridian

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2012, 03:23:44 AM »
Gosh, I've realized only today that even if I received in mid August 2012 a private message in BGG pointing here, the post I've replied dates back to December 2011… I'm really sorry of not having been aware before of this call, but in the last years I've only given quick glimpses to the RMSS/RMFRP subsection of this forum. Please, accept my apologies.  :-[
Ciao
Ale

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2012, 02:27:22 PM »
No problemo, glad you found your way to this post.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2012, 03:23:46 PM »
I kinna edit the top post, can someone please cross off the found folks?

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2012, 08:28:24 AM »
With the revision almost done, is there still a need to hunt down authors of old materials to reprint?  Is this a quicker and economically superior model to writing new materials?  Finally, does releasing old RM2 materials support a new version, since presumably those materials would have to be altered and brought up to RMU speed (changes that may be significant enough to make them new materials)?

Just curious.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2012, 08:59:37 AM »
I think I have managed to put together a complete collection of all the non MERP ICE titles for myself, and I didn't allow myself to get heisted for it. . .replacing books that get rocked in use or lost, one came across some of the pirates of the internet age. . .if you caught some of the silly prices people were asking for some of these out of print books, you know what I mean.

So, from that perspective, revision or not, a part of me likes to see these books come back from legal limbo. Just because it's two versions old, doesn't mean you might not be happy to get your hands on a legal copy of Sea Law. . .and happy to be able to do so at a reasonable price. Some of my RM books, I either never use, or I used like one or two paragraphs from page 32, but I still like having them (and I may have used them more way back when).

On the other side, it irks me that there are books out there where nobody really has the legal rights to them and they sit in that limbo. It's kind of hard to complain about piracy when you don't make any effort to make your titles legally available. If you want Sea Law, and you can't buy it, you are forced to steal it, now it's available again, so you don't have to.

Working on the revision, and turning your back on previous versions and not bothering to try and fix this particular mess seems sort of like tooting your own horn while treating your parents and grandparents badly. How can you love Rolemaster enough to want to work on it, and kick dirt on these books without even trying some minimal effort to help them back out of Limbo?

To me at least, it has nothing to do with money or usable materials at this point, it's sort of like an ugly scar on the landscape, which I chose to walk out to and poke with my shovel every now and then, toss a handful of seeds, and walk home. . .it doesn't really seem like very much effort expended to me, but over a long period of time we have managed to find a lot of people, clear a lot of the wreckage and heal some of the damage done.

Does that make sense to you, in explaining my motivations?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2012, 09:48:09 AM »
With the revision almost done, is there still a need to hunt down authors of old materials to reprint?  Is this a quicker and economically superior model to writing new materials?  Finally, does releasing old RM2 materials support a new version, since presumably those materials would have to be altered and brought up to RMU speed (changes that may be significant enough to make them new materials)?

Just curious.

I Pm'ed Nicholas H.M. Caldwell and he should have an Official answer from The Guild Companion Publications.

For my answer I am with Marc R on this and would love to see the books come back in electronic form or/and POD. I also like looking at the old books for ideas or just to see what they were thinking about this or that.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2012, 10:00:39 AM »
I think I have managed to put together a complete collection of all the non MERP ICE titles for myself, and I didn't allow myself to get heisted for it. . .replacing books that get rocked in use or lost, one came across some of the pirates of the internet age. . .if you caught some of the silly prices people were asking for some of these out of print books, you know what I mean.

So, from that perspective, revision or not, a part of me likes to see these books come back from legal limbo. Just because it's two versions old, doesn't mean you might not be happy to get your hands on a legal copy of Sea Law. . .and happy to be able to do so at a reasonable price. Some of my RM books, I either never use, or I used like one or two paragraphs from page 32, but I still like having them (and I may have used them more way back when).

On the other side, it irks me that there are books out there where nobody really has the legal rights to them and they sit in that limbo. It's kind of hard to complain about piracy when you don't make any effort to make your titles legally available. If you want Sea Law, and you can't buy it, you are forced to steal it, now it's available again, so you don't have to.

Working on the revision, and turning your back on previous versions and not bothering to try and fix this particular mess seems sort of like tooting your own horn while treating your parents and grandparents badly. How can you love Rolemaster enough to want to work on it, and kick dirt on these books without even trying some minimal effort to help them back out of Limbo?

To me at least, it has nothing to do with money or usable materials at this point, it's sort of like an ugly scar on the landscape, which I chose to walk out to and poke with my shovel every now and then, toss a handful of seeds, and walk home. . .it doesn't really seem like very much effort expended to me, but over a long period of time we have managed to find a lot of people, clear a lot of the wreckage and heal some of the damage done.

Does that make sense to you, in explaining my motivations?

Yes, that does make sense.  I demand a tidy work station myself.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2012, 01:26:42 PM »
I consider that a very good example, since Sea Law is one of the few old, out of print RM books that I have never owned and want to.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline smug

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2012, 03:39:56 PM »
I have a complete collection (including the MERP stuff...) but I'd greatly like to see the old RM2 material brought out of IP purgatory. If it's not too expensive to convert them, I don't see the problem with maintaining the back catalogue for sale; WotC are making noises about doing something similar (years after their unpopular decision to pull the 1e stuff from electronic sale).

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2012, 08:34:13 AM »

Just curious.

For products where there is only one or two authors and where we have found a suitable scan, it means we can resolve the IP situation, the original authors can earn some cash and we gain their good will, and fans can get legal pdfs of old books, and it does not take too much of my time. For the mega-multi-author works, we may end up persuading those original authors to rewrite their material for RMU. It depends on how many folk are found.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2012, 08:46:58 AM »
I consider that a very good example, since Sea Law is one of the few old, out of print RM books that I have never owned and want to.

It's up there in PDF now. I might be able to hook you up with a print copy if that's what you're looking for.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2012, 10:56:25 AM »
With all the public beta related traffic, any of you people passing through after a long absence, or just joining the board, any of the people we're looking for per the top post of this thread? (If not, if you know them and can send them in the direction of this thread, that would be equally cool).

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2012, 12:20:56 PM »

Marc R,Maybe a locked topic at the top of each Beta Test section might help here. You might wan to contact Thom about it.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2012, 12:36:52 PM »
People keep clicking the "Check new threads" button, so our discussing this has now popped it to the top of the list twice.

Offline TeichDragon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2012, 12:53:20 PM »
I kinna edit the top post, can someone please cross off the found folks?

I second that... :)

Matt Esget -found
Randall K. - found
Alessandro Canevese - found
Mandy Merts - found

And I am sure I missed other authors. ;)
If someone can please update the first post in this thread, I'll check my google-fu if i can find more missing authors.

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2012, 02:13:05 PM »
I believe Nicholas and Thom are cross referencing people "possibly found" vs people actually gotten back into contact, and will update once that's clear.

Offline BonnTheBard

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2012, 12:29:13 PM »
Uhhhh, so I just decided to check the ICE forums again after quite some time and came across this post.  Wouldn't it be a kicker if I told you I'd been gaming with two of the guys on the list for several years up until last year, and they're both on my Facebook and I still keep in touch?  Well, it's true.  I actually first joined their group because one of them was starting up a RM Shadow World campaign.  I'll give them a heads up that they are officially considered "lost" LOL, and I'll have them contact you.  :)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2012, 03:34:34 PM »
BonnTheBard,
 Great other names off the list.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Angel13

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2012, 06:43:38 PM »
Hi, A friend just brought this to light to me.. I am Neitcha I Valor (formerly Bornander) from Arms Law