Author Topic: Quickdraw  (Read 1284 times)

Offline Carontir

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Quickdraw
« on: November 29, 2010, 08:56:02 PM »
Hello everyone,  :)

A couple of questions about Quickdraw (both the Combat Maneuver-skill and the Adrenal Quickdraw).

The skill description says: "If successful, the weapon is out of the scabbard...without the normal 20% activity required for drawing a weapon." It also says that "On a partial success, the character takes the the normal time (and penalty) to draw the weapon."

My questions are:

1. Does this still count as one of the three actions allowed in one round if successful?
2. If not how should this rounds actions be declared?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Quickdraw
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 10:04:06 PM »
Carontir,
 First welcome to the ICE Forums.

IMHO on your Adrenal QuickDraw you declare the draw during your declaration phase. If you succeed it takes no % action and does not take up one of you actions per round. But if you are only partially successful it takes 20% action and does count vs your 3 actions per round. It also counts as your 1 adrenal action per round (I think this is an official rule but cannot remember the book or page number right now.)
IMHO you should have the extra 20% probably go to your attack or subtracted from your attack.

Does that help?
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 06:52:18 AM »
IMHO, Quickdraw should still count as an action (what I may or may not have written in SoHK notwithstanding).  If you succeed, the cost is 1 action and 0% activity.  If you fail, the cost is 1 action and 20% activity.

If a successful Quickdraw does not count as an action, it can wreak havoc with the declaration phase.

Offline Carontir

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 03:32:16 AM »
First welcome to the ICE Forums.

Thank you!  :)

If a successful Quickdraw does not count as an action, it can wreak havoc with the declaration phase.

Yes it does...  :(
But if it does count as an action, it's really not that useful. Ok, you get another 20% for that first round, but that's it.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 03:43:34 AM »
"Only" another 20% activity available to devote to your attack? That's equivalent to a +30 bonus from a instantaneous spell (since you don't have the 10% Activity knock down on the spell that makes +15 effectively +5, etc.). I'm not going to look it up right now, but I believe that's a pretty high level spell for a Paladin. Even if it only counts at the start of a fight.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 09:23:46 PM »
Saving 20%Act is a pretty big deal for us too. Often life vs death.
The characters with this skill want to be good at it.. :)
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"