Author Topic: Profession Creation  (Read 1326 times)

Offline Athelstaine

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Profession Creation
« on: November 13, 2010, 10:55:01 PM »
 Hello everyone. I am currently planning an oriental campaign. I am using Oriental Companion along with Martial Arts Companion. Oh this will be using RMFRP ruleset. Since MA Companion does not have the professions that are within the Oriental book, are there rules to create professions from the ground up? I also do NOT plan on using the training packages.

Was thinking of just reverse engineering them in. Take for example ,lets say the Ninja. The Ninja is a variant of the Rogue class in regular RM. So what i was thinking was just use the rogue skill costs and use a ratio between the old and new skill costs for "archetype" skills that are associated with being a Ninja.

Example: Ninja's are well versed in Silent Kill. In OC the cost is 1/3. Since they are a variant of the Rogue and the Rogue cost is 1/4 while the cost is a 4/8 in RMFRP. Looks like they took the 4 and doubled it for the first rank and doubled again for the second rank 1/4 (4/8) so using that formula Silent Kill for a Ninja would be 3/6 versus a 4/8 for a rogue.

That's what i was planning as a quick and dirty method,but i would prefer to actually create the professions from the ground up if there was rules somewhere.
May i serve in Valhalla, better than i did in life.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
Re: Profession Creation
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 11:22:14 PM »
Ninja could probably just be done as a Rogue with some changes to Everyman and Occupational skills and Profession bonuses. Less work than trying to do point conversions across the change in costing philosophies (skill-by-skill and thousands [okay, dozens] of variant professions tweaking skill costs v. by skill category and a standard system of Restricted/Everyman/Occupation for tweaking individual skill costs).

It's a shame you aren't using Training Packages, because they'd be great for doing Ninja with. You could also do Ninja as a culture if you're modeling the period where whole Ninja clans were resisting Samurai domination. In either case, you could then have Fighter Ninjas and Warrior Monk Ninjas for the more aggressive types, Thief Ninjas for the stealth-obsessed, Layman Ninjas who mainly work on creating all the great Ninja equipment, Monk Ninjas for the supernaturally-gifted Ninja, etc.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 12:35:32 AM »
    IMHO a Ninja could either be a Rogue, Warrior Monk, or modified Monks and maybe a pure spell caster. I would also do it by TP in steps, so IMHO it would take 4-10 steps or TP's to work your way up through the Ninja ranks.

There are no official rules for profession creation and I have not seen any my self. But I think three is an article called Irregular Realms that might help. I think it is on Rasyrs website wizzardslair.com IIRC.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Athelstaine

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 12:41:13 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I'll take a look at at the site you mentioned.
May i serve in Valhalla, better than i did in life.

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 01:33:44 PM »
It's unofficial, but Vroomfogle had a very interesting approach to character creation.  In RMSS/RMFRP terms, every skill ends up with a Combined progression, but it's not bad, and DP costs come out almost perfectly.  He had a spreadsheet available as well, but I would recommend contacting him directly to see if he's willing to distribute it.
http://www.vroomfogle.com/hidden/profession-creation/

The Irregular Realms article in The Guild Companion was also a nice way to take existing Professions and tweak them slightly.  It's open for some abuse, but sometimes even that is fun.   :)
http://www.guildcompanion.com/scrolls/1999/mar/realms.html