Author Topic: Whips in HARP  (Read 1511 times)

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
Whips in HARP
« on: September 15, 2010, 03:09:57 PM »
Well I was creating a Goblin Harper NPC in HARP that I had envisioned using a whip and chanting to boost the morale among among her fellow Goblins.
The idea is from the Goblin Warchanters you can find in http://paizo.com/pathfinder/adventurePath/riseOfTheRunelords/v5748btpy7zkq that I am converting to test how their adventure paths would work with the HARP ruleset.

But no Whips do exist in HARP. No problem! I just lifted most of the info out of Rolemaster (Cost 2sp, Production Time 12hrs, Weight 2-5 lbs. or 0.5 lbs. (Arms Law 2003), Fumble 01-06). So far so good! But I am having a little trouble deciding on the size and damage type.

At first I was gonna let it be a Small Crush since Crush is the main critical in Rolemaster. But after some thought and looking over the critical tables in Martial Law (thats the ones I use) I am thinking about making the criticals Grapple instead of Crush. I am also thinking about reducing the size another step down to Tiny, I have always envisioned a whip as a weapon that causes more nuisance than actual serious harm but I am a bit worried that the additional step would make the Whip a bit to weak. So what do you think, what damage type and size should I go for?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 03:20:42 PM by Chorpa »

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Whips in HARP
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 04:10:14 PM »
After comparing the weapon sizes a bit more I feel that Small is the size to go with.
Still undecided if I should go with Crush or Grapple though.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 04:16:37 PM »
Small size, yes. But Slash or Grapple, not Crush I would say

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 04:41:34 PM »
Small size, yes. But Slash or Grapple, not Crush I would say
Agreed.
Slash or grapple... maybe dependent on how the user uses it in that instance...
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 05:56:42 PM »
I have actually been thinking about Slash too, but wanted to keep it line with the RM whip. But seems like I  have to reconsider.
Might go with both as suggested and basicly the user just have to state if he intend to snare (Grapple) or just hurt (Slash) his target, sounds like a decent selling point for the whip without making it overpowered.

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 06:50:16 AM »
I’d say tiny slash and/or small grapple. depending on how much choice you want. you could of course also add some penalty or bonus to the grapple, not that grappling at a distance is great a bonus in itself, of course there could be a bonus to the slash too, or just tie a knife/dagger on the end and wha-bam you could, in my opinion, go for perhaps a small slash.
It would also depend on the whip I guess, the standard Indiana Jones whip would perhaps be something along these lines, not that whips are at all my area of expertise (contemporary theatre on the other hand!).
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff