Author Topic: CC styles in RMFRP?  (Read 2968 times)

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
CC styles in RMFRP?
« on: June 21, 2009, 04:47:58 AM »
I like much the new styles in CC, it joins all the combat maneuvers into the style (but mounted combat, but that is totally different), so we have no need to limit the OB with the skill bonus, see if the weapon bonus shoudl be added to maneuver, etc. It is easier and more versatile.

Too, we have many new options to increase our OB, critical rolls, and so many. With the MAC handileng the styles creation, costs ans options is not so easy, we have 2-weapon combo as skill and style option. Another reason is that with the MAC rules there is much fear to create an style that have more than 30 points, because a combat skill developed as restricted can't be used really in game, how can I use my style with +90 OB if I can use my pure +130 OB?, in any case is much better to use the pure OB than the retricted style bonus definitely (for weaker foes and of course for strong foes). You only need to play and test it.
This really cuts our atyle progression at 30 style points, are not many options for an expert combatant IMO.

Then, with the new style cration we have the DP cost is higher with more options, but never becomes a restricted skill, that cuts so many our OB.

But, my question is, can be used CC styles with RMFRP combat system?, using RMFRP combat tables and criticals, and its armor system (AT1-20 with no DB by pieces). I'd like to know if someone has tested it and opinions about this.

And using them in RMFRP, as are changed to combined skills, they should be doubled in DP cost?, think that now there is no need to develop combat maneuvers so this is needed to have balance in skills costs.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
Re: CC styles in RMFRP?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 06:10:24 AM »
But, my question is, can be used CC styles with RMFRP combat system?, using RMFRP combat tables and criticals, and its armor system (AT1-20 with no DB by pieces). I'd like to know if someone has tested it and opinions about this.

Yes, I've used them since CC beta came out almost alwayse with RMFRP normal AT system with little or no problem at all.

And using them in RMFRP, as are changed to combined skills, they should be doubled in DP cost?, think that now there is no need to develop combat maneuvers so this is needed to have balance in skills costs.

IMHO no, the Style Points/ Baseline cost table already takes care of that. Characters' OB will be a little higher, but not so much (something like 5 or 10 points higher), but OTOH doubling costs would greatly penalize non-users.

Here's a small list of RMFRP skills which can be dropped if CC is in use:

Combat Manuevers
- 2 Weapon Fighting
- Weapon Style
- Reverse Stroke

MA Combat Manuevers
- Martial Arts Style

Special Attacks
- Brawling
- Disarm (Armed/Unarmed)
- Racial Attacks

Special Defenses
- Adrenal Defense

Plus: all skills in all the Weapon, Martial Arts and Directed Spells categories
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 01:02:27 PM »
 Also there are some notes at the beginning of CC Style Creation chapter that talk about using it with RMSS.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 01:11:52 PM »
the Style Points/ Baseline cost table already takes care of that

I thought about this because the costs in CC are for RMC that uses the RM2 system for DPs. In RMSS/RMFRP we have many more DPs (prepared for develop category + skill), then using the same cost than for RMC/RM2, is not so cheap?. Maybe a x1.5 could be good?.

I ask, as I have not used them yet I don't know if it is balanced using the base cost or need to increase.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 01:17:57 PM »
 I forgot to mention a house rule I use with the MAC, fighters, monks and Warrior Monks can lean 1 [2 in the case of Warrior Monks] restricted combat arts at unrestricted DP cost. I also like to see the Warrior Monk pick 1 weapon style and 1 hand to hand style but I have been persuaded to let some take 2 hand to hand or 2 weapon styles.

MDC

PS I will think on the DP difference as I am working on an adaption of the CC Style Rules for my future RMSS/SM:P games.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 04:26:20 PM »
the Style Points/ Baseline cost table already takes care of that

I thought about this because the costs in CC are for RMC that uses the RM2 system for DPs. In RMSS/RMFRP we have many more DPs (prepared for develop category + skill), then using the same cost than for RMC/RM2, is not so cheap?. Maybe a x1.5 could be good?.

I ask, as I have not used them yet I don't know if it is balanced using the base cost or need to increase.

Personally, I wouldn't change the DP costs - they are based on the DP costs already in use for the professions. Just treat the Weapon Category as one of those where there is no category ranks or bonuses to purchase. The skill themselves take care of this.

If you really think that the costs are too low, then just shift down a row on determining the style costs rather than trying to multiply the costs. Much easier.