Forum > Rolemaster

Players always choose AT 4 or AT 12

<< < (2/5) > >>

PiXeL01:
Even if they skin such animal they should but be able to produce them. The armor produced should be at2, or At5-10 though with bonuses I believe.

Now if you make it to a highly
Proficient  alchemist he might be able to make 4, 11 or 12 at great costs.

rdanhenry:
Honestly, having allowed to do this, I think it'd be terribly unfair to take it away. Consider it a lesson learned and don't let it happen in future campaigns. And do let them know that you made a mistake and it won't be repeated. Having really good armor should allow them to handle a bit more, but the nice thing about Rolemaster is that even with really good armor, you're still at risk any time you enter combat. And, you can just add a few extra orcs or whatever, knowing that the PCs are hard targets.

AT 2 is heavy robes. Like, full Catholic regalia. Or else arctic weather gear. It restricts more than it protects and, like several ATs, isn't really armor as such. Nobody ought to go into combat so weighed-down and not armored if they can avoid it. Wizard robes, as commonly portrayed, are generally less heavy (more like academic gowns), and I would treat them as AT 1.

Dreven1:

--- Quote from: rdanhenry on February 18, 2024, 12:34:23 AM ---AT 2 is heavy robes. Like, full Catholic regalia. Or else arctic weather gear. It restricts more than it protects and, like several ATs, isn't really armor as such. Nobody ought to go into combat so weighed-down and not armored if they can avoid it. Wizard robes, as commonly portrayed, are generally less heavy (more like academic gowns), and I would treat them as AT 1.

--- End quote ---

I also treat being nekked as AT2.  This is the worst armor type for both crit severity and damage. Wearing street clothes at AT1 is almost always better than AT2.  Thus, I have always believed the AT2 column should have been #1 and the AT1 column should be AT#2.

MisterK:
AT2 is not something you wear for protection. It's something you wear either for comfort, or for ceremony.

As such, it can be worse than street clothes. I wouldn't want to run around (or fight around) in ceremonial robes.

Even though most anime girls seem to be able to do that just right. Which simply proves again that those are worlds with different laws of physics :D

Spectre771:
In RM2, AT 12 we joked was "the armour of the gods" because of the bonuses.  However, there is a small blurb in the books that states AT isn't normally found for humans as it is natural armour for creatures and is included for completeness of the listing.  The armour can be obtained but it's extremely difficult to get, so on and so on.  The only way we allowed a PC to start out with it is if they rolled on the Magic Items Background Option and received a "+## magical item of choice."  Then the PC could say it is a family heirloom passed down through the generations and that is how the PC came to have it and therefore a good reason the PC is able to adventure.

The advantages of AT12 are because it is part of the creature and not "additional armour" added to a creature such as a human having additional armour added to their body.  It's like penalizing humans for wearing skin.

* there is a similar thread discussing this, but it's from years ago.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version