Author Topic: Foundry VTT  (Read 6722 times)

Offline Cynicide

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Foundry VTT
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2022, 11:57:12 PM »
This is some very good work. Can you give some insight as to what the learning curve in Foundry is like?

It's hard for me to say, I have a background in IT so it seems pretty manageable to me, but maybe not as manageable as something like Roll 20.

The things that attracted me to Foundry was that it was a one time fee, my players didn't need to buy anything and I could host it myself. For someone in a different position to me these might be downsides.

Any rulesets that are implemented are done by the community or the game publishers themselves. Sometimes these rulesets can break when a new version of the software is released so it can gain a reputation as being a bit intensive to maintain. However if you want a few weeks after a new release everything eventually catches up.

I tried Roll 20 and didn't like the fact that I didn't have control over my data. I ran Fantasy Grounds for a while but it was a little bit limited due to the age of the software and at the time I had to buy licenses for my players. With Foundry the just need a modern web browser.

Offline Cynicide

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2022, 09:57:38 AM »
This is the public repository where I'm publishing my work on the Rolemaster system for FoundryVTT. https://github.com/Cynicide/RMSS-FoundryVTT

As far as expectations go it's not anywhere near complete at the moment. You can start to generate a character but there are parts missing. There isn't much else.

You can download and install the system with instructions here: https://github.com/Cynicide/RMSS-FoundryVTT/blob/develop/docs/INSTALL.md

There are some general usage guidelines here: https://github.com/Cynicide/RMSS-FoundryVTT/blob/develop/docs/USAGE.md

Offline ImaginosMusic

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Pikes Peak or Bust!!!
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2022, 06:02:27 PM »
Thanks for your perspective on the development process. I am fairly schooled in learning new platforms myself. I have been thinking about diving in for a while now. I have already decided that I will use cloud hosting if I go Foundry. Just a bit of an expense over the cost for the app.

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2022, 06:56:32 PM »
Yeah, that was the same solution many GMs have to go through(added expense) due to their own PCs not being able to keep up with the data demands that slow Foundry clients to a crawl.
It soured me on the “only need a browser” claim after learning this and seeing the difference it made in a game firsthand.

It’s a great system for what they’re doing with it(token based hiding/invisibility vs other token’s Perception ability! along with multi level maps being automatic for switching based upon a player’s token being on LVLx vs another player being on LVLy) driving FG to be better.

Just nothing of quality, re: rulesets, not for the lack of community will and fervour - just experience and time, is all, but they’ll get there.

Offline Willot

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2022, 09:29:18 PM »
I wonder how hard it will be to convert this to RMU when it comes out?

Offline Cynicide

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2022, 01:08:41 AM »
I wonder how hard it will be to convert this to RMU when it comes out?

Hopefully not too hard. I'm deliberately trying to avoid any functionality that would tie it to one version. Although I started with RMSS I'm planning on digging into RMFRP to see where I can make it compatible.

Since I last posted I've been working towards being able to completely roll up a character. Which is about 80% done now. Just looking at T-6.6 and T-6.7 now. With T-6.6 since the maths are spelt out on the character sheet I could probably just auto calculate Concussion, Power and Exhaustion Point Penalties without the need for an extra tab.

I've added the ability to import Skill Categories from a Compendium rather than drag them one at a time, the system has a built in Compendium that has the Skill Categories from the Character Sheet.

You can see it in action here: https://i.imgur.com/PzWshG7.mp4

I've also added space for the Racial Resistance Modifiers and a Description box where you can take notes about your character.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2022, 09:22:31 PM »
I do really love that you are doing RMSS/FRP as I feel that these are under represented in the RM community, but they happen to be my favorite ruleset. Cannot wait until you release it into the wild.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Malvok

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Roll perception ... no, you don't notice anything.
    • Maelstrom Development
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2022, 09:24:11 AM »
I had contacted ICE back in January about designing something for Foundry VTT, but after a couple of back-and-forth emails I never heard from them again. I was pretty excited about the idea of playing Role/Spacemaster in Foundry but after not hearing from them I assumed they weren't interested and I didn't want to get Foxxed, so I dropped the idea completely.
Always on point, never in the back of the party.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2022, 09:47:17 PM »
That sounds very familiar.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline Camel1918

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2022, 04:53:10 PM »
Sorry late to the conversation again.

I've been using Foundry and the server assist "The Forge" for a while now. I've been working with a creator that has a D100 generic system (GRPGA). He has several different games using his system but they are all independent works. He has a Discord server call "Black Night Limited". He is very good to get right back to you and is willing to work with you on adding things for the game you use. He has worked on some generic things for me but I haven't talked to him in a little bit. Here is an invite for the Discord:   https://discord.gg/rV9NdgCS

I would really like to see something even simple get going on Foundry as I love the VTT. We have been using it for a couple of years after switching from Roll20. Can't afford Fantasy Grounds. I will not pay that.

Just talked to Jim the other day and he is willing to work with anyone to help develop the system for RM. He already has a character sheet and would like help to develop it more and put in it what we need.
I just wanted to update this thread as I feel it is important for this community. I use RMoffice to roll up my characters and NPC and Rolemaster Combat Minion for my combat help so I don't need any of that in the program but maybe you all would want something like that. All I would need on a program is character tracking, rolls for saves, static / move maneuvers, and other compulsory rolls.
If you are interested please give him a PM on Discord. His site is called "Black Night Limited", so give him a holler he needs our feedback.

Offline Cynicide

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2022, 04:57:07 AM »
Apologies for the extended break, we've had Covid go through the house. Still some work has been ongoing. Firstly I was contacted by Robert J Defendi who asked if I could add support for Spacemaster: Privateers. As such I've added the Spacemaster specific Skill Categories to their own compendium for import into a character

Secondly I've been working on a rudimentary dice roller. At the moment it exists separate to the character sheet. But you can roll each of the Rolemaster d100 based checks and it supported open ended rolls on the top and the bottom end. The next step would be to integrate into the character sheet.

Offline ranaceleb

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2022, 12:06:08 PM »
WOW! just wow. This is exactly what we need. We started a new campaign in RM after 20+ years. We started to use Foundry too over roll20 as Foundry is much better that roll20. I found that you are making character sheet for RM and wanted to ask a question or two. Our GM is using Forge to run this campaign and the system he is using is UESRPG d100, now for my question: is there any possibility to use your sheet in that system or do we need to make a new world and import our stuff to that one? And how to install your system to Forge?

Offline JamesH

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2023, 02:50:55 PM »
Sorry that I am so late to the game and thank you to those who have directed people to my Discord (which is where I spend almost all my time). I just wanted to post a few views of the current state of the d100-ice ruleset in my GRPGA system for Foundry VTT. I spent my 12 days of Christmas updating it to work on Foundry v10 and to really look carefully at how I could support play of any ICE d100 game (without infringing on their IP of course).
There is still work to be done to flesh out attacks and defences and spells, but rolling whatever you want, is done and it will adapt to any stat bonus modifier scheme you want and any skill or skill group bonus scheme you want as well.
There is a fairly complex combination of items used to define all the skill categories and their relationships to skills but the sample character contains a working example of them all to be replicated or translated to other editions of the game.
Here is the RMFRP sample character, Varyk the High Man Ranger.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2023, 08:28:20 PM »
Apologies for the extended break, we've had Covid go through the house. Still some work has been ongoing. Firstly I was contacted by Robert J Defendi who asked if I could add support for Spacemaster: Privateers. As such I've added the Spacemaster specific Skill Categories to their own compendium for import into a character

Secondly I've been working on a rudimentary dice roller. At the moment it exists separate to the character sheet. But you can roll each of the Rolemaster d100 based checks and it supported open ended rolls on the top and the bottom end. The next step would be to integrate into the character sheet.

Any update on when the public might be able to play with it?

Offline Cynicide

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2023, 05:58:26 PM »
Apologies for being absent. I took a break over the holidays as I am changing jobs. I expect to get back to this shortly.

All my development is public so you can play with it now if you don't mind doing some fiddling with foundry.

1. Go here: https://github.com/Cynicide/RMSS-FoundryVTT
2. Click the green Code button and click "Download Zip"
3. Unzip the download and drag the "rmss" folder in the FoundryVTT\Data\systems directory of your Foundry install.
4. When you start Foundry it will appear in the Systems tab and you can create a World using it

Offline ProjectAvalanche

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2023, 05:03:35 AM »
Hi there
I just stumbled over this forum some days ago and unaware of this topic, I started a Rolemaster 2 template for the Custom System Builder at begin of December.
It is not finished yet (i.e. I am half through the skills), but what is done can already be used.

Yea, it is a wild mixture of German and English and includes some homebrew rules, but this can be easily changed in the template without having programming skills.
My goal is to have as much of the rolls be done by the sheet as my math can do.
Just the open ended rolls my group prefer not to be done automatic.
I.e. System Initiative can be changed with dropdown between quickness (for fighters) and memory (for spell users). Initiative formula in the Custom System Builder settings has to be set to:   [2d10]+ini
Skill description, Piks will be paced as links to journals. Spells are placed as PDF Links, using the PDF Pager module.

More pictures can be seen here:  https://gitlab.com/ProjectAvalanche/csb-rolemaster2/-/tree/main/pics
The actual template can be downloaded here:  https://gitlab.com/ProjectAvalanche/csb-rolemaster2/-/blob/main/rolemaster2-20230123.zip

Any comment to this is welcomed.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2023, 08:47:04 AM »
Looks nice. Very easy to use.

'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline ProjectAvalanche

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2023, 06:35:27 AM »
Everything from the basic plan is done.
https://gitlab.com/ProjectAvalanche/csb-rolemaster2/-/blob/main/rolemaster2-20230329.zip

It will be published via the official CSB template repository in the next days.
https://gitlab.com/custom-system-builder/custom-system-builder/-/tree/develop/sheet-library

But I am still searching and testing even more features.

Offline greville

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Grev's Space
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2023, 12:39:42 AM »
Cyanide, could you share your macro for the die rolls?
I'm moving from Roll20 to Foundry. We just have a macro for open ended rolls where people can type in the skill name and the value then roll. I'm trying to recreate this in Foundry which does the open ending upwards no problem, but I cannot get it to open end downwards.
The sacred sentence of science: "I might be wrong: let's find out." - David Brin

Offline ProjectAvalanche

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2023, 03:43:17 AM »
I am using the "special effects" form the modul "Dice so Nice" for showing open ending rolls.
I is fun to have a fanfare and firework on a 100.